PDA

View Full Version : New kimble a5

JimRichter
Feb-25-2008, 3:11pm
Howdy all

I'd gotten out of the business of extolling the virtues of any mandolin I was playing at the moment, but I feel I need to share about the one I just got.

As some know, I am friends with Will Kimble and have played his mandolins for the last 3 or 4 years. In that time, I've had an F5, a two point, and the blonde A5 I lot of you have seen on YouTube.

As good as those mandolins were, this one unapologetically kicks their butts. Will redid operations a couple years ago, committed to the idea of producing the most Loar sounding mandolins available today. As I am not qualified to judge something as "Loar"-like, I do know a good mandolin and this one has it in spades.

I made a little video over at YouTube showing it off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld0K2W9cnY8

I forsee this being the last F hole instrument I'll need. I've gotten over the scroll-envy and am actually preferring to play F-hole A's. This instrument, coupled with the Gil A oval hole I'll see next year, should cure what ever is ailing me.

Jim

F5G WIZ
Feb-25-2008, 3:13pm
Very nice Jim. Will does an amazing job.

JimRichter
Feb-25-2008, 3:27pm
Figured I ought to post some photos

JimRichter
Feb-25-2008, 3:27pm
next

JimRichter
Feb-25-2008, 3:28pm
next

tkdboyd
Feb-25-2008, 3:35pm
How's the CTS? Has this mandolin helped?

JimRichter
Feb-25-2008, 3:38pm
Hard to know since I just got it (the mandolin was just completed two days ago!). But, between the small neck and the radius, it feels very comfortable. Should make a difference.

Jonathan Peck
Feb-25-2008, 3:54pm
Nice one! I sure know what you mean about not needing another 'f' holed instrument. Will sure does make a nice mando.

Steve Cantrell
Feb-25-2008, 4:00pm
Cold chills, Jim. Can't wait to get home and hear this thing--YouTube filtered at work.

sgarrity
Feb-25-2008, 4:09pm
Right nice and mighty powerful tone!

dan@kins
Feb-25-2008, 4:20pm
Congrats. I've been following your quest from afar.

stevem
Feb-25-2008, 5:39pm
Beauty!

Chris Biorkman
Feb-25-2008, 6:18pm
Sounds great. Nice playing too. I always like your clips.

mandomick
Feb-25-2008, 6:57pm
Top notch playing and tone as usual. Congrats! In your opinion do the new Waverlys feel as smooth and precise as the old ones?

JimRichter
Feb-25-2008, 9:35pm
The Waverly's do feel as good as the old ones. In fact, they actually feel smoother than the old ones.

Jim

mandomick
Feb-25-2008, 9:59pm
Thanks Jim. I find a new instrument inspiring and hope the same on ya'.

Kbone
Feb-26-2008, 7:29am
Sounds great out of the box, the mids are fantastic - enjoy.

Lane Pryce
Feb-26-2008, 9:21am
Great A. Lp

mandopete
Feb-26-2008, 10:43am
Jim - sounds great! This really should put an end to the notion of having to play an F-style for that Loar sound.

Gary Hedrick
Feb-27-2008, 9:09am
Mighty fine........mighty fine.........looks like Mr Kimble knows how to nail the old Loar look with that back..........and the sound ain't half bad also...

JimRichter
Feb-27-2008, 9:20am
Mighty fine........mighty fine.........looks like Mr Kimble knows how to nail the old Loar look with that back..........and the sound ain't half bad also...
Gary--you coming down to my gig on Sunday? Will told me that you and brother Dave will be in attendance. Should be a Kimble-Fest. I'm anxious to hear you beat on the F5 that Will will have in tow.

Jim

Gary Hedrick
Feb-27-2008, 10:07am
Yes we will.........I am looking forward to hearing you play and also to hear Will and get a chance to see his latest creations...

F5G WIZ
Feb-27-2008, 4:35pm
Jim, hope you get to attend the Monroe Camp in Sept. #Would love to take a look at your new Mando. #Maybe we can drag Will down there too.
What do you say Will, we could car pull? I'll drive.

Cheryl Watson
Feb-28-2008, 11:01am
Hey Jim, you sure know a good mandolin when you hear one!
I also own a Kimble. I'd love to play your A-style someday; It's really classy looking!! I listened to the video--videos, as we all know, do not represent the sound that well, but I CAN tell how clean, even, and powerful it is if not the complexities of the tone.

