PDA

View Full Version : I think i want to write a book

Baron Collins-Hill
Feb-24-2008, 12:24am
Well, over the last year or so I have been thinking about how people learn to play instruments and the way that I have learned and have been taught. I am currently working on a website (MandoLessons (http://www.mandolessons.com)), and while there is not much there now it has really got me thinking about teaching techniques and theories and the ways to master an instrument and all that fun stuff.

Cutting to the chase, I really want to write a book. It would be a combination of a practical and theoretical progression of musicianship that is based around the mandolin and infused with some history and whatnot here and there. It would stray from the "here's a chord, heres how to play it, go at it" approach that I see in far too many instruction books and center around the whole idea of music.

To spare a lot of blathering about specifics, I guess what I really want to do is write a book that is a balance between practical, theoretical, historical, and psychological thoughts about music with a concentration on the mandolin. Rather than reading the book as if it were an instructional text, it would be read like a story. Instead of talking about how to play the mandolin, I would like to talk about how to play the mandolin and why, creating a (hopefully) seamless understanding so that rather than the reader knowing what they are doing, they begin to understand what they are doing and why it is being done.

My only thoughts against doing this are as follows.

I am by no means an expert of the mandolin, but i believe that what i know is correct and that i do have some information that may be valuable to others.

Since this idea has only occurred to me recently (about a year ago), I am unsure about how qualified I feel about my understanding of music and the mandolin. I feel that I am a competent player and a competent theorist, but there are a lot of people here and all over the world that are a lot more skilled and know a lot more than I do on the subjects I would be talking about. Also, I dont know how many people want to listen to a 19 year old kid talk about what he thinks in regards to music.

My main motivation for this idea is my complete obsession with music. I have been playing the mandolin for about 7 years, but it has rather consumed my life and everything I do. I've given up reading popular books and end up gravitating towards articles on music cognition and books about acoustics and sound and music history.

While I have a lot of music going on upstairs, I feel like I am still only at the very beginning of my musical endeavors and don't want people reading what I have to say, only to look back in a few years and feel awful for telling these people all this garbage that I thought i knew.

After all this uncertainty, however, I still feel compelled to write my thoughts.

Should I keep this idea going or shut it up until I am 50?

For anyone that actually managed to slog through that, I commend you.

Thanks for the time,
Baron

homeslice
Feb-24-2008, 12:42am
I say go for it. You seem to have a lit fire right now and it may not be there when you are 50 (hope it will though). As for the age thing...so what. Im sure there are a lot of people hung up on that, but there are also a lot of people that understand that you can learn something from anybody. People will take what they can from it anyway. Some more than others, but that isn't under your control. Just make sure that it's something that you can see through to the end so that you dont set yourself up for personal pressures that you cant handle.

In the end you will have created something that wasn't there before....and thats cool. The concept sounds very interesting and like it would be a good read. I wish you all the luck if you decide to pursue it. Let us know how it's coming along.

Stephanie Reiser
Feb-24-2008, 7:20am
Baron, I think that such a book has a place in this world. I also believe that your approach to the project seems like a reasonable one. I do know that you are a very good player of the mandolin, and are able to speak the language. This is a good project, and if it were me I would begin by outlining the book, chapter by chapter, and then expand on this outline. I would take my time, and really do some research.
You mentioned only being nineteen years of age. That is not a bad thing, and as someone how knows you personally, I am aware that you are very intelligent and mature. The only drawback of your age is that a potential publisher will want to know your qualifications, i.e. experience, college degrees, years spent in a teaching environment and/or performances given. In other words, what makes you qualified to write such a book, other than the fact that you can play several instruments quite well. In the non-fiction publishing world that is just the way it is.
But that doesn’t mean it is impossible to have this book published with your current credentials. Again, I would start with an outline and think of this project as a long term one. I am assuming you are pondering a thick volume rather than one of those thin, magazine-like, books you see on the ‘net. There is hope for getting this project published, and I can talk to you off-list about a particular publisher who would be likely to take this project on, (at no expense to you).
Great idea! I hope to see it come to fruition. If you need any help, or need someone to help edit, let me know.
Stephanie

Mandobar
Feb-24-2008, 7:40am
baron, it is so easy to self publish and market your book these days. and then let as many people read the manuscript as will and take their comments (constructive comments) with an open mind. since you are in maine, look up baron wormser (he lives in hallowel i believe). he was/is a teacher, professor and works with young writers. he has written a very lively account of his "settling in maine" some years ago that was just published. he can give you a bit of guidance also.

