PDA

View Full Version : Gibson a-9 owners:

300win
Feb-01-2008, 1:33pm
I've had mine a little over a week, and it is by far the best picking, best sounding mandolin I ever owned. Interested in others here that have that model, and how you like yours. Many thanks.

woodwizard
Feb-01-2008, 1:38pm
Had a F9 once that was fantastic, (wish I still had it), and I have a friend that's got an A9 Charlie Derringer gave him that sounds pretty good.

Greenmando
Feb-01-2008, 7:16pm
Love mine!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/ferretkona/Mandolins/Gibson004.jpg

pickinNgrinnin
Feb-01-2008, 7:49pm
Owned 2 along the M.A.S. trail. 1st one was very good but the 2nd one smoked. Wish I still have that one. Great Gibson tone. Very comfortable neck shape to play. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

45ACP-GDLF5
Feb-02-2008, 12:07am
I've had mine a little over a week, and it is by far the best picking, best sounding mandolin I ever owned. Interested in others here that have that model, and how you like yours. Many thanks.
I've got a 2002 model that I've had for 2 years and it is VERY loud and plays great. I've had a new bone nut installed and the frets dressed, but other than that, no other work done to it. I did however, change all the hardware from nickel to gold.

Alan Bibey and I talked about this last year. He and I both feel that since the A9 and F9 do not have lacquer or varnish finishes, that it helps with the tone and volume of the instrument. Mine has just enough bass and just enough treble to sound "full" when you play it!

Baron Collins-Hill
Feb-02-2008, 1:18am
ive got a 2003 (see pictures section for pics, its the distressed a9 thread) and it will never be sold. its beat up pretty good but i love it more every day.

RobP
Feb-02-2008, 1:40am
Do these have a radiused fretboard?

Chris Biorkman
Feb-02-2008, 2:09am
No.

Rick Crenshaw
Feb-02-2008, 10:38am
I bought an A9 during the GC 'close-out'. Sold it for what I paid (900) when I got my first Daley. I sold it because I knew, it would never get played... but it was a fine mandolin and I wish I had it back. Though, it would probably only be third or fourth in my current mando line-up. $ for $ it was a seriously kicking mandolin. Would it be my first choice at todays street price for a new one? I'm not sure. But for $900 the guy who bought mine got a great mandolin and a great deal.

Frank Russell
Feb-02-2008, 2:48pm
Mine was great once I made the following modifications: replace the cheap Corian nut with a bone one, fit the bridge to the top, and sand down the circulation killing binding, which both F9 and A9 came with. That binding had such a sharp edge on it you could have used the side of that mandolin as a chisel. Once I made those changes, it was a killer mandolin, and the new owner it went to later still plays it for all I know. Of course, that was when you could find a used one for $900 or less. Now, they're a bit pricey for my taste. Get up over $1100 or so, and you're getting close to used MT, Flatiron A or used Old Wave territory, which is where my money would be more comfortably spent. Frank

Baron Collins-Hill
Feb-02-2008, 4:21pm
yeah, i havent seen one under about a grand for quite a while. i got mine used for 650 a couple years back, probably '05 i think.

300win
Feb-02-2008, 11:27pm
On Gibson's OAI website, the specs on a A-9 list a bone nut. The one I got has bone. Mr. Russel when was yours made ?

Tim Conroy
Feb-02-2008, 11:40pm
Best $800.00 I ever spent.

Baron Collins-Hill
Feb-03-2008, 1:11am
mine also came with a corian nut that i replaced and had the bridge fit and recently got a fret job (now banjo wire)

300win
Feb-03-2008, 8:24am
PhishPhan looked at yours on the pictures threads. It has some character for sure! Distressed naturally by being played as they should be.

mandobsessed
Feb-03-2008, 10:43am
I love mine. I've played a lot of mandolins since then and most looked prettier but none sounded better under my fingers. Its tone fits my style like a glove. Mine has a bone nut (replacement) and is pretty distressed at this point. Is it a Master Model, no but it turns heads at any jam I take it to.

Occasionally I'll get all drooly for a fancy mandolin with curlicues and sunbursts but I always come back to my lowly 9.

Baron Collins-Hill
Feb-03-2008, 1:46pm
the only thing i will ever get beyond my a9 is a phoenix jazz all customized, but im never going to sell my a9 (or any other instrument i purchase).

Bernie Daniel
Feb-03-2008, 2:15pm
I think the Gibson A-9 is the mandolin deal of the decade.

I decided to spiffy mine up a bit as it sounds like a $5000 mandolin I thought that it should look a bit fancier.

Here is my with fleur-di-lis inaly, fretboard dots, custom pickguard and MOP trus rod cover.

I love this mandolin!

