PDA

View Full Version : Collings

micall5
Feb-19-2008, 12:18pm
I've been watching and learning about the mandolin market for the last few months in preparation to upgrade from an Mid Mo M4. I have been looking at used and new from Collings to Weber and beyond.
The question that I'm having is that so many stores and people are telling me that Collings has the best mass produced mandolin out there at the moment. If this is true, why are there so many for sale. If the instrument is such a great deal/quality, why sell it?
The only reason I can think of is the vast numbers of them out there. Is this true?
Michael

Jonathan James
Feb-19-2008, 12:25pm
I think it is a matter of volume. Collings makes a LOT of instruments and as we all know, these things tend to change hands with regularity as people get the itch to upgrade, try something different, [insert reason/excuse here]...I have a newer Collings MT (#1490) and it is pretty much flawless in terms of build, tone, etc. Will I ever sell it? Who knows? Right now, I'm thrilled with it.

Greg H.
Feb-19-2008, 12:40pm
I think there are also a lot of people who play 'catch and release' in the mandolin world (I do it too, just at a slower pace than some). We're all looking for the ideal mandolin and for some the Collings may fit the bill, for others not. It doesn't mean that any one mandolin is bad, but rather that our subject taste favors something different. I've never been much of a Collings fan. . .that doesn't mean they aren't great mandolins it just means they aren't MY great mandolin. For you a Collings may be a great fit (as there's no right or wrong answer here).

bradeinhorn
Feb-19-2008, 12:56pm
the mt is one of the most popular gateway to more expensive mandolins out there. that may explain it.

Lee
Feb-19-2008, 1:01pm
Also, because it's "mass produced" instrument the market of potential buyers includes a larger percentage of people who buy on a whim; like the guitar/banjo players who want to try something different. A year later, the bells stop ringing and it's for sale.
I don't think the quantity of used Collings for sale reflects on their quality or customer satisfaction.

Kevin Briggs
Feb-19-2008, 1:16pm
I agree that you probably see a lot of Collings mandolins for sale because there are simply a lot in circulation. They are great mandolins, and their resale has nothing to do with the quality of thier construction.

I'll also add that you mostly see MTs, MT2s, and MFs for sale, and it's usually just MTs. I've seen very few MF5s, MF5Vs and MF5V Deluxes for resale. I mean, that's getting into instruments that are in the hands of professional musicians and what not. Webers seem to do the same thing, to some degree. I mean, how often do you see a Fern for sale? How often do you see a varnished Big Sky? I know they come up from time to time, as do MF5Vs, but it's just not that often, compared to a Gallatin or other model that they make.

As always, it has little to do with the quality of the instrument and a lot to do with the perceived value, which is typically guaged by the price. There are also probably more MTs and Gallatins in circulation than there are MF5s and Ferns, so they'll pop up more often.

lovethemf5s
Feb-19-2008, 1:18pm
Michael, How many used Collings are for sale in your area? There are none in my area. eBay can be a pretty good indicator of availability and right now there are 23 Gibsons, 5 Webers and 1 Collings listed.

Kevin Briggs
Feb-19-2008, 1:18pm
Also, because it's "mass produced" instrument the market of potential buyers includes a larger percentage of people who buy on a whim; like the guitar/banjo players who want to try something different. #A year later, the bells stop ringing and it's for sale. #
I don't think the quantity of used Collings for sale reflects on their quality or customer satisfaction.
Good points. The availability is a huge factor. You can order a Collings from a store and just get it in a few days, as opposed to waiting three or four months (or years) for a mandolin from an independent dealer. It forces a naturally more conscientious decision.

micall5
Feb-19-2008, 1:23pm
Michael, How many used Collings are for sale in your area?
Well... I was actually addressing all of the areas. When I am purchasing I would consider buying from a person or dealer outside my area. Trusted person or dealer that is. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mandolirius
Feb-19-2008, 1:50pm
My theory is that it represents the next step up the ladder. Most people will start off with a mandolin in the $300-$700 range. When they want to move up, they're usually looking at spending around $1200-$2000. There's not a lot available in that range, especially American-made, and the Collings MT is a solid, reliable bet. From there, some people decide to go for a really good instrument and often sell what they are currently playing to finance that.

