PDA

View Full Version : Collings mt vs. krishot a

lespaul_79
Feb-18-2008, 8:42pm
Hi, 1st time post, long time fan...

I know there's been tonsss of great feedback/postings on the Collings MT and it's been #1 on my list of new mandos to get in the $1600ish range...

However, this weekend I went to a bluegrass fest in Denver and played a Krishot A and thought the tone and look were very impressive.

Any thoughts on the Krishots? Krishot A vs. Collings MT?

Thanks!
Chad

Sorry about posting the 1st message in the wrong topic....

steadypluckinaway
Feb-18-2008, 8:56pm
I played a number of Krishots at the Pickin' Parlor in Arvada and they blew everything else in the store away (IMO). The three Collings and the ten or so Eastmans, as well as the Pomeroys just couldn't hang with the ol' Krishot. They have an exceptional F for under $3k that I would consider selling an organ to purchase. Fine mandos in my opinion!

8ch(pl)
Feb-18-2008, 9:09pm
Do you play the organ?

steadypluckinaway
Feb-18-2008, 9:36pm
Yes as a matter of fact, I play a mean spleen. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Actually, I was implying I would sell a kidney or the like.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

sgarrity
Feb-18-2008, 10:24pm
I've never played a Krishot that I didn't like and I've probably played around 10 of them. They are a great value in the mandolin world!

Rick Schmidlin
Feb-19-2008, 12:56am
Collings MT

adgefan
Feb-19-2008, 8:51am
I own a MT and love it. However, I've also played a few Krishots and they are great mandolins but with a very different tone. The Krishots have been more percussive with less sustain whereas the MT has a much warmer, rounder sound.

Plenty of people play Krishots here in England in bluegrass bands and they all sound great. I'd own one myself if I could somehow justify having two high quality instruments.

steve V. johnson
Feb-19-2008, 11:50am
I'd always choose a small "boutique" builder over a larger one, even tho the Collings MT is such a champ and all the Collings instruments are so consistently brilliant. There will be more Colings, there will be fewer Krishots, so the experience of each of those is, to me, a bit more valuable.

That's the only measure I could apply to the question... Well... except that you were so impressed by the Krishot. That carries a lot of weight.

stv

Greg H.
Feb-19-2008, 12:27pm
Have you tried a Collings? If so, and you were more impressed with the Krishot then by all means go with the Krishot. You're not going to make a bad decesion with either of them. We've all got our own preferences in feel/sound so go with the one that fits your preference.

lespaul_79
Feb-19-2008, 1:49pm
Thanks for the feedback.

lespaul_79
Feb-21-2008, 3:17pm
Played a Krishot A again the other day. Very nice mando. Great bell tones. Somebody told me to look for that in a mando.