PDA

View Full Version : No pain/ no gain

wiremando
Feb-04-2008, 4:55am
I did a search, as I have seen threads in the past,but to no avail. Sorry for the repeat thread.

I have developed a prety intense pain on the tip of my middle finger (left hand). Much worse than what I have experienced in the past. Not a surface pain, but almost like it is coming up from the bone itself. I am sure it is from practice, as I have been hittin' it pretty hard for the last four or five days. I can feel a much deeper and tougher callous forming than had previously been there... so at least some good is coming out of it.

What remedies have yall got for me, if any at all?? I hate to be a wuss about this by asking, but it is bad enough now that I will probably have to take a few days off of the hardcore practice sessions. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Gail Hester
Feb-04-2008, 5:01am
Normally I wouldn't think your problem was anything to worry about but a guitar player friend or ours recently had a similar problem and it ended up being a growth requiring surgical intervention. Not to scare you but I recommend you see your doctor to make sure and not risk your health by taking our lame advice on such an important matter.

wiremando
Feb-04-2008, 5:16am
If it keeps up, I'll see a doc, but I am fairly sure it is from practicing hammerons very vigurously, mixed in with high speed scales. High speed for me anyway. The metronome is set on 100, and I'm working each beat as a whole note, so that is what...400 bpm?? (How should one refer to that 100 bpm or 400, by the way??)

Anyway, I'll give it a few days

Snakebeard Jackson
Feb-04-2008, 9:25am
I get it too.
Play the blues when it hurts.
mnie will go away after a a little break. What makes it worse for me is if I switch betwen mando and guitar

Chris Biorkman
Feb-04-2008, 10:14am
I've also had this happen, but it always seems to occur when I've been practicing a great deal. I would recommend that you take a few days off to let things heal, then ease back into playing. If it is still bothering you after that, I would take Gail's advice and see a doctor.