PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning varnish finish

mandolirius
Feb-01-2008, 1:28pm
Not really looking to polish it as much as just getting some of the jam session crud off the top.

Bill Snyder
Feb-01-2008, 1:56pm
Slightly dampened microfibre cloth.

kudzuklunker
Feb-01-2008, 2:06pm
Bill is right on. However, I have been using a product for sometime now called Martin & Co. guitar polish, made by guardsman. I don't use it regularly, usually when I change strings or feel that it just needs a good clean up. It seems to easily cut the "crud" and leave a high gloss without any buildup. Maybe someone else has had some experience with this product.

Mando Medic
Feb-01-2008, 2:27pm
I use Martin Guitar Polish on most instruments that come into the shop as a second step. My first step is take a flannel cloth that has been very lightly dampened with water and go over the instrument. Next I buff with a dry cloth, then comes the Martin Polish. If that doesn't take care of then I break out the Naptha, especially for varnished finishes, but it works well on lacquer and poly finishes too. Kenc

mandolirius
Feb-01-2008, 8:02pm
Thanks, MM. I'll pick up some Martin polish. I think I've got a rag and some water around somewhere. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Jonathan James
Feb-01-2008, 9:16pm
for varnish, nothing beats Jubilee polish by Dave Harvey at Gibson. Also, between real clean=ups, the microcloths on the JazzMando site are the real deal!

Hoovetone
Feb-01-2008, 10:53pm
A year after after I got my Skip Kelly varnish A-style,I used 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and a microfiber cloth. The result was great!

Michael Lewis
Feb-02-2008, 1:21am
Be careful here folks. In general the above advice is good but sometimes a varnish will pick up some of the water and become dull. As Ken Cartwright stated, use a soft cloth VERY LIGHTLY dampened, that means almost dry. If you do use water or the Martin polish be sure to dry the surface immediately or it can become dulled. Many polishes contain a fine abrasive which wears away some of the finish in the process, and most varnish is rather thin, so tread lightly. The best advice is to keep the instrument clean, and wipe it down with a clean soft dry cloth each time you put it away. This will prevent any build up of dirt and give it a wonderful sheen as time passes.

Chris Biorkman
Feb-02-2008, 1:30am
Be careful here folks. #In general the above advice is good but sometimes a varnish will pick up some of the water and become dull. #As Ken Cartwright stated, use a soft cloth VERY LIGHTLY dampened, that means almost dry. #If you do use water or the Martin polish be sure to dry the surface immediately or it can become dulled. #Many polishes contain a fine abrasive which wears away some of the finish in the process, and most varnish is rather thin, so tread lightly. #The best advice is to keep the instrument clean, and wipe it down with a clean soft dry cloth each time you put it away. #This will prevent any build up of dirt and give it a wonderful sheen as time passes.
Agreed. I tend to believe that Michael probably knows what he's talking about.

evanreilly
Feb-02-2008, 12:28pm
Lynn Dudenbostel recommended Harvey's Jubilee polish. I like it!