PDA

View Full Version : A little advice

John Rosett
Feb-02-2008, 4:19pm
I have a 1914 Gibson A mandolin that I'd like to get some advice on from people experienced in repairing these mandolins.
The top is slightly collapsed on the treble side of the bridge, and the brace is loose on that side. It seems to be fairly stable (for the moment), and holds pitch okay. I sent it to a trusted repairman who's an old friend, and he discovered that some yahoo reglued the brace with epoxy or some kind of non-water soluable glue. there's a big glob of said glue between the top and the brace, making regluing impossible.
I should mention that this mandolin has been completely refinished, and has a replacementbridge and tailpiece.
It seems like my only options are to either just play it the way it is until something happens, or have major sugery done to it, either taking the back off, removing and replacing the brace and hoping that it'll hold, or having a new top made. It seems like either of the repair options would cost close to what I could buy a decent condition old A for.
So, My questions are: What can I expect to pay for those kind of repairs, and can anybody think of any other options? Thanks.

sunburst
Feb-02-2008, 4:53pm
I'd try a razor saw through the sound hole, probably just the blade, not in the "back", and saw the "yahoo"s epoxy out, follow that with files/sandpaper/scrapers or something to clean the glue/junk out, then re-glue the brace.
If that didn't work, I'd try making a new brace and remove the old one completely, along with the glue/junk.

John Rosett
Feb-03-2008, 9:52am
Wow! 113 views and 1 reply. John, you must be the brave one here. Seriously, folks, I could really use some help on this...

Rroyd
Feb-03-2008, 10:20am
Michael Lewis also posted, but I see that it is gone now, but he agreed with John's input. #Was the repair done only to the end that is pulled loose, or has the entire brace been reglued with the unknown substance? #If it had just separated as it is now, and they just globbed a little epoxy in the crack and clamped it back, John's suggestions seem
to be very doable. #If the brace isn't warped, and the bass side is solid and secure, and the separation can be successfully cleaned out, that would sure be the way to do it. #There might end up being a few little gaps that would require some sort of glue to fill them, like epoxy. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

John Rosett
Feb-03-2008, 10:37am
I really don't know if the whole brace has been reglued or not. My big concern with this is that if the brace was reglued before and came apart again, maybe the top isn't structurally sound. But the glue glob between the brace and the top makes it seem like the joint failed before the glue was even dry.
My goal with this mandolin is to have a reliable and good sounding player. Surely there's someone here that would be interested in doing the work. If there is, get in touch. Thanks.

jim_n_virginia
Feb-03-2008, 10:40am
If it sounds OK and plays OK I'd just play it until it gets worse IF it ever does.

And sometimes it takes a little while before anyone who can give you good luthier advice posts. All those page views might just be from people who can't help you.

I am sure the right people will se this and help! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

woodwizard
Feb-03-2008, 10:48am
I think your best bet would be to get in touch with them yourself and arange for them to look at to give you an estiment of the cost. Most luthiers here at the cafe are great mandolin builders and some do repair like this. You might find that it will take a while because of their work load.
John would be an excelent choice. There are many more. Good luck. Remember ... you get what you pay for. The repair person can only give you a ballpark estiment without holding it in their hands. It might be more or less. They can tell you for sure after their inspection.

Bob A
Feb-03-2008, 11:38am
I suspect the thing to do would be to have a luthier remove the old brace/epoxy mess, attempt to restore the top to its original shape, then insert a new brace to keep it stable. Not terribly cheap, but if it's a good-sounding instrument it would probably be worth the effort. Cost would depend on whether the repair could be effected thru the soundhole.

Bernie Daniel
Feb-03-2008, 12:04pm
You should take a look at the top repairs detailed by Frank Ford on his Frets.com site. It will help give you a perspective on possible fixes. #In one sense you are lucky as it seems like the failure is due to the failure of the transvese brace not to a general topboard weakness. #

The idea of sawing out the old brace along with the epoxy then gluing in a new brace sure seems like a good solution to me. JMO

Bill Snyder
Feb-03-2008, 1:54pm
Wow! 113 views and 1 reply. John, you must be the brave one here. Seriously, folks, I could really use some help on this...
If John's advice is good why do you need any more advice from other readers?
If you are looking for a luthier to do the repairs ask for recommendations, pick one and get on with it.
Your in N. Carolina and John Hamlett is in Virginia. He would be a good choice.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-03-2008, 2:05pm
I would guess that the other viewers didn't consider themselves as qualified to offer you the advice you were looking for. Be thankful for that. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

John Rosett
Feb-03-2008, 2:24pm
Thanks for the advice (and chastisement) everybody. I'm going to send it to James Condino to look at and hopefully fix. Here's a pic of the mandolin in question just for grins.

Bernie Daniel
Feb-03-2008, 2:27pm
mike Edgerton: I would guess that the other viewers didn't consider themselves as qualified to offer you the advice you were looking for. Be thankful for that.

Good One! Should this comment be "required reading" by all who want to post? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif