PDA

View Full Version : Have it naroowed down to two?!

Carole F
Jun-16-2004, 5:59pm
I have been lurking around your site for the past two days trying to get information to help my 14 year old son make a good descision on purchasing his first mandolin. You guys have been a HUGE help.

We have it narrowed down to two.....I think! We are looking at a Mid-Mo M-11 or a Michael Kelly Legacy FS. Both are in the price range he wants to spend and they seem like good mandolins.

I would really be interested in your opinions.

My son has been playing guitar for 5 years, also plays banjo.

Thanks in advance!
Carole

Scotti Adams
Jun-16-2004, 6:06pm
..I'd probably go with the Michael Kelly if it was my decision...

John Flynn
Jun-16-2004, 8:05pm
They are both good instruments. I would go with the Kelly if he is primarily interested in bluegrass. For anything else, I would go with the Mid-mo. The M-11 is my personal favorite of thier models. The real key, though, is that if possible, your son should spend some time playing both mandolins and perhaps some others. He might also want to hear someone else playing them also. Then he should go with his gut. "Bonding" with an instrument is a key part of instrument buying satisfaction, IMHO.

PCypert
Jun-17-2004, 1:04pm
The Mid Mo hands down. Teach him to go for quality and good customer service rather than looks and fancy appointments. Too many kids go for looks of instruments (ooh a blue acoustic...or look at that killer inlayed electric with points all over it) and don't learn to select real wood, quality made instruments from local builders. The people at Mid Mo are some of the nicest and easiest people to work with I've found in anything...not just instruments. They play great and will get him further than the Kelly. They aren't strictly bluegrass, but can handle it fine. Especially for a beginner. Trust me...you'd rather hear the nice oval hold tone coming from a beginner.
Paul
Paul

Moose
Jun-17-2004, 2:02pm
I would say.. - either one - both good choices for your son ; obviously you've done your "homework" - with the help of the CAFE input(s) - I'd say whichever you can get the best $$$$ on. The two choices - I feel - will/would be of equal quality and value. Just my .02 - Let us know how-goes-it.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Jun-17-2004, 2:20pm
Did you ever think about a BRW?

mad dawg
Jun-17-2004, 3:23pm
The real key, though, is that if possible, your son should spend some time playing both mandolins and perhaps some others..."Bonding" with an instrument is a key part of instrument buying satisfaction, IMHO.
I agree with Johnny: the more your son enjoys playing it, the more he will play it.
(Did I say that right? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif)

Stillpicking
Jun-17-2004, 7:33pm
I would say go for the MK, if he plays banjo then he most likely is into Bluegrass or at least "old timey". The MK would work better for him with this type of music. As far as kids going for looks I am way beyond my teens, been playing mandolin since about 1975, wish I could say that my playing shows the years I have into it but every one has to find their own level.
I do own an MK which I got off the web when they were selling on-line only, I took a chance but now you can fine some music stores that carry them with even mail order shops that have good return policies. I have owned a number of mandolins over the years and have had the opportunity to play others and the MK is a real deal for the money.