PDA

View Full Version : One instrument?

Griffis
Feb-15-2008, 11:36pm
Hello, All.

Well, I don't know if I've come for advice or just conversation, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on a matter that's been on my mind.

I've been playing music for 30 years. Currently I play 6-string acoustic guitar, acoustic tenor guitar and tenor banjo (both tuned GDAE), ukulele and mandolin.

And I play at learning the harmonica and mess with the musical saw from time to time.

In my day I've also played some 5-string banjo and fiddle. At one time I was really pretty good and in-demand as an electric bass player too, but that was another life really.

Now, I'm passable at most of these instruments (just a novice at mandolin)--average on some, plus or minus average on others.

But I gotta say, there are times I really get tired of the "player of many instruments, master of NONE" thing that goes along with the musical instrument merry-go-round.

I mean, I enjoy being able to jump from one thing to another, but my little studio room is awash with instruments and my time is so taken up with work and family that I can go months without touching many of the instruments I own.

I've been weighing in my mind the possibility of settling into one instrument pretty much at the exclusion of all others, and that would be the mandolin. It's something I really want to excel at. I don't have the funds to buy a very nice mandolin, but if I sold off a lot of my other instruments, I could land a fine mando.

Have any of you ever started from a place where you jumped from instrument to instrument, then decided "Enough!" and winnowed your collection down to where you were really concentrating on one thing?

In some ways I really like the idea of having just one main instrument--in this instance, a nice, quality mandolin and a beater mandolin. But I worry that I would end up regretting getting rid of my other instruments and go back on the merry-go-round where I spend money I don't have to acquire instruments I feel I want to play very badly but in reality don't have time to.

I know I could just slack the strings on the gear I'm not playing, keep them in their cases gathering dust, awaiting a time when I rediscover them, but in the meantime I have more things than I have time to play and there's a frustration to that. More importantly, my only current mandolin is a Rogue $50 job. It gets the job done but it in some ways very limited and limiting.

So on the one hand, it's nice to have a variety and it can be fun to switch around, but on the other hand, it's kind of a drag feeling like I have money and time invested in these instruments that I feel obliged to play but really keep me from excelling at the mandolin, the instrument I take most seriously.

Ha...some "problem", right? When so many people don't even have proper food and I have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to music. Though I will say that none of my instruments are worth a great deal monetarily aside from a pre-war tenor banjo I have made by Gibson (it was given to me.)

I just am not sure what to do-- sell off a couple of ukes, the tenor banjo and tenor guitar and take the plunge into a fine mandolin, or sit on what I have and try to get by and improve on the mandolin while ignoring these other instruments that could be in appreciative hands getting played.

Incidentally, I am playing for my own pleasure for the moment, but I do hope to get back into performing and recording again at some point soon.

I appreciate any feedback, or similar stories from anyone who wants to share.

Thanks.

Bob A
Feb-16-2008, 12:06am
Well, FWIW I've pretty much let everything but the mandolins slide over the last several years, but I'm slow to get rid of stuff since it cost me a lot of sweat and blood to acquire them over the years, and if I sold them. while I'd make a tidy profit, I'd never have the money to regain anything near what I'd have sold. (Because money seems to evaporate in my hands.) Anyway, I have a bunch of grandkids, and I'd like to leave them some musical tools. Even so, I could probably dispose of half my collection and still have enough left over, but I get nostalgic, or else worry that I'd never find another one as good, and so forth.

Actually, I thought your post was going to be more like "Which ONE mandolin should I get to satisfy my mando-needs".

So there it is. I can't offer you any advice, as I'm in a pretty similar place (except for having the mandolins I need). If I can't resolve myown situation, it'd be pretty hypocritical of me to tell youi what to do. But a word of warning: once you start on the mandolin thing, you'll be hard pressed to stop at two. Maybe you should stick with what you've got, and not open the mando-door at all.

I never thought I'd write anything like that. Just a momentary lapse due to weakness (flu).

Anyway, if you think you'll be getting back to serious music soon, I'd have to suggest that you hang onto whatyou have, at least for the time being.

Jkf_Alone
Feb-16-2008, 12:06am
i would keep the tenor guitar and sell everything else, then buy a mando. from the times ive fooled around with the tenor, i would say that i wouldnt miss owning a guitar if i had a tenor, octave mandolin, or zouk. also there arent any mental switches, just scale switches when you do that.

that being said, it is your choice.