LateBloomer
Feb-24-2008, 8:02am
Sounds like a good balance! I'm one of those TAB addicted players who is just now (after five years) trying to get some theory, ear training, playing by ear, sight reading, singing, etc. It probably would have been much better to learn these things along the way. I have memorized tunes - but knowing how to improvise based on the chords..... well lets just say none of my books suggested I could - or how to do it.

Seems like you would be filling a void in the instructional world. Good luck!
Leigh Ann

JGWoods
Feb-24-2008, 8:11am
You say you feel compelled to write you thoughts- so write them.
Publishing, or not, can come later.

Daniel Wheeler
Feb-24-2008, 9:33am
Go for it. Check out the inner game of music to expand your ideas you've mentioned

LKN2MYIS
Feb-24-2008, 9:35am
Do it.

Age isn't an issue. I don't think I know the age of any author that I read. It doesn't matter.

If you have something of value to offer, then offer it.

I for one would be intetested in getting a copy.

Rick Parrish
Feb-24-2008, 9:48am
I have to agree with the other posters; you've got the motivation and the intelligence to pull it off. After looking at your web site (and as a beginning mandolinist, I have the perspective of a "consumer") I would say when your web site is finished, you will have put half the pack behind you. So, considering that you have only begun "publishing" in a sense and you're already better than many at conveying the basics to beginning mandolinists, you owe it to yourself and the public to go forward with it.

You'll be able work out any rough spots on your web site with the help of all your on-line brothers and sisters and you can translate that and all the other "wholistic music" goodies into print when you're ready a year from now or ten years from now; however it works out for you.

The marketing machine of the big publishers is pretty powerful, but with a few donations and some cash from friends, relatives and "angels" you could also self-publish which seems to be a viable option these days. Since yours is a small market relative to let's say, a murder mystery or self-help book, you may already be in touch with the greatest share of your buyers through listservs, forums, youtube, etc. Additionally, you will no doubt get world-class advice just for the asking right here on Mandolin Cafe. When you're putting your own money on the line, good criticism from some of these folks is like money in the bank.

Bottom line is: I'll buy it and I'm sure many others will too. Learning music is like learning a language and most linguists agree that immersion is the best way to learn. I like your wholistic approach and the fact that despite the strong opinions and fanatical dedication people feel for one style of music or instrument (or whatever else we come up with to flap our jaws about) you recognize the "oneness" of our pursuit of music. Go for it!

TeleMark
Feb-24-2008, 10:00am
Sounds like a good read. The closest analog I can think of would be "Zen Guitar" which is not an instructional book as all but gets into the mindset/philosophy of playing. If you could blend the two approaches I'd certainly be on board.

Baron Collins-Hill
Feb-25-2008, 9:23am
Wow, thank you everyone for the advice and support. I agree that, published or not, it is a great way to organize my thoughts. Maybe I can use it as an aspect of my senior thesis in college. that gives me a good 4 more years.

Thanks,
Baron

TonyP
Feb-25-2008, 11:08am
While I want to encourage you too Baron, I would like to add my perspective. While I think it's great as a young man you have the zeal to tackle the thought of a book about your obsession, I don't think we need another tome. I personally don't think it unreasonable that it could take till your 50 to write the definitive version. Not to imply you are slow, but the boiling down of precise thought(truth) takes time, and sometimes other life experiences. Lots of authors have a hard time publishing a book like this, as it's almost never done.
I am in awe of simplicity. I look at books like Tao Te Ching, the Hua Hu Ching, and how they can encompass all of life, in 80 or 90 mostly blank pages. And it's said Lao Tzu didn't write them until he was very old, on his way outta Dodge. The last gatekeeper asked him to write a book of his teachings before he was never seen again. And you can see in the teachings, and it's said, you can point the direction, but it's tough to define.

Music is like that for me, and it would seem that way for you too. There is a language for it(theory/notation), but there's another whole side of it that seems mystical. MAS is the material side. And while there seems to be clones of all the great players around, it's only a frozen little snapshot of who they are that's being emulated. They never play with the soul of the original. But one day, they will find it and have their own voice.

I would love to see what you write for your senior thesis, and see if it's really done or just another beginning. When you think of how far you've come in 7yrs, can you imagine even where you are going to be in 4yrs? I'm also in awe how fast the youngin's evolve, and wonder why.