PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of j.bovier a's?

Richard Russell
Feb-05-2008, 1:17am
Read great things about the F styles, how about the A models they offer? Any owners out there? Seems possible that these could be a lot of mandolin for their price range if they sound great like the f models.

Richard Russell
Feb-05-2008, 6:06pm
Hmmm......there has to be someone out there that has played one or owned one. Anyone?

Richard Russell
Feb-23-2008, 1:20pm
I went ahead and bought the A5 (from Kyle at themandoshop.com) so... #I'll have to answer my very own thread! #

Another positive vote for the J.Bovier line. #These are really high quality in fit and finish but more importantly sound. #The one I have has a sweet voice to it, but also has a nice, punchy bluegrass capability. #I like it because it is very refined in both feel (feels like a luxury mandolin in the hands. very comfortable with the radiused board and larger frets) and sound. #The notes really ring out strong and there is nice pop to the single notes. #Nice highs. #Lively E string for this price level. #Bass is good, and should get better as this thing gets played in. #It feels a little bit tight at this point. #The G chop is good, but not great. #The A chop and on up are super. #
This mandolin has nice response...It can be played softly and it plays nice that way. #Play harder and then it's volume responds very well. #Nice reserve power, if that makes sense. #It would be foolish for me to brag this mandolin up and say it's better than this model or that. #When you get into the A9's and Collings MTs and Weber A models like Hyalites and Absorakas, and the Breedlove quartz, #you get into another quality level, more refined fit and finish and sound. #That's a fact. #But for someone looking for quality that is great for just under the $500 level, this is it. #It'll be my main mandolin, but I could imagine it being a great 2nd mandolin for someone who owns one of the higher end mandolins, and It may get a whole lot of playing time in that role, because of it's satisfying sound and wonderful playability. #Other options would of course be Eastman 505 and Kentucky km505. #Each has it's voice. #I will say that I honestly like this JB A5 better than the Flatiron A that I owned and I think it's capabilities are right in that quality level for sure. #

That's my honest impression of the JBovier A5.

bluegrassjack2
Feb-23-2008, 3:44pm
I agree with arrich. especially for the money. I dont think I've seen a manolin that has been put together bether than this on. It virtually has no flaws in the fit and finish.
For the money, I dont see how u can go wrong.