PDA

View Full Version : Nugget / collins tim o'brien mandolin

Kevin Briggs
Feb-19-2008, 10:07am
Dang, Shayne! That thing looks amazing. Sound clips?

Chris Biorkman
Feb-19-2008, 10:08am
Nice. Do you still have that Nugget F style? How does this one compare to it?

bienkow1
Feb-19-2008, 10:14am
That is one beautiful mandolin you have there brother

pjlama
Feb-19-2008, 2:27pm
Nice, let me know if you get bored with this one. I've got a thing for the O'Brien's and yours looks perfect. Hey how about making me a strummer, I think there's just a little more waiting to come out of the MM.

lovethemf5s
Feb-19-2008, 2:47pm
Beautiful mandolin. I didn't know Collings offered this kind of service. They don't have this listed on their website and my mandolin will need new frets or whatever someday and I live in dread of taking it to a local luthier. Thanks for the info.

PatrickH
Feb-23-2008, 12:17pm
It surprises me that Collings did the work. I have a TOB model (#16) as well and I wanted some work done on it. The bridge screws were protruding too high and the top screw was bothering my picking hand.

I called Collings twice on it and both times they referred me directly to Mike Kemnitzer. He would always call me and was perfectly fine to deal with but out of convenience I ended up bringing it to George Youngblood over at Acoustic Music.org in Connecticut. George is an amazing luthier and fixed me up. A terrific job.

Now I can't put that mandolin down. Man do I love it. I see yours has a nice shiny truss rod plate. Is it silver? Mine is and has a very nice patina at this time. Mike K offered to replace it with some new ones he was making that wouldn't tarnish but I choose to stay with mine. What number is yours?

Patrick

squirrelabama
Feb-26-2008, 12:50pm
I have #12, and it came stock with silver waverlys. I love it, but it may be for sale soon, got to thin the herd. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif