PDA

View Full Version : Gypsy cbom

bradeinhorn
Feb-11-2008, 2:59pm
Hey CBOM experts -

I'm getting a gypsy octave in from walt this week and he asked me whether i want it strung in octave or unison. i don't know which to do. could i get a bit of response from you folks as to the various pros/cons of each or anything else you think might help me make the decision.

thanks!

brad

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-11-2008, 3:37pm
Go for the unison. You can always try out an octave set of strings later.... but you won't really want to....

bradeinhorn
Feb-11-2008, 4:56pm
thanks. anyone disagree?

Patrick Bjorndal
Feb-11-2008, 6:21pm
I do, sort of. I have a Petersen Zook, with octaves on the G and D. But I also tune it GDAD. Play some lead but mostly chords and fill with it. I have a Freshwater Octave that I have strung in unison at GDAE. Mostly lead with this one and some chords. You will have to figure out what works for you. Try it both ways.

bradeinhorn
Feb-11-2008, 7:14pm
is one more generally accepted?

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-11-2008, 7:15pm
I recommended the unison so Walt wouldn't set the nut grooves for octave. Octaves will always fit in the unison groove but not vice-versa. Of course I wouldn't presume to second guess a master-craftsman like Walt. I'm sure he'll do an excellent job on the nut.

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-11-2008, 7:39pm
Actually the only time I've seen octaves on an OM is on my TC OM (octaves are manageable on a zook). I put on greek octaves - very light. Way too light to stay in tune on the low g string. I find the heavier gauge the better for the G strings. Needless to say I changed them out at the earliest opportunity. That's why I said in an earlier post that you could always try octaves later but you won't want to. Go with the unisons.

dunbarhamlin
Feb-12-2008, 6:27am
Perhaps ask for nuts and saddles (or bridge) for both options. I had one on order (hmmm, should chase it) with this option.

The ridgeback on my bench at the mo will be strung unison, as I find it more flexible.

Cheers
Steve

Ted Eschliman
Feb-12-2008, 7:12am
I was asked the same question (mine's part of this litter, too). Definitely unisons for me, too. I'm going to have him put some D'addario Chrome flatwound strings I'll be sending him, too.

scgc.om
Feb-12-2008, 2:02pm
Bradinhorn & Ted E. -

Please post pix of your "littermates" as soon as they are weaned and sent to you by Walt. Many here want to see Walt's work . . . up close and personal!

Arrival dates?

Ted Eschliman
Mar-09-2008, 4:33pm
I've had mine for a couple weeks now and plan to post a review later this week. All I can say, it's everything I hoped for and more. This is a great instrument!

Pics to come, but meantime, a little impromptu video: Bach OM Demo (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=29959516). Still getting used to this marvelous critter.

Celtic Saguaro
Mar-09-2008, 8:30pm
Thanks for the vid, Ted. The small top, deep body approach does make for a different sound than I'm used to. Looks like the Gypsy fills its price niche nicely.