Jkf_Alone
Feb-16-2008, 12:14am
and i would NEVER miss owning a banjo. not that i dont like there sound, but i couldnt imagine trying to practice with one at home.

steve V. johnson
Feb-16-2008, 12:40am
It seems to me that your evaluation is on a good path, that you've pretty well decided to "thin the herd". And it seems really reasonable, especially given that you aren't playing a bunch of what you have and aren't likely to get to play 'em, much, nor soon.

I'd expect that as you take a cold hard look at what's there in that crowded room, some instruments will rise in priority or value and others will clearly become marked for 'out-placing'.

Since you've become at least somewhat proficient on so many, you probably will, and probably should keep a few of 'em.
As you get back into playing with other folks, and then playing out, there may easily come a time when those other proficiencies may be just the thing, and if your bandmates don't have one of what you just sold off, you'd wish you had one...

Looks like a good process to me... good luck with it, and I hope the ones that you do jettison bring you the money to
notch up to a better mandolin as much as you'd like.

stv

leathermarshmallow
Feb-16-2008, 1:09am
I say keep the accoustic guitar and get rid of the others. Lots of people can play even a little on the guitar. That way, when someone comes over and you wanna make some music, you can play mando, and they can play guitar.

Ken Olmstead
Feb-16-2008, 1:45am
Griffis,

Reading your post is a scary reflection of the conversation that I have with myself (and my extremely patient wife)on many occaisions. It is a big circle. The big difference is I have 2 great mandolins, but feel guilty telling the family we will need to wait a bit for a trip to Disney when I easily have the money to go tied up up in instruments that I don't play right now. Same thing , what if someday...I really have not found an answer yet but the more I ponder it the less clear it becomes. I am thankful that I have such a petty problem in life to worry about. If you find enlightenment, let me know! #

Ken

Griffis
Feb-16-2008, 1:45am
I say keep the accoustic guitar and get rid of the others. #Lots of people can play even a little on the guitar. #That way, when someone comes over and you wanna make some music, you can play mando, and they can play guitar.
Yes, this is sage advice. I will keep my acoustic guitar (the 6-string) anyway because for one thing, it isn't worth anything to anyone but myself. It's a cheap Korean-made Gretsch, but it's serviceable and beautiful.

Plus, my wife loves it and she's already learning her way around on it enough to back me up on some songs (she's a lifelong musician, but mainly a pianist though she's played a little guitar over the years.) Also, I've played guitar for 30 years and know a ton of songs, so the guitar would stay. As well as one of my ukuleles that, like the guitar, does the job well but isn't of any real value.

The tenor banjo is a tough call. It's easily worth well more than all my other instruments put together. It was given to me by my father. However, he didn't have it for long and he never learned to play it, so there's not a great deal of sentimental attachment there. It is a very beautiful thing though.

Sheesh. I dunno. I rationalize keeping the tenor banjo and tenor guitar because I tune them the same as my mandolin. Though whenever I play one, it's fun, but I always think "Eh, this would sound better and be easier to play on the ol' mandolin." So they usually get put down pretty quickly.

There's just so much to do with the mandolin alone. I really love blues and jugband-style mandolin, but I also enjoy old time country, celtic and classical. I just feel as though if I want to excel at it I could do with a better one and would maybe be wise to offload some of the instruments that serve mainly as distractions at this point. I'll be 40 this year, so hipefully have many years left, but I ain't getting any younger and as I say, my time is pretty darned limited.

With other instruments, I get around pretty good but also sort of feel like I'm just goofing off. SOmething about the mandolin (while I have a blast playing it) seems to elicit a sort of seriousness or reverent feeling in me that causes me to take it more seriously than other instruments I've played in my life, though I've put in a lot of sweat and practice on all of them. The mandolin makes me want to push myself further and not just settle for being able to "get around" on it well enough and knowing a few tunes.

This make any sense? Surely some of you have come to the mandolin and felt similarly.

Griffis
Feb-16-2008, 1:50am
i would keep the tenor guitar and sell everything else, then buy a mando. from the times ive fooled around with the tenor, i would say that i wouldnt miss owning a guitar if i had a tenor, octave mandolin, or zouk. also there arent any mental switches, just scale switches when you do that.
Ah. The octave mando/zouk. That's another thing I really have a jones for. I do enjoy the tenor guitar and tenor banjo, but I would really like a decent octave mandolin like a Trinity College or something.