Bernie Daniel
Feb-03-2008, 2:17pm
Here is the headstock up closer. It was my second attempt at inlay and my first on a ebony surface. I was happy enough with it but it is far from prefect job.

woodwizard
Feb-03-2008, 2:40pm
Looks like a pretty good job to me and it really makes it look good. The F9 I had came from the factory with the fret board dots. That can't be that much more work to put those in there. I think they should be standard IMHO

surfandstrum
Feb-03-2008, 5:45pm
I was curious was that strap button on the bass side I see?

Bernie Daniel
Feb-03-2008, 8:18pm
Woodwizard: The F9 I had came from the factory with the fret board dots. That can't be that much more work to put those in there. I think they should be standard IMHO

I really agree with that -- installation of those dots esp on the fingerboard BEFORE it is glued onto the mandolin, and using a jig of some kind must be all of a 15 minute job!

Gibson is to be praised for offering these fine mandolins at reasonable prices -- but fingerboard dots are really important for good playing and should not be left off.

I always keep my eye out for a good price on an F-9 -- when I find one I'll strip the brown off -- tobacco sunburst it with wood stain and spirit varnish, set the "Gibson" script parallel to the frets, and inlay a flowerpot. There you have it that 1930's Gibson look -- I love it.

Those Gibson A-9's and F-9's richly deserve your special attention. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Bernie Daniel
Feb-03-2008, 9:51pm
surfandstrum: I was curious was that strap button on the bass side I see?

Its an ebony end button -- I cut it off, drilled a hole in it and then epoxied a wood screw that I had cut the head off from. The leather strap is locked on the button with small plastic locking cable strap. Works as well as a scroll.

Baron Collins-Hill
Feb-03-2008, 11:31pm
i am personally a fan of the no dots look. so long as they are on the side, id much rather keep the face straight up black

300win
Feb-04-2008, 2:09pm
Makes no differance to me if there are dots or not, I very seldom look at the neck when I'm picking.

Big Joe
Feb-05-2008, 12:02am
Why do you need fretboard dots? My custom Master Model does not have any fingerboard inlay (at my request). I find them useless. However, I do like the side markers. They can be helpful at times http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .

300win
Feb-05-2008, 12:09am
Exactly Bjig Joe! Only time I can see any inlay on the fretboard is when I hold it up facing me. Sure can't see anything while I'm picking.

pickinNgrinnin
Feb-05-2008, 12:24am
Aesthetics.

Ken Olmstead
Feb-05-2008, 1:29am
I bought my F9 as a second while my Weber was getting some work done. I got a great deal on one that sat in a guitar shop for several years. I low balled them and they finally took it. Lucky me!! What a great mando! I had the fretboard radiused (sp), larger frets installed and yes... dot inlays. I could not get into the look without them and it did not cost hardly any extra to install them while the other work was being done. He also installed a fossilized ivory nut which I did not notice any sound change. Plays like butter now! The Weber is supposed to be back next week and the F9 will be going in for a "Flowerpot" inlay and a Siminoff bridge. The stock bridge on mine is junk! Anyway I am rambleing. Love the F9, like dots and flower pots and will be keeping both mandos! Now how to fund the oval hole??? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Bernie Daniel
Feb-05-2008, 6:39am
Why do you need fretboard dots? My custom Master Model does not have any fingerboard inlay (at my request). I find them useless. However, I do like the side markers. They can be helpful at times

Several voiced this sentiment.

But I feel the opposite -- the side dots are of little use to me and I do use the ones on the fingerboard for reference - I use them a LOT for placement of my little finger when playing between the 7th and 15th frets.

Interesting.

Also I think mandolin teachers find them very useful for students to look across and orient by. That is just my opinion though because no one takes lessons from me. (and that is good thing).

300win
Feb-05-2008, 7:00am
Bernie, had not thought about that, if you are teaching someone they would benefit from watching where you were on the fingerboard. I don't teach either, but have in the past showed a lick or two to someone if they asked, as all of us have I would suppose.

Markelberry
Feb-09-2008, 3:01pm
just sold a Flatiron performer f style that sounded great hated selling it. I picked up a Gibson A-9 for 850.00 and it is a great mandolin like it as well as the flatty easily. I am going to have a setup done and bone nut installed. I love it great balance easy to play!

Bill Snyder
Mar-10-2008, 10:22am
-- but fingerboard dots are really important for good playing and should not be left off.
Why? What do the dots have to do with how you play? I have never understood how dots help. I am not a great player, but the prescence or lack of dots makes no difference. Maybe it is because I grew up playing viola and there were never any dots, but there were not any frets either. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif We had to look at the music and the director.

300win
Mar-11-2008, 2:22pm
Just like to add to this. I've had my A-9 now going on 5 weeks. I raised the G string side of the saddle up a bit. Been playing this mandolin every chance I get. Just played in a full 5 piece band { with fiddle} this past Friday. Had no trouble hearing my mandolin, niether did anyone else. If I beared down on it just a tad, it would hold it's on against the banjo. Chops are becoming enourmous! I really love this mandolin. Just wished I could have had something of this caliber many years ago.