PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on collings mt vs. gibson a9?

Frank T.
Jan-24-2008, 2:04pm
I have played both and I am leaning towards getting the MT. Any comments on either one is appreciated. Thanks.

otterly2k
Jan-24-2008, 2:27pm
My thoughts... that's not a bad choice to have to make. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I've played each, although it's been a while. If I recall correctly, I think I preferred the neck feel of the Collings.

If there are differences between the two on things like fretboard radius, nut width, neck profile, etc. then try to figure out what your preferences are. They are both very good and well-respected instruments, afaik.

John Flynn
Jan-24-2008, 2:36pm
I had an instructor a couple of years ago who was a pretty hot bluegrass player and played with a couple of local groups. He had an A-9, but upgraded to an MT and felt it was worth it. I agreed. However, if all you are doing is playing grass, you really like that super-traditional sound and you are OK with the flat fingerboard on the A-9, I have to say it does have a lot of that Gibson sound for the money. I prefer Collings myself, but I am not much of a 'grasser.

Chris Biorkman
Jan-24-2008, 2:38pm
If you've already played both, just choose which one you like most. I think I've heard more positive things about the MT than the A-9, but there are fans of both. I think Collings build quality is a lot cleaner than Gibson's, and I prefer the radiused board and larger frets on the Collings, but to each their own.

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-24-2008, 2:45pm
The MT I think is a sure fire choice, I almost never hear a negative responce. It I lost all I had, and I had to choose one mandolin at that price the MT would be for me.

pager
Jan-24-2008, 2:47pm
I sold my Gibson for a Collings and I have never looked back.

Bernie Daniel
Jan-24-2008, 4:34pm
Frank T: I have played both and I am leaning towards getting the MT

Likewise, I also played both.

I played a couple of Collins MT mandolins and like both of them and almost bought one of them. #I could not decide which one to get because they sounded exactly the same.

So I decided to think about it for a while.

I'm glad that I didn't purchase one of the Collins in the end.

A couple of weeks later I came across a four year old Gibson A9 that simple blew those other two away.

After two years of playing the A9 and using it as my traveling mandolin I have not changed my opinion. #If you want tone and projection you can't beat an A9 without spending a LOT of capital.

For about a grand(you can usually find a good used one for $1000 + change) there simply is no better buy out there in my opinion.

Greg H.
Jan-24-2008, 4:57pm
The two have different sound and different feel. On here there are Collings fans and Gibson fans (I fall in the latter). One is not necessarily better than the other just different (though some here do seem to view this more as black vs. white). Play both and decide which YOU like best. There is no wrong choice between those two.

pickinNgrinnin
Jan-24-2008, 10:34pm
I've owned 2 A9's and have played a good number of MT's. The MT's are pretty consistent in terms of tone and volume. My first A9 was a good one but the 2nd one really smoked. I don't really have a strong preference between the radiused and flat fretboards or the large vs small fretwire. The A9's were pretty plain looking when they were first introduced but they seem to be using nicer looking Maple in the past few years. Either one would be a good choice and probably offer more instrument than most of us would need.

Also keep an eye out for a used Nashville made Flatiron Performer. I have one now and it is a stronger Mandolin than the A5-L I used to own.

Andrew DeMarco
Jan-24-2008, 10:45pm
My Collings MT arrived yesterday. I'm absolutely in love. More than I thought I'd be.... It's super comfortable and I love the sound. Really. Really really.

I was also playing a new A9 at Mando Bros when I was looking for a mando and have considered going back to buy it. It was a different feel but also easy to play.

I went with the Collings because of the sounds, the feel and superb reputation.

Baron Collins-Hill
Jan-24-2008, 10:52pm
well, id say its really down to what you like better. go to a store with both if you have that option and go crazy. i have an a9, but mostly because it was a steal and ive played the starch out of and it shows. i brought it to get a refret and the folks said (jokingly that i shouldnt play it so much). i love it.

baron