But I kind of feel as if that's something I could look at in the future after I've sharpened my skills on the "regular" mandolin.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-16-2008, 2:14am
I've been playing Banjo for over 40 years,Guitar for about 15 & Mandolin for 2.1/2 years now & the Mandolin has sort of taken over to the extent that i sold one of my 2 Banjos. If i sold my Stelling Banjo & my Guitar,i could maybe trade one of my Mandolins in for a 'better' one,the thing that stops me from doing that, is that the following day i know that i would deeply regret it. The difference between us is that you have 2 instrument other than your Mandolin tuned the 'same as',so when you come to play those instruments,apart from the sound they make,you might as well be playing your Mandolin anyway. With me,i have 3 totally different instruments,tuned differently & they sound differently. I'd go for selling the Tenor Guitar & Tenor Banjo,but most definitely keep your 'standard' Guitar. Maybe with the proceeds from the sale you could up-grade to a really nice Mandolin which you would enjoy for years to come,
Saska

Mandolusional
Feb-16-2008, 2:17am
I came from no instruments to the mandolin, and I haven't been the slightest bit enticed by another. Maybe give yourself some time, put the other instruments in their cases and hide them in a closet. See if exclusively playing your mandolin for a couple months is all you need, or if you find yourself pining for those other instruments. That could help you figure out if you are still interested in the others, and which ones you are interested in hanging onto.

sully542
Feb-16-2008, 4:57am
Its a nice problem to have!

billkilpatrick
Feb-16-2008, 6:29am
mine is a similar story - a life littered with also-rans ... closets full of them.

i settled on the charango and pint-sized guitalele for working out tunes and just hacking around (chord patterns are instinctive by now) and focused what little grey matter that's left me on playing the mandolin - really playing it ... learning how to read music, et al.

i also took up something entirely new ... the great highland bagpipe.

DaveNB
Feb-16-2008, 7:00am
I don't know how to do it.I sell an instrument, and a year or two later I hear a tune played on that instrument and ask myself why I sold it. Next thing you know I am on ebay. Only upside is that each time I buy, I know a little more.

spenser
Feb-16-2008, 7:12am
Griffis-going through the same thing you are. I have realized that I seem to have more aptitude for the mandolin, and have been an average, at best guitar player. The world is full of average hacker guitarists, but not a lot of mando players. I enjoy the mandolin when I practice and play, get frustrated at the guitar, so, they go, keeping one, and focusing on the mando moving forward. Good luck it isnt an easy choice to decide which ones or what to do. But you will feel better once the choice is made and you let it go.

catmandu2
Feb-16-2008, 7:47am
If you have difficulty reconciling, take the David Lindley approach and experience them all as just manifestations of one, big stringed instrument. Then, it's just a matter of shifting one's perspective between each instrument.

It's not as if you're trying to decide between, say, piano and trumpet..

Mr. Loar
Feb-16-2008, 8:12am
I love the mandolin, but I also have to divide my time with guitar, bass, and keyboards. Hopefully there will come a time when I can focus on just the mandolin.

catmandu2
Feb-16-2008, 8:46am
Whatever you do, DON'T look at THIS page (you could acquire a nasty case of MAS #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif ):
http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....t=51068 (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=16;t=51068)

I've been struggling with this musical "multiplicity" since I was 17 years old--almost 30 years. #Even then, I was trying to decide between following Segovia, Jimmy Page, or Earl Scruggs. #Aesthetically, bluegrass just wasn't what we were into, but...it felt SO GOOD to pinch those strings. #Over the years, my instrument acquisition has followed my musical interests: flamenco guitars; jazz brought drums and upright into my life; celtic brought fiddles, accordians and hammered dulcimers, etc. #For me, I guess it's been about exploration, since I'm so compelled by the tools that make the sounds. #When I became interested in microtones, for example, I had to try A BUNCH of different fretless instruments: fiddle, oud, pedal steel, etc. to assuage my imagination.

It's a real issue if you don't have adequate space to store your gear, or if you rent and are moving around. #Funding isn't such a big obstacle: musicians have been trading instruments and hocking their gear since the beginning of time. #If you have to get into an instrument, you'll find a way. #Of course, need varies: I recently started hosting jams, so I felt I needed to reacquire another upright. #When I had some drumming gigs lined-up, I needed drums, etc. #Get the instrument you need now.

Let your muse lead you.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

John Flynn
Feb-16-2008, 8:55am
I don't play quite the range of instruments you do, but I do have some personal philosophies that bear on your question. I think being able to play any instrument is a great goodness in a person's life. Sometimes people get to even just an intermediate level on an instrument and forget to appreciate what an incredible thing it is they have accomplished.