That, and the various other reasons people sell, is why I think there are so many out there.

Rick Schmidlin
Feb-19-2008, 4:52pm
I think that because they have a resale value and a great trade in value also they are easy to up grade. As far a my MF5 that I have had for over two and half years when ever I get tired with it I change strings and MAS goes away quickly. But back to the question "resale value" is one word the other is those who enter the mandolin world and can $3,000.00 like do on high end guitars or trade a nice extra Martin or Collings guitar for mandolin and then just lose interest or thier hands just don't adjust.

Ken Olmstead
Feb-20-2008, 12:06am
I used to wonder that same thing about Webers. Seemed like they were everywhere used for awhile and now I percieve not as much. Then Eastman was everywhere and that seems to be firming up and now maybe a little Collings action is going on. Maybe folks buy a little on the hype of a newer manufacturer, then they trade around a bit until they land in the hands of players the truley appreciate them and it settles into a more normal market. However, I remember drooling over the Weber Fern in the brochure (still have the brochure and still drool over the Fern)while I was playing my Kentucky 250s. Then I stepped all the way up to a Yellowstone (I guess I have to specify F now) then I decided that I would look pretty good behind a Fern F (it helps believe me!) and sold the Yellowstone to fund the Fern. So what others have said earlier in this thead would seem to apply to my situation, but Weber was the builder of the day at that point. Don't limit yourself to anyone brand. I played a Kentucky KM1000 the other day and it about took my head off!! Let the mandolin choose you and don't let sales people or piers make the choice for you. There are so many options these days which is good and bad, sure makes choosing between all of these incredibly made instruments very hard. Lucky us!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

NoNickel
Feb-20-2008, 4:35pm
A mando buddy let me borrow his Collings Custom MF for the weekend while he was out of town. I got the flu so didn't have more than a few hours to play it, but I can give a couple of comments. The fit and finish were spot on. The sound of the instrument, even though fairly new, was very balanced and loud. It does need to open up a little, but some playing time will take care of that. It is well worth the money he paid for it, and if you can find one used, so much the better. He also used to have a Collings MT2, which, altought it had really been played hard, had a great sound.

MEP
Feb-20-2008, 11:36pm
Even though you think that Collings mandolins are "mass produced" from what I gather there are less than 2000 total produced since they have been building mandolins. So, that really isn't al that many and I don't really think there are that many for sale unless you are talking about the MT models.

Glassweb
Feb-20-2008, 11:52pm
2000 mandolins is a drop in the bucket compared to what Gibson created in the teens and 20's!

Daniel Wheeler
Feb-21-2008, 12:07am
There is a certain number per day that moves you into the massed produced realm and by definition last time I had a conversation about this subject with a very prominent guitar builder collings were not there.

Burner
Feb-24-2008, 6:40pm
I too don't think "Mass produced" accurately describes Collings production. On my visit there I was surprised how small the place was and how many traditional looking workbenches with traditional handwork taking place there was.

Nick Triesch
Feb-25-2008, 10:52am
Everytime I go to Buffalo Bros and play the Collings mandolins they just floor me. Ok, so they are not made one at a time from a tiny builder but Bill Collings has found a way to make some of the most perfect made and consistant sounding mandolins on Earth. He has raised the standard to super high levels. Every MF5 down to the MT is a work of art. Collings MF5 is the Porsche 911 of the mandolin world. Nick

Kevin Briggs
Feb-25-2008, 1:13pm
Collings mandolins are mostly hand made. They use machines in places that don't interfere with the tone. I don't understand what the big deal about that is. I've read posts by independent builders who use machines to rough out tops and backs, or to cut inlays. I'm sure many of those independent builders ho don't use machines would use them if they had the money. of course, I'm sure just as many woudl balk at the idea.

I understand the allure of a perfect instrument made by entirely by hand. It takes us back to an older time, and it ensures the treu touch of an artist, in every aspect. owever, I don't think we can question the validity of an instrument because it was made in a more convenient manner. From what I read about Bill Collings, he is a very sensitive artist who strives for perfection in all aspects of his instrument construction. That sounds pretty good to me.

Rick Schmidlin
Feb-26-2008, 12:38am
#Collings MF5 is the Porsche 911 of the mandolin world. #Nick
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif