PDA

View Full Version : Eastman case problem

Steve Davis
Feb-29-2008, 3:40pm
I just bought a new Eastman 605 A-style mandolin and the compartment for the headstock is 3/16" narrower than the distance between the outer two tuner buttons. Because of this I have to angle the mandolin into the case and then force it flat before closing the case. I wonder if this is common. I'm a bit concerned that the tuners will get damaged or that the case itself will get damaged. Is this common? I contacted the dealer and they said that Eastman does not have separate cases available but they would check into it. So far I have not heard back from them yet. Does anybody else have the same situation with their Eastman case? I love the mandolin and don't want it damaged. Thanks for any replies. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

JEStanek
Feb-29-2008, 3:44pm
Steve, I'm assuming this is the rectangular case with the two compartments on either side of the headstock. Could just be a one off from a manufactuing error. My Eastman 814 fit just fine. No cramping, squeezing, angleing issues at all. The 814 wouldn't fit the Eastman fiberglass case b/c of the short neck. I've never used their shaped (non-fiberglass) case - which I think is standard only for the 500 series mandolins.

See if you can trade out cases with your dealer.

Jamie

MikeEdgerton
Feb-29-2008, 3:52pm
Is the case an Eastman case as well or some generic case? The Eastman A headstock is an odd shape in relationship to standard A style headstocks.

mandroid
Feb-29-2008, 4:01pm
perhaps dealer will ship a different case ,and credit your card when the one that is NFG is in his hands?
TKL shaped A are one to try [send measurements to the seller]

recon
Feb-29-2008, 4:02pm
I've had three of these cases. I had a similar problem with one of the cases but the other two worked fine. I had to angle the headstock to get it into the compartment, but it did not require any force. I think it is just inconsistancy in the manufacturing process. I still use the case with the narrower headstock compartment, I'm just careful putting in and taking out the mandolin.

Steve Davis
Feb-29-2008, 4:11pm
Yes it is the standard Eastman rectangular case with the compartments on both sides of the neck. It also "features" 5 magnetic snaps which try to close themselves after unsnapping to unzip the top prior to releasing the metal catch. Seems like a lot of work to open but I guess it provides more security. Hopefully the dealer will be able to get a replacement case without too much difficulty.

Stephen Perry
Feb-29-2008, 4:18pm
Some are narrow. I've returned several. Some of the mandolins are wide set on the tuners, too. So if one is tight I'll switch things around until something works.

SChase@EastmanStrings
Mar-03-2008, 12:34pm
I have not seen this myself, but Steve sees enough to spot things like these. You can talk to your dealer about swapping it or you can upgrade to one of our fiberglass cases. Have you dealer contact me.

Steve Ostrander
Mar-06-2008, 11:43am
I had 2 Eastman cases for a while, and they were not interchangeable. But one housed an MK and I just assumed that it was built for it.

Stephen Perry
Mar-06-2008, 10:01pm
I've fixed a couple as well. Pull out the compartments, peel the lining, recut, plug holes, drill wider. Too much trouble, but I needed to ship immediately. Might be fun for some!

Randy King
Mar-14-2008, 4:20pm
Check with your Dealer, He will most likely make it right!!

Paul F
Mar-15-2008, 7:36am
I just had to return an Eastman oblong case because the cavity for the body of the mandolin was too short for my f-5 style mandolin; it wouldn't accomodate the tail pin and the scroll at the same time. Never got to see if the headstock would fit.

Dr. Jazz
Mar-16-2008, 12:12pm
I had a similar case, but I used my Dad's advice. #"Don't force it, just get a bigger hammer!" #:-)
Just kidding!! #:-)
Actually I have seen some unit to unit variation in the Eastman cases, but never enough to cause problems. #I've just been lucky, I guess. #;-)

Stephen Perry
Mar-16-2008, 12:29pm
All the standard size mandolins I've had through fit in them. Perhaps the mandolin in question is slightly large. They do exist, slightly oversize instruments.

Stanley Cox
Mar-17-2008, 9:08am
Same type case, but different problem. The velcro tab that goes around the neck has come loose. It appears to have been glued in. What kind of glue would work? It is all cloth lining.
Thanks, Stanley http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-31-2008, 4:09am
I thought that i'd post this note in order to draw attention to a couple of minor problems with the current Eastman 'Violin style' rectangular case.
The one above re,the headstock room is important & maybe Eastman should re-examine the
headstock compartment issue. The other thing is their use of magnetic outer covering catches - they are a PAIN !. You unfasten each set of fasteners & then you have to hold the fasteners apart to stop them from re-fastening while you then open the lock on the case. It's a minor problem but one that could be over come by the use of good 'press stud' type fasteners. I know i'm not the only person to have this beef with the cases.
#Re.Stanleys problem above with the velcro strap. Not used to having this type of strap in my other cases,on a couple of occasions i forgot it was there & almost tried to lift the Mandolin from it's case with the strap still fastened - not a good idea. I cut out the existing straps with a scalpel,bought some white velcro & fastened the loops & hooks to the case with some strong staples then covered these over with small pieces of velvet.
The strap is now very visible & it'll make sure i dont forget to unfasten it again,
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Saska

Stanley Cox
Mar-31-2008, 8:53am
Saska, The white or contrasting color velcro is a good idea. These seem like decent cases, but you need 3 hands sometimes. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Stanley http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Stephen Perry
Mar-31-2008, 4:44pm
Cut off the flap if it is trouble.

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-01-2008, 3:54am
Steve - I do hope that you were joking re.cutting off the flap !. If you had a car on which the doors kept closing before you had a chance to get it,i think that you'd be a bit annoyed. Anything which interferes with 'ease of use' is poor design. Why make things difficult to use when an extra bit of thought can make things so much more user friendly ?,
Saska

Stephen Perry
Apr-01-2008, 5:26am
I'm not joking. I don't like the flaps, but nobody asked me.

Making the case more user friendly is exactly what I had in mind. It's a compromise design to keep water out of the case if carried in the rain. I don't carry cases in the rain for more than a few seconds, so I don't need the flap. Can also pull the cover off, open the seam, remove the flap, and sew up. I've seen were that's been done, but don't have a machine that will sew the canvas.

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-02-2008, 2:37am
I don't mind the case 'flaps' at all,it's just that those magnets make it more difficult than it should be to open the case. There are other cases that have similar outer coverings ie. Bobelok, which appear to have press studs rather than the magnetic catches,which i must add,do work very well,in fact TOO well !.Other than the magnets,i am very pleased with all other aspects of the case,
Saska

Stephen Perry
Apr-02-2008, 6:26am
Take off the magnets. Some other cases use them, too. Annoying. Sew on velcro strips.