PDA

View Full Version : Metalic ring on high e string

Bigtuna
Feb-18-2008, 11:14am
Recently, I've noticed a high pitch ring on my 2nd e sting (4th string/course). Its not the tail plate and it doesn't seem like the buzzing related to the frets (it only does it when played open). Does anybody know what could cause this or how to fix the problem?

Brian Fortier
Feb-18-2008, 4:48pm
If it only does it open, check the nut groove.

Bigtuna
Feb-18-2008, 5:01pm
Thanks, it's been driving me crazy. I even reset the bridge and intonation. What would be an easy fix?

Glassweb
Feb-18-2008, 5:26pm
as Brian said above, check your nut slot and/or make sure the top part of the bridge is not tilting too far forward.

Tim2723
Feb-18-2008, 5:44pm
That problem is in the slots most of the time. Have you changed string brands/guages lately? Could be simple wear. If so, a new nut isn't that expensive. You're better off with a new one if needed rather than trying to 'patch' the old one.

Bigtuna
Feb-19-2008, 9:07am
Thanks, everyone!

trevor
Feb-19-2008, 9:12am
I had a similar problem recently on my Rigel mandola. I took the bridge off, checked everything, set it up again and then it was on the other string of the pair! I went through it all again and it went. I still don't know what the cause was. Sometimes a good fiddle about just sorts things for no clear reason. Good luck.

Bigtuna
Mar-12-2008, 10:22pm
It went away, and its back! If its the slots is a new saddle the only fix? I'll mess with it again tomorrow, but its driving me crazy!

Folkmusician.com
Mar-12-2008, 10:57pm
You should be able to listen at the nut and bridge and hear where the buzz is coming from.

You can normally fix this without replacing anything.

A lot of it depends on your string height at the nut, or how deep the grooves are in your saddle. #it usually takes very minor filing to fix this. #If one is careful, they can do it without lowering the grooves or lowering them very little. #It is best not to try this yourself without the proper files.

Just to eliminate other possibilities, #Make sure it is not the strings hitting one another, a loose screw on a tuner button, or the truss rod.

Bill Van Liere
Mar-13-2008, 7:58am
Just to eliminate any other possibilities other than the nut; make sure the instrument is not not dried out from winter heating. I live in a northern climate (I see you are NC)and depite my best efforts to keep things humidified I find that the tone thins out, sometimes with wierd overtones, somewhat as the instrument dries, it has been a long winter. Might be a good time to check your bridge for intonation and height, bump the action up a touch on the treble side and see if that helps.

James Sanford
Mar-13-2008, 11:07am
I have just put strings on my newest build and had a buzz in one of the strings as you describe. I removed the string and used a nut file to round the front edge of the nut at that string groove and it went away. Just a tiny touch was all it took.

Good luck.

Mark Walker
Mar-13-2008, 11:39am
Just to eliminate any other possibilities other than the nut; make sure the instrument is not not dried out from winter heating. I live in a northern climate (I see you are NC)and depite my best efforts to keep things humidified I find that the tone thins out, sometimes with wierd overtones, somewhat as the instrument dries, it has been a long winter. Might be a good time to check your bridge for intonation and height, bump the action up a touch on the treble side and see if that helps.
I agree with Bill. I don't believe I live far from him here in Michigan, and our furnaces have been running long, hot and dry here in this cold winter.

I've noticed a few odd tones in both my mandolins this winter I've not noticed in previous ones.

But do check out all potential culprits!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

jk245
Mar-13-2008, 4:25pm
It went away, and its back! If its the slots is a new saddle the only fix? I'll mess with it again tomorrow, but its driving me crazy!
Try loosening the strings a little and slip a small paper in the nut slot under the problem sting(s). After tuning, if the problem goes away the slot is too low. Then, either replace the nut or do one of the quickie groove lifts as proposed in several cafe threads (usually some mix with crazy glue in the slot)

Paul Kotapish
Mar-13-2008, 5:26pm
Those phantom rings and buzzes can drive you nuts.

While you are testing out options on the nut and the saddle, double check to make sure that you don't have any loose hardware--tuning machines, bushings, etc. Sight down the fingerboard and try to evaluate whether all of the frets are nice and even and conforming to the same curves (radius, relief).

Don't underestimate the value of changing the string, too, even if you just changed it recently. On more than one occasion when I've had a problem with a irritating extraneous noise I've changed the string(s) and found that fixed things.

Bigtuna
Mar-14-2008, 7:57am
Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. Well, I finally got it to go away! It's hard to say what did it. I changed the strings, took some 300 grit sand paper to the nut edge, and reset the intonation. I ended up having to use some exp75's instead of the 74's so, that may have contributed as well. As far as the stirngs go, I like the different tone but they are a little harder on the fingers. I just hope the ring doesn't come back when I put back on some exp74's.

Paul F
Aug-25-2008, 5:33am
I read this thread with interest. My new Muth arrived with a bit of phantom buzz on 2 strings played open, but not fretted. I took it to Bill TIppin, maker of fine guitars. With an eye loupe, he examined the fret slots, and found that in the slot was a small white area (where the string actually hit the bottom of the slot), and forward from that spot - toward the bridge - was dark, indicating that dirt had gathered where it shouldn't if the string had contact. A few minutes with the nut files and the strings now break at the leading edge of the nut. All is well.

Bobbie Dier
Aug-25-2008, 8:48pm
I had that problem on my flatiron cadet. I thought the problem was coming from the tailpiece area. The piece of leather came out from under the string so I put it back under and that still didn't help. I put an extra piece of leather under there too and that didn't help.Twang twang twang

My friend pointed out to me that the problem string was a lot lower in the nut than the other strings. He said to put a TINY drip of super glue in the slot and let it dry then restring it. It fixed the problem and I can't believe the difference. A new set of strings helped too. I put Gibson Bush Monel on it. They are OK except for the 41 G string....Seems kinda heavy.

I'm not saying you should try this or anything. I'm just telling what worked for me. I hope I didn't screw anything up by doing this. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandolirius
Aug-25-2008, 9:11pm
I get that when strings are worn. With the wound strings, you can see the windings opening up and the dirt and tarnish on them. The unwound strings don't show their wear as much. You often hear it before you see it.

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-26-2008, 2:56am
Strings themselves can behave in a weird way. Sevearl months back,i changed the strings
leaving the bridge in position as i usually do ie.not removing ALL the strings at once.I changed the strings (J74's)& i found that after i'd retuned to pitch,the inner 4th string noted sharp,even though it was in tune 'open'. The outer 4th string was fine. I messed about with it,left it a couple of days to see what would happen - result 'NADA'. I did the most obvious thing & changed the inner 4th for a new one - same result http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif!!!. I then did the craziest thing & changed the outer string,the one that noted correctly - PROBLEM SOLVED. Now why in the blue blazes was the outer string,the one that noted correctly at fault ?. I'll never know,but having changed it,the outer & inner 4ths were spot on in tune all the way up the neck. As i said - weird ,
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Saska