PDA

View Full Version : New Ryder mandolin

Dave Hicks
Jun-17-2004, 9:51am
The options that I chose were:
Swamp ash body, natural finish
Rosewood board, marker at 9th fret
Lighter finish on back of neck
Two single coil pickups (humbucker in middle position)
Tortoise guard
Large (banjo) frets

Lee
Jun-17-2004, 3:43pm
Nice looking emando!
How does it sound in humbucking mode? Could you please tell us what string gauges you're using, and what is the outside dimension of the strings at the nut and bridge. The strings appear very far apart.

Dave Hicks
Jun-18-2004, 2:25pm
Nut width: 1 3/16"
String spacing at bridge: 1 5/16"

Both the neck and combined positions sound great. #I may not use the bridge pickup alone too often, as it is very trebly.

Edited:
String gauges recommended by Steve are .011, .014, .025, .039.

Christian McKee
Jun-18-2004, 6:18pm
B-E-A-utiful! Love this guy's work... I use my bridge single mode when I'm playing electrified bluegrass-y material.

Taboot, Taboot,

Christian

dlwillms
Jun-30-2004, 5:17am
Looks really nice. I have been checking out his web page for some time now. Trying to decide between the EM-24 and the EM-44. I currently have a Fender FM-60E which is OK, but the pickups really need upgrading. Also, I'm not wild about 5 strings... For the cost, the Ryder would seem like the way to go.

Tom C
Jun-30-2004, 5:22am
Why a marker on the 9th fret?

Dave Hicks
Jun-30-2004, 7:17am
I'm a guitar player, mostly - the standard 10th fret marker makes me even more confused than usual.

Dave Hicks
Jun-30-2004, 7:19am
You can hear the humbucker configuration of this mando on the electric version of Fisher's Hornpipe:

http://users.manchester.edu/Facstaff/DJHicks/musicindex.htm

potatoe
Jun-30-2004, 9:32am
hahahhahaha digging the swing feel

Sellars
Jun-30-2004, 12:10pm
Wow! super looking mando! I love the body contour. I also always like the headstock on ryders, their plain, simple, and gorgeous

Sellars
Jun-30-2004, 12:20pm
I'm listening now to your electric version of Fisher's Hornpipe. Wow!! what a super sound! would you tell us how you did it? What's your secret, apart from the kick a** mando?

Which amp do you use, and are you using any effects?

superb!

Dave Hicks
Jul-01-2004, 7:16am
Thanks for your comments!
Recording details:
EM-44, both pickups on, tone knob rolled all the way to the bass end
Gretsch 6150 amp (sort of equivalent to a tweed Champ)
Boss 864 digital studio
I don't recall exactly what I did post-recording. I added some reverb, and probably a short delay. I don't think I changed the EQ on this one.

Dave Hicks