PDA

View Full Version : Photos of a unicorn

LateBloomer
Feb-02-2008, 6:54pm
I've had this Unicorn for nearly two years, haven't seen another. It was made in 1975 by Rolfe Gearhart, number 14. I know of one other cafe member who owns a Unicorn..... any other owners out here? If so post some photos!
LateBloomer

LateBloomer
Feb-02-2008, 6:55pm
Front View

LateBloomer
Feb-02-2008, 6:57pm
The back

LateBloomer
Feb-02-2008, 6:58pm
Artistic Shot

Brad Weiss
Feb-02-2008, 9:09pm
Hah! The shape of those f-holes is virtually unchanged on the Phoenix today (see my avatar)

Doug Edwards
Feb-02-2008, 9:27pm
Looks nice, Leigh Ann.

LateBloomer
Feb-03-2008, 6:34am
BradW - You have a good eye - the f holes are the same.

Doug- that McClung armrest is the perfect finishing touch!

maj34
Feb-03-2008, 7:36am
Sorry for the poor photo quality here. . .

This is Unicorn #147 (also known as Susan's Special), the next-to-last Unicorn built by Rolfe Gerhardt. I'm lucky enough to be this Unicorn's current caretaker.

Now I know another Cafe member who has a whole herd of Unicorns. . . Maybe he will show us some pictures!

maj34
Feb-03-2008, 7:37am
The back. . .

maj34
Feb-03-2008, 7:43am
The peghead. . .

maj34
Feb-03-2008, 7:45am
Fingerboard inlay. . . Each daisy petal is an individual piece of pearl!

LateBloomer
Feb-03-2008, 8:03am
VERY nice Marc! Interesting to see the more ornate headstock and fingerboard. If you know someone who has a herd of Unicorns you better get on their tail to post some pictures!

MandoHog
Feb-03-2008, 10:59pm
Hey, I think I know that dude. I'll ask him about it soon.....

Michael Wolf
Feb-04-2008, 1:08pm
Could you please describe the sound of these Mandos or send some soundfiles?

LateBloomer
Feb-05-2008, 4:49pm
aldimandola - I wish I could describe the sound...... My experience with other mandolins is pretty limited, and it's hard to compare/contrast. Is it a Loar? Well no, but I would say my Unicorn is well balanced. It's easy to play, and believe it or not MAS has not hit me. You get a lot of mandolin for your money with a Unicorn or Phoenix. Maybe one of the other Unicorn owners will chime in here....
LateBloomer

carler6
Feb-05-2008, 5:42pm
I've got #139 from 1980. It is actually back with my father at this point so I can't post any pictures. The headstock is more like maj34's but only has the unicorn head and no other inlays. The fretboard also lacks any inlays. My dad got it brand spanking new and he still has the original bill of sale as well as some other literature from Rolfe.

After a year of lessons and an inability to learn to keep time I thought he might like to spend more time with it since he still plays. It is still in perfect shape.

Bob A
Feb-05-2008, 5:45pm
I have an F5 style unicorn; mine was made by Dave Sinko, after he bought the company from Rolfe. Very LOUD instrument.

mandolirius
Feb-05-2008, 5:51pm
<This is Unicorn #147 (also known as Susan's Special), the next-to-last Unicorn built by Rolfe Gerhardt. I'm lucky enough to be this Unicorn's current caretaker.>

It's interesting that Rolph just kept his number sequence going when he started building Phoenix mandolins. I have #159, which he said was the tenth one built, so is it possible there were two more Unicorns after yours?

maj34
Feb-05-2008, 8:34pm
Mandolirius:

I only say it was the next-to-last Unicorn he made because Rolfe told me it was. #I just checked the Phoenix website, and it says that Rolfe built 149 instruments during the Unicorn era, including two F-5 copies. #Maybe Rolfe told me my #147 was the second-to-last Unicorn he built. . . I could be remembering incorrectly.

As far as tone goes, mine is still breaking in (it had only about 2 hours of playing time on it when I got it last fall). #At this point in the process, I would describe it as very resonant with a very cutting tone. #The low end is still developing.