For that reason, I would always own at least one decent instrument of every kind I could play. Even when the instrument sits in its case most of the time, it still calls out to me every now and then. From time to time, there is always that tune on which only that instrument can make the sound I want.

Also, playing any other instrument helps you on your main instrument in unique ways that just practice on the one instrument cannot. For instance, I dabble on the bodhran. I don't play it often or well, but what little I do play it really helps loosen my picking wrist and improves my rhythm on mandolin. Also for instance, playing the harmonica gives me a better appreciation of the use of sustain on notes and therefore makes me push myself to get better at tremolo on the mandolin.

Having said all that, I play mandolin about 90% of the time and definitely concentrate on that. It is good to have a specialty and get as good as you can on with it. Also, I just like the instrument more than all the others and since I play for enjoyment, that is naturally going to be the case. But I would still never give up the 10% of the time I spend with the others.

chip
Feb-16-2008, 9:19am
If you don't need the money, have the room to keep the instruments and there not cluttering up a room then just keep them until such time your 100% behind letting them go. In regard to what instrument to play your heart should let you know that without asking others. I think you know deep inside what it is you need/want to do. Through the years I've held onto instruments only to find that once I let them go I really don't miss them at all. I could always buy another whether at a higher price or not. Having a bunch of instruments in cases not being played is just money sitting around and if they aren't top-line instruments then you might want to consider getting what you can out of them and buying something nice for yourself. This isn't a dress rehersal so enjoy life and play the best instrument you can afford, IMO.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Jonathan Peck
Feb-16-2008, 9:29am
Het Griffs,

I say don't do anything you'll regret later. The last two months of winter, seem to drag along at a snails pace and the urge to do something to break up the monotiny of it can lead to decisions you might regret later. I would wait a few months to see if you still feel the same way. In the mean time, why not start to sell off a few things that you are sure that you can live without and start a mando (or other instrument) fund.

northfolk
Feb-16-2008, 9:37am
I currently own 4 mandolins, a uke, a guitar, an electric bass, a fiddle, a dulcimer, a dobro and a tenor banjo. Each one has a story, of course, as I have compiled this collection over the the past 35 plus years. My preference of course is the mandolin. I am a jack of many trades, but master of none. I go through periods where I do not play some of these instruments for years, but I still keep them. Every instrument I have sold over the years, I regret it somewhere down the road. Keep them all. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Andrew Faltesek
Feb-16-2008, 10:35am
I was apprenticed to an artist for several years, and although free figure drawing sessions were my "pay" I was interested in several other artforms, and music also. The "master" frequently advised me that I would never "be known" or "really be good" at anything unless I really focused and specialized on one skill and totally committed to it.

Now...there is some truth to that; but on the other hand, I noticed that besides oil painting he also did wood carving, boatbuilding, sculpture, pastel, etc., etc., so I took it with a grain of salt. Many years have passed, and indeed; I am not a famous artist.

Well, here is where the perspective comes in. To the world and the wealthy gallery owners, I am nobody. To those locally who see my drawings, I do nice work. To the music world and producers/media, I am nobody. To my friends I jam with, I'm a decent multi-instrumentalist.

For any given musician who strives at one instrument in the pursuit of fame or fortune, huge commercial payoff most likely will never come...despite extreme talent; despite Oprah exhorting you to "live your truth" as the key to success. Other forces are at play here.

You have developed talents on several instruments, an admirable effort worthy of due praise and respect. You may feel you are "master of NONE"; however, consider this: You ARE a Master! You are a Renaissance Man, someone of knowledge and skill with multiple instruments. Even passable skill with ONE musical instrument represents a lot of effort...if it was so easy everyone would do it.

Since you can play the instruments you own, I see no benefit in getting rid of them, particularly considering the emotional attachment and good memories associated with the playing. If you have multiples of some that don't speak to you as much now, by all means...pass 'em on. But you never know, one day soon the attraction and passion for a different instrument will demand your attention!

I say keep most of them.

My friend Songbutcher has all kinds of instruments crammed into his little candy room...and it sure is nice when people come over and he has something for everyone. He is a facilitator mostly, but has good skills on guitar...just a little unfocused in terms of playing complete songs. Nothing inherently wrong with that...he likes to jam! If he was performing for an audience it would be different.

