You can see the journey to get this in the general topic under "Sund Posts?"
I