PDA

View Full Version : Best bluegrass mandolin under $1400?

PJ Doland
Feb-18-2008, 9:35am
I want to buy a mandolin for Bluegrass and I have a budget of $1400. What should I buy?

A few things:

1. I don't really care about looks and I'm fine with something either traditional (a faithful F-5 reproduction) or non-traditional (a Breedlove KF or FF).

2. I really don't care where it's made, provided I get the best value for my budget.

3. A pickup would be nice, but it's not necessary.

Thoughts?

Mark Walker
Feb-18-2008, 10:09am
Look for a used Laura Ratcliff A-style. They can be had for about that price and have great bluegrass tone and chop.

JMHO, NFI and YMMV.

chip
Feb-18-2008, 10:16am
Go through the past posts. There's "plenty" of advice on this subject...

PJ Doland
Feb-18-2008, 10:52am
One more thing...I don't like very glossy finishes on the back of the neck.

JEStanek
Feb-18-2008, 10:55am
I moved this topic from the post a pic section to the #looking for information section to aid in getting responses.

This is a frequent question asked by newcomers. #Lets try and help him out. #PJ, Here are some threads form a search (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=Search&CODE=02&SID=47b9ab60789e0683) for under AND 1500. #I hope you find these helpful.

Honestly, there are many options in the new and used market in both F and A styles. #If possible try and play some of the ones mentioned (new/used Breedlove, Eastman, Gibson A9, Collings MT, Weber Absaroka, Kentucky, used small shop builders like Laura's mentioned above).

You'll find a variety of tones, neck shapes/readiuses, fret thickness, trim levels... #From what I've heard and played (more limited in F hole instruments) is a Collings MT I heard and played had a pretty loud percussive chop. #The Gibson A9/F9s are nice too. #Good luck and happy hunting, you've given yourself a large spread to choose from.

Jamie

JEStanek
Feb-18-2008, 11:09am
Another thing, Pick-ups and removing the finish from the back of the neck can be done after market, pretty easily.

Standard information on you'll get more tone wby buying an A rather than an F style and retain more value buying used.
Jamie

ab4usa
Feb-18-2008, 11:33am
Gibson A-9 on ebay in your price range. Will not have a glossy finish and should be great for bluegrass.

jimbob
Feb-18-2008, 11:47am
the best one for that price is the one you like. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Greg H.
Feb-18-2008, 1:03pm
I agree with jimbob above. Are there any stores near you where you could try out multiple mandolins (or better yet have a mandolin playing friend go with you. . . .it always helps to hear the instrument second hand)? In the end, no matter what any given expert might say, the best mandolin for you is the one YOU like not the one they might like. And, after you go through the threads Jamie provided, you'll see that the best mandolin for you is a Gibson/Collings/Weber/Eastman/MK/Ratcliff/Breedlove F/A model. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

pjlama
Feb-18-2008, 1:07pm
A9 and if you go used you'll have a couple bucks left for a good pickup.

sunburst
Feb-18-2008, 1:08pm
A used, f-hole, A-style will almost certainly be your best value for Bluegrass at that price.
There are too many good ones to make any brand/maker recommendations, but American, European, and Australian ones tend to be the better ones.