PDA

View Full Version : Need new tuners for gibson snakehead mandolin

rosindabow
Feb-11-2008, 3:40am
I have a newly reconditioned 1925? Gibson Snakehead mandolin, Style A-Jr. My repairman tried as hard as he could to get the tuners to loosen up while he had the instrument on the bench - but he had no luck. I believe he sprayed them WD40 but it didn't do much. Everything on the mandolin is original and pristine (except perhaps the bridge) and the instrument sounds big and rich. The only problem is getting it in tune and keeping it in tune. The gears are incredibly difficult to turn and the instrument doesn't seem to hold it's pitch. Someone told me that there is at least one company that manufactures exact replacement tuning gears for this mandolin. Can someone please direct me there? Or, better still, is there any place to look for used tuning gears at a lower cost? Or even better, can these be repaired, loosened up?

By the way, serial number reads #81759, so I'm guestimating that it was built in or around 1925.

Thanks

MikeEdgerton
Feb-11-2008, 9:10am
If the original tuners are still intact try contacting Paul Hostetter. His website is www.lutherie.net (http://www.lutherie.net/). Paul seems well versed on repairing these tuners.

dan@kins
Feb-11-2008, 2:09pm
rosindabow, I also have a 1925 Snakehead A Jr. I also have grief with the tuners on mine. Mine has a great tone. I guess they still had a few of the snakehead headstocks laying around after Mr. Loar.

Keep me posted on your solution.

Mr. Loar
Feb-11-2008, 2:24pm
stewmac.com?

Gail Hester
Feb-11-2008, 2:46pm
Your tuners should look like these. There are no direct replacements without modification to your peghead. These tuners can usually be reconditioned to work just fine. Paul Hostetter’s site is the place to start.

You can also keep an eye out for a set of original replacements but keep in mind that these are worm gear above the cog configuration.

mandroid
Feb-11-2008, 6:48pm
Take them off the instrument, and then see what you can do , that way the chemicals, WD etc, will not mess up the finish.
3 bearing surfaces, 2 on the worm gear, one thru the mounting plate.
under the round gear.