PDA

View Full Version : Weber elite - distressed

Rick Banuelos
Feb-26-2008, 11:20am
This instrument was custom-built for Rhonda Vincent, and it will be VERY difficult to let it go.

For STV-

14" Scale Length
Adirondack Spruce Top
1 1/16" Nut Width
Hand-Rubbed Spirit Varnish

... the rest is visible.

Rick Banuelos
Feb-26-2008, 11:21am
Full View

Rick Banuelos
Feb-26-2008, 11:22am
Back

Rick Banuelos
Feb-26-2008, 11:23am
Fretboard and scroll close-up

Rick Banuelos
Feb-26-2008, 11:24am
Neck Profile

Rick Banuelos
Feb-26-2008, 11:24am
Back Close-up

Rick Banuelos
Feb-26-2008, 11:25am
Photos, as usual, are by Dan Albright.

Rick Banuelos
Feb-26-2008, 11:27am
The sheen and feel of our varnish feels very distinctive.

Kevin K
Feb-26-2008, 11:30am
Wow, great work, thanks for sharing.

Rick Banuelos
Feb-26-2008, 11:53am
Thanks, Kevin-

Headstock shot

Rick Banuelos
Feb-26-2008, 11:54am
Another angle...

Rick Banuelos
Feb-26-2008, 11:56am
I have over 40 pictures of this instrument; I think I should stop after this one...

mandopete
Feb-26-2008, 12:04pm
Any sound clips?

The bridge looks unusal too, is that something special at Weber?

BTW - very nice photo's too!

Bill Snyder
Feb-26-2008, 12:48pm
I believe the bridge is a Brekke Traditional. (http://www.soundtoearth.com/prod_tradbridge.htm)

steve V. johnson
Feb-26-2008, 1:04pm
Ahh, Rick...

You're so kind to think of me when providing wonderful detailed information for -everyone-! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Distressing is becoming its own art form, I guess... #Interesting. #

Again, -great- pictures!

I really enjoy that the pick wear spot is so far forward, suggesting that it's been strummed hard. #Nice. #
Who got to do that part of the "distressing"? #Or... did you use a Georgia Strummer? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Thanks very much, and congrats on a very, very handsome instrument.

stv

Rick Banuelos
Feb-26-2008, 1:10pm
I really enjoy that the pick wear spot is so far forward, suggesting that it's been strummed hard. #Nice. #
Who got to do that part of the "distressing"? #Or... did you use a Georgia Strummer? # # # # # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
Brett and John did the majority of the distressing of this one. We do it by hand by doing chop chords...

Thanks for the kind comments; this is a truly great mandolin.

Dfyngravity
Feb-26-2008, 4:37pm
Im going to go out on a limb here and say that is by far one of the best looking mandolins I have ever seen. The distressing is done just beautifully, it truely fools you in its age. Very stunning mandolin there.

Nick Triesch
Feb-26-2008, 4:53pm
Wow!! An 84 year old Weber!!!!!That is just too cool. Weber mandolins just get better and better. Thanks Rick, Nick Triesch

Lane Pryce
Feb-28-2008, 12:18pm
Very nice. The distressing is not overly done and has a very authentic vibe ---- you guys really created a fantastic F5 here. Sound clips would be stellar. I don't think the lady would be opposed. Lp

amowry
Feb-28-2008, 3:19pm
Looks great, Rick!

TeleMark
Feb-28-2008, 5:19pm
Stunning. Absolutely jaw-dropping.

Rick Schmidlin
Feb-28-2008, 7:26pm
I like the the two Elites Greg Boyd has for sale.Looks nice but I am not a fan of distressed.

bahed
Mar-23-2008, 11:25pm
I'm with you ToneMonster. I absolutely love that color and everything else... except the distressed look. But I'm the same old codger that thinks that acid-washed jeans are just stupid: pay more to get less !!

I guess also...well the Weber version of the Gibson pot...not so much, either. But now I'm nit picking !!

If I had $11 large laying around I'd be ordering one. And for that kind of money hanging around their shop whilst they built it !!

mandolooter
Mar-24-2008, 10:14am
That would be one of the top 5 scroll shots I've ever seen, awesome looking mandolin!

F5G WIZ
Mar-25-2008, 11:55pm
I played a distressed Weber at the Mandolin Store before he moved to AZ. I though it was very tastefully distressed, didn't look "worn out" like some other brands of distressed mandos. Very nice work! And priced well too! In comparison to other brands of distressed mandos that is.

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-26-2008, 11:05am
#But I'm the same old codger that thinks that acid-washed jeans are just stupid: pay more to get less !!
One of the nice things we get older is got the real stuff. My jackets and jeans have that vintage look that goes with long ponytail. If I want new I get Valintino or Prada,not the gap. The only vinatge anything I liked was the Harley Heritage in 86, and it was retro not distressed.