Cheryl http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

earthsave
Feb-28-2008, 1:18pm
Congrats on your new baby!! She looks sweet.

Mark Walker
Feb-28-2008, 5:38pm
Jim - very nice in all respects. Great playing and it sounds great already.

Congratulations and good luck with that baby! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Will Kimble
Feb-28-2008, 7:42pm
Hey Darrin, I am gonna try to attend the Monroe-Style Mandolin Camp this year - stay in touch!

Will Kimble

Gary Hedrick
Mar-03-2008, 8:42am
Had a chance last evening to watch Jim Richter and Gordon Bonham play the BLUES in downtown Bloomington Indiana. The music was very good and done by two high quality muscians. The Kimble A5 is indeed the real deal. Had a chance to play it before their gig and I was very impressed with the tone and volume/response of the instrument.....only a few weeks old and already it was that cutting, vibrate your teeth kind of response on the E and A strings down the neck along with the woody sound of the G and D strings in the up the neck D position. I am a "hit it hard" type of player and the instrument didn't choke up at all. If I was playing it I would raise the action a little but even with a little lower action it didn't slack off. The fit and finish are very, very good.....it feels great in hand and looks great.

Got to play the Cotton Music non standard peghead F5 of Will's. Oh my!! Nice..............or perhaps in the old guy bluegrass terms "Mighty fine...Mighty fine".........The young man knows how to make a Loar instrument....So you have the sound of a Loar and the exceptional craftsmanship/fit/finish of a today's top luthier in one package and for less than 10k......Hmmm I put my order in on the spot.......

To finish .......Jim's playing was a treat.....an interesting mix of Jethro, Wakefield and Monroe and other sounds put together in an interesting and lively mix. No note factory playing there.....lot's of phrasing and punch that fit into the overall context of what they were trying to get done... I liked it!

So in summary....the A5 is as advertised in my mind and sounds as good as it looks....

JimRichter
Mar-03-2008, 12:35pm
Gee, Gary, tell us what you really think http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Thanks for coming out!

Jim

Kevin Briggs
Mar-03-2008, 12:39pm
The Kimble I played at IBMA this year was second to none. I was thoroughly and completely impressed by his work. It's top-notch for sure. yours looks like no exception to that rule. You should be ecstatic... congratualtions! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Gary Hedrick
Mar-03-2008, 12:47pm
Well Jim, I'm not known for being shy when it is a chance to complement folks....I will pull back when I don't think things are very good. ie. there is no reason to poop on someone or something but every reason to be positive when it is deserved. I seen so much junk through the years both in playing ability and quality of instruments that it's fun to see nice things for a change....

Back to being a old sour puss engineer........

Mastertone08
Jul-20-2008, 4:00pm
Hello Jim,

I certainly enjoyed your report on the new Kimball. I am working now on specs for a new A-type mandolin. Now that several months have passed I wondering how the new lightweight Waverly's are performing for you?

Also, are these are the nickel plated versions? Finally, it does not appear the black knobs are removable on your mandolin. Please confirm. Any additional information will be helpful and appreciated. The Stew-Mac website is a bit cryptic.

I am really enjoying your East Tennessee Blues. Super job and will be a classic before long.

Many thanks,

Dave

Andrew DeMarco
Jul-20-2008, 4:03pm
Wow. Those high notes are just incredible.

JimRichter
Jul-22-2008, 3:06pm
Hello Jim,

I certainly enjoyed your report on the new Kimball. I am working now on specs for a new A-type mandolin. Now that several months have passed I wondering how the new lightweight Waverly's are performing for you?

Also, are these are the nickel plated versions? Finally, it does not appear the black knobs are removable on your mandolin. Please confirm. Any additional information will be helpful and appreciated. The Stew-Mac website is a bit cryptic.

I am really enjoying your East Tennessee Blues. Super job and will be a classic before long.

Many thanks,

Dave
The new lightweight Waverlys work just fine. No, the buttons on the A Waverlys are not removable.

As far as East Tennessee Blues, that's my version of Mike Compton's recorded version on Butch Robins' Grounded, Centered, Focused (which is a classic album in its own right).

Jim