Keep the instruments and revisit each of them occasionally. Ability on any one of them will enhance skill on your primary instruments in both practical and intangible ways.

neal
Feb-16-2008, 11:26am
Don't go off sellin' stuff right now. If you find that you gravitate towards one instrument over the others, perhaps that's your strength, and at this point, you feel you should concentrate on your strengths. We've all been through that one, some are really good multi-instrumentalists, and can do it all. Lot's of us "others" are in a different world, gotta figure out which world you're comfortable with. Me? I'm ok at guitar, poor on mandolin and decent on the uke. So, I keep a guitar and focus on uke. There ain't no wrong instrument, just the ones you prefer and the ones you don't.

And I hope you guys don't mind me sticking around here....

allenhopkins
Feb-16-2008, 11:54am
Can't give you advice. I get more and more instruments (up around 70 or so now), hardly ever get rid of any. I played a coffeehouse gig with my friend Jim Clare Thursday night; brought guitar, 5-string banjo, Dobro, mandolin, mandola, harmonicas of course. When I go out on the St. Patrick's Day gigs I have booked, it'll be the same, substituting the Octofone for mandolin, subtracting Dobro and adding concertina. Irish seisun? Mandolin, mandola, mandocello, guitar, concertina. And so it goes.

However, one observation I have had over a 40-year history of acquisitions, trades etc.: the instrument you decide to get rid of, will be the one about which you say soon thereafter, "Damn! I should never have sold that /fill in blank/!"

Dave Schimming
Feb-16-2008, 12:29pm
I would keep one of each type of instrument you can play. Never know when you need to play something other than your main instrument in a jam or performance situation. For me it is easier to sing playing the guitar as compared to mandolin or banjo.

Jim
Feb-16-2008, 5:17pm
I've got to weigh in on the keep 'em side. I am first a guitar picker (40 years )but also play flute, and bass as well as mandolin. I have a day job but have been payed to play all of the above. I feel all of the instruments helped with my playing and understanding of all the others. I also agree that it's nice to have some other instruments around incase someone comes ove to jam. I even keep sticks and spoons available as well as bongos and a djembe for people with little experience to become involved. ( need a washboard too)

Griffis
Feb-16-2008, 8:32pm
Wow. Lots of food for thought here. This board is schizophrenic!

Seriously though, I really do appreciate everyone who chimed in, and am eager to hear more. There is wisdom coming from both sides of the aisle-- the "focus on one" side and the "keep 'em all" side as well.

It's hard.

Again, in the grand scheme of things I know this isn't a real "problem" and I really don't have The World's Largest Instrument Collection or anything.

I have:

-Rogue mandolin, new
-Gretsch (Korean-made) acoustic guitar, late 1990s
-Silvertone acoustic tenor guitar, ca. 1950s-60s
-Kel Kroydon/Gibson tenor banjo, 1930s
-Maybell banjo ukulele, ca. 1920s-30s
-Johnson resonator ukulele, bought 2003
-1960s no-name ukulele
-Hamano ukulele, 2005 (soon to be traded for a banjo-mandolin hopefully)
-Gibson ukulele, late 1940s (in need of minor repair)

...plus assorted harmonicas, kazoos, whistles and a musical saw.

This is nothing compared to what I have owned over the years, especially when I was playing electric guitar and bass and collecting analog synthesizers.

Really only a couple of these have much monetary value at all.

One of the issues is that I am a renter, but hope to buy a house soon. I am also looking into jobs nearby that would involve more money and satisfaction, but would require a move. If I were more settled into a home that was mine and which I would be in for the forseeable future, I probably wouldn't be as concerned about this.

But man, I really would like to upgrade my mandolin. I'm taking it very seriously. Looking into lessons, and I've purchased several instructional videos and books.

I definitely agree with one thought that has been brought up a few times, and that is that playing another instrument can improve your skills on your "main" instrument by offering new perspectives and different approaches to playing.

Somehow I feel as if I would be less "mentally musically cluttered" if I were down to a ukulele, my guitar, and a really nice mandolin with my Rogue mando as a beater.

But I can't say I wouldn't experience regrets if I rid myself of everything else.

Plus, there's an Irish lass by the name of Ruraltradpunk on a few musician's forums I frequent who would probably give me a sound thrashing if I were ever to part with that tenor banjo.

I'm just so limited on space, time and money. I don't know what I will end up doing. Some days I think I should hang onto everything and save up for a year for that dream mandolin, if I could even swing that. Other times I'm right on the verge of taking most of my instruments to the local shop and swapping them for a great mandolin.

It is frustrating.

Thanks for listening to me whine and ramble. I'll keep you updated if anyone is interested.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear more of your stories and situations regarding this.

gnelson651
Feb-16-2008, 10:53pm
I had no doubts when I gave up banjo for mandolin. I still have the banjo since it is a POS that I bought after my '57 Gibson Mastertone was stolen years ago.