Brian Aldridge
Feb-07-2008, 9:04am
I just thought I would chime in here on this discussion. I bought my first Unicorn in 1979, a standard model, from Elderly Instruments. I loved it. I ordered a Master Model, which looked a lot like Marc's #147. Mine, I was told, was the last Unicorn, and #148. I had this in a letter he wrote me when he sent me the mandolin. Perhaps he squeezed another in after that. I know I have owned between eight and ten Unicorns over the years, at one time having three. They all were really good mandolins- quite loud and responsive, with a consitent and distinct voice. I sold LateBloomer the one she owns. It is a wonderful instrument. I would describe the voice as being loud, very woody, deep bottom end but enough mid-range to work great in ensambles. Rolfe is a great guy and a tremendous builder.

MandoHog
Feb-26-2008, 10:28pm
Here is my small herd of Uni's. A U-18, U-28, U-76 & 2 U-42's. The only other one that is not pictured here is a Unicorn Gibson F-5 copy. #http://www.roundmountainsounds.com-a.googlepages.com/UnicornCircle500.jpg

maj34
Feb-26-2008, 10:43pm
Wow, that's a beautiful herd. #Thanks for sharing!

Since you have so many Unicorns to choose from, can you chime in on the tone? #Any major differences between the 5 (or 6, if you count the Gibson copy)?

MandoHog
Feb-26-2008, 10:49pm
And here is the U-76.
http://www.roundmountainsounds.com-a.googlepages.com/23U76Headstocksm.jpghttp://www.roundmountainsounds.com-a.googlepages.com/23U76Front.jpg[B]

MandoHog
Feb-26-2008, 10:59pm
Well, I love them all. But the U-76 is a hoss. Bright, clear, crisp, with plenty of bottom. Rolfe really brought it all together in this mando.

LateBloomer
Feb-27-2008, 6:12am
MandoHog
I'm impressed - and drooling! What a great herd of Unicorns. How long have you had these beauties - have you had them all a long time or have you acquired some of them fairly recently? Do you have a Phoenix as well - to compare and contrast the tone? Would you agree with Brian's assessment of the tone?

It's obvious you love the Unicorn's - I do as well, so pardon my stream of questions!
Leigh Ann

mandolirius
Feb-27-2008, 9:42pm
<I just checked the Phoenix website, and it says that Rolfe built 149 instruments during the Unicorn era, including two F-5 copies. Maybe Rolfe told me my #147 was the second-to-last Unicorn he built. . . I could be remembering incorrectly.>

<Mine, I was told, was the last Unicorn, and #148. I had this in a letter he wrote me when he sent me the mandolin. Perhaps he squeezed another in after that.>

Sorry, I forgot about this thread. Given that Rolph told me that #159 was the tenth Phoenix, it looks like Marc is right and he did build one more. It should be #149. I wonder if we can raise its owner's attention. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

MandoHog
Mar-29-2008, 3:14pm
Speaking of the famous F5 copies, does anybody really know how many there are outstanding? http://www.phoenixmandolins.com/builder.htm #This site mentions 4 that #were made between Rolfe & Jeff Harrison (I have one of these). Here is one: http://www.finemusicalinstruments.com/item184821.ctlg #How many did Dave Sinko build? Bob A mentions that he has one. Are there more known like that out there? I saw two for sale one time at Winfield KS from the Unicorn booth in about 1975 or so. I guess that is what started my appreciation for Unicorns in the first place. There really was not very many mandos to choose from back then. At least not in the circles I was in at the time. So to see such a fine work of art was very refreshing. I have been especially interested in this chapter of mandolin history ever since. Would love to hear if others out there have had any sighting of these rare Unicorns and there whereabouts now days.

Stealth
Dec-20-2012, 12:32pm
I was checking out Unicorn mandolins and ran across this old thread. I have Unicorn mandolin #2. It is an F5 copy made for me in 1974. I have played it since then. It has received a few battle scars over the years. It sounds great to me. I played Monteleone #10 last night and believe they sound similar. I did not have my Unicorn with me to compare them side by side but plan to in the not to distant future. I am at work now but will post pictures of my Unicorn F5 this weekend if anyone is interested.

MandoHog
Dec-20-2012, 5:09pm
Hi! Yes Sir, I am very interested in seeing some pictures and hearing all you can share with me about this one. Is it a Gibson F-5 copy, or an F-style that has a Unicorn on the peghead? I would guess it's the Gibson copy, but either way it is an important mando in this great history. Looking forward to hearing more about this. Thanks for reaching out. David Finch (mandohog)