PDA

View Full Version : F5 quilted kelley

Skip Kelley
Feb-03-2008, 2:50pm
Here are some pics of an F model I finished a few months ago. It has bigleaf quilted back and sides and a hard maple neck. The top is made from fir that is over 50 years old. Nice and dry and it has a great woody tone. Tight grain with some areas around 25 lines per inch. The fretboard, peghead overlay and bridge are all made from cocobola. I colored this mandolin to compliment the beautiful colors in the cocobola. The varnish aged the binding to a nice amber color. It makes the mandolin look older.

Chris Travers
Feb-03-2008, 3:05pm
What pics?

Skip Kelley
Feb-03-2008, 3:17pm
Sorry my computer crashed!

cooper4205
Feb-03-2008, 3:19pm
nice job, Skip.

Skip Kelley
Feb-03-2008, 3:20pm
Here's the back...

Skip Kelley
Feb-03-2008, 3:21pm
The side...

Skip Kelley
Feb-03-2008, 3:22pm
The peghead...

Skip Kelley
Feb-03-2008, 3:24pm
The bridge...

Skip Kelley
Feb-03-2008, 3:25pm
Back and sides...

John Hill
Feb-03-2008, 3:28pm
Very nice Skip! That is a wild pattern on the back.

woodwizard
Feb-03-2008, 3:32pm
Wow! That is some wood! VERY NICE JOB

bradeinhorn
Feb-03-2008, 3:45pm
well done skip. baby got back.

JEStanek
Feb-03-2008, 3:49pm
Very Nice, Skip. I really like the woodgrain on the back too. Very warm looking mando with the reds/oranges and the binding. Even the overlay on the peghead has a great warmth to it. The bridgewood looks like it came from the same stuff as the overlay on the peghead, yes?

Well done! Someone's going to be happy.

Jamie

Gail Hester
Feb-03-2008, 4:00pm
Bravo Skip, it's very beautiful. I love the quilt, the clean fretboard and that cocobola is fantastic. I have some cocobola waiting for a project and yours inspires me to do something with it. I have not used any fir but I've heard a couple mandolins with fir tops and they sounded great as I'm sure yours does.

Bill Snyder
Feb-03-2008, 4:01pm
...#The bridgewood looks like it came from the same stuff as the overlay on the peghead, yes?
From the original post:
"The fretboard, peghead overlay and bridge are all made from cocobola. I colored this mandolin to compliment the beautiful colors in the cocobola"

mandolirius
Feb-03-2008, 4:37pm
On the back there is a pattern of what looks like three inverted V-shapes, each one larger than the previous one. Did you do that, or was it just in the wood?

JEStanek
Feb-03-2008, 5:52pm
... The bridgewood looks like it came from the same stuff as the overlay on the peghead, yes?
From the original post:
"The fretboard, peghead overlay and bridge are all made from cocobola. I colored this mandolin to compliment the beautiful colors in the cocobola"
Smacks head... Duuuuuh, Jamie. Thanks Bill, Now I know.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Jamie

Skip Kelley
Feb-03-2008, 6:31pm
The cocobola is all the same piece of wood. The figure in the quilted back was just that way. It is an unusual piece. Thanks for all the compliments!

neangler
Feb-03-2008, 8:10pm
If it sounds as good as it looks, then it's a killer!

Chris Baird
Feb-03-2008, 8:31pm
Congratulations Skip, Looks great!

sunburst
Feb-03-2008, 9:19pm
Finally came back to this thread enough times for the pictures to load (@#$% dial-up!)
Fine job, Skip. That "flying V" back wood is something else!
(Still Winter there too, huh?)

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-04-2008, 1:52am
That's a beautiful Mandolin by any standard plus NO position dots on the fingerboard - I like !,
Saska:D

Joel Spaulding
Feb-04-2008, 3:19am
Beautiful work, Skip ! As Jamie said - very warm aesthetic. The peghead, fingerboard and bridge really add to the beauty and warmth of this instrument's look.
How does the cocoola compare tonally with "traditional" bridge materials ? .... on my way to the search function now #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

AlanN
Feb-04-2008, 7:23am
Love to give that one a spin, Skip!

Skip Kelley
Feb-04-2008, 7:24am
John, Yes it is still winter here. We finally had some warmer temperature so I took a few pics. drmole, the rosewoods used for bridges usually give the mandolin a warmer tone. Thanks to all for the kind words!

Lane Pryce
Feb-04-2008, 9:05am
Nice ----- a looker for sure!!! Lp

bkhooper
Feb-04-2008, 9:39am
Skip,
Beautifull job!!! I love the back and the overall color of this mandolin, very classy looking. Chalk up another one for the North Carolina Boys!!! I havent had a chance to start on my next one yet as I am finishing up a few guitars that I had commited to. I still want to get together sometime and talk shop though.

ken hooper

amowry
Feb-04-2008, 12:03pm
Beautiful, Skip! I love the color.

Skip Kelley
Feb-04-2008, 12:09pm
Thanks again guys! My wife was a big help in mixing the colors for the stain.

Mark Walker
Feb-04-2008, 3:25pm
Skip - VERY COOL! #As has been commented on already, very cool 'flying V' on the grain on the back of that mandolin.

Looks wonderful in all respects. Keep up the great work!

jaco
Feb-04-2008, 3:39pm
Beautiful job Skip. Number 12 is getting the frets crowned. Is this one about #20 or so?

CES
Feb-04-2008, 3:50pm
Beautiful mandolin, Skip!

Skip Kelley
Feb-04-2008, 4:39pm
Mike, it is indeed number 20! Hope you are doing well! How is number 12?

jaco
Feb-04-2008, 6:37pm
Number 12 is a hoss and a half. Goin on three years now. Got some pictures of Josh working out on it at Magfest but his hands are kind of blurry for some reason. Must have been some bad film. He called it a "great axe". Someone's gonna be a happy camper with #20.

Austin Clark
Feb-05-2008, 6:05pm
very cool quilt pattern, Skip. nice color too....

bkhooper
Feb-07-2008, 9:07am
Skip,
How about describing your process for finishing? I have used only laquer thus far but plan on varnish for the next F5.

thks,ken hooper

sledge
Feb-08-2008, 2:54pm
Very nice Skip. Why don't you bring that over to Roy's Saturday? I'd like to give that a closer inspection. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

sledge

Skip Kelley
Feb-09-2008, 8:36am
Austin, Thanks for the compliments! Ken, after I stain the instrument, I put on one coat of sealer and then apply with a small rag, several thin coats of varnish. After it has dried for sometime I sand it out and polish.
Sledge, maybe I can get over to Roy's next Saturday. Ed and I are practicing this Saturday morning. Thanks!