No looking back for me although I would like to learn to frail the banjo . #But it would take away time from the mandolin. All my focus is on learning to improvise mandolin in a BG jam setting, everything else has taken a back seat.

I guess you have a lot of soul searching to do to come up with the answer. I don't think anyone can really help you in this situation. #Only you know how you feel in this regard.

PatrickH
Feb-16-2008, 11:11pm
I own and play more than a few instruments (guitar, bass, mandolin, pennywhistle, ukulele, octave mandolin, bodhran and tenor banjo) and I find that I have chosen to play some very seriously (mandolin & guitar), some moderately seriously (octave mandolin, pennywhistle) and some not so seriously (uke, tenor banjo, bodhran).

I have been very blessed and fortunate to be able to afford some very lovely hand-made instruments. I have sold some only to be able to buy different ones (this is the deal I have with my wife). I will probably never sell most of my current collection.

If you don't really need the money, I would not recommend that you sell an instrument that you love even if you don't play it much now. You may later.

One way to continue to play all your instruments is to decide what you want to play seriously and focus on that for practice periods every day. Decide what you want to play less seriously and try to play them 1 to 4 times a week just to keep up.

mrbook
Feb-16-2008, 11:35pm
I not only play several instruments, but after many years had several of each. One day I thought, "When I was a kid I wanted one good guitar, and a second for backup would be great - but I have twelve!" I started selling off the instruments that I didn't take out to perform with, and got down to one or two of each. The ones I kept are the ones I play. I now think more about music than about intruments, and I think my playing has improved because of it. I could still get rid of a couple fiddles when I find a buyer (I don't play much), and I probably shouldn't have sold all the ukuleles, but I have enough to play. I wouldn't give up on any instrument you might perform with - I play banjo and mandolin in one band, and mandolin and guitar in another.

I thought I would miss the instruments I sold, but I really haven't. I kept the ones I liked best, and to be honest they were not always the most expensive ones.

Joel Spaulding
Feb-16-2008, 11:56pm
Our home is decorated ( my wife sometimes says littered with 3 mandos (4th next week!), electric and acoustic guitars and basses, 4 keyboards, a drum kit, various hand drums, and an avalanche of electronics and PA gear. I have sold/traded/pawned more equipment in the last 20 years than I currently own.
Started playing the mandolin daily ( 30min - 4hrs /day) last May and have probably played all other instruments a total of 4 hours since. That being said, I have regretted #selling every piece but have NEVER regretted keeping anything! I try to think of secondary or tertiary instruments as an inspiration rather than a limitation - i provide plenty of the latter all on my own #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

leathermarshmallow
Feb-17-2008, 12:24am
Our home is decorated ( my wife sometimes says littered with 3 mandos (4th next week!), electric and acoustic guitars and basses, 4 keyboards, a drum kit, various hand drums, and an avalanche of electronics and PA gear. I have sold/traded/pawned more equipment in the last 20 years than I currently own.
Started playing the mandolin daily ( 30min - 4hrs /day) last May and have probably played all other instruments a total of 4 hours since. That being said, I have regretted selling every piece but have NEVER regretted keeping anything! I try to think of secondary or tertiary insruments as an inspiration rather than a limitation - i provide plenty of the latter all on my own http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
That is about like my house. We have 6 or seven guitars (Accoustic, Electric, bass) 3 Mandolins, Piano, keyboards, various tin whistles, harmonicas and ocarinas. I would like to get more. Maybe have a little knowledge of a Uke, a 5 string banjo, a zither, a fiddle, and anything else I can think of.

Greg

Jim Garber
Feb-17-2008, 10:47am
I also have a large overflowing closet of many types of strings and other instruments. That is not to say that I play every one of them every day. My main concentration is still mandolin for the last few years but I do pick up the 6 string guitar often, have tooled around with tenor banjo recently and uke and fiddle get a drubbing from time to time. Much of it depends on what other want me to play either formally on gigs or informally parties and the like.

I still think even if I pared down the collection i would stil, keep at least one of each kind. No point I cutting your losses that way if you can afford to keep them -- it keeps your options open.

I do go thru phases tho. For instance, a few years ago I acquired a very nice classical guitar and started working on some pieces for that instrument which I love. I did migrate back to the mandolin and play my classical music there at the moment.

Jim
Feb-17-2008, 12:07pm
Giving an instrument to a player in need is another consideration, I've never regretted giving an instrument away to someone who wanted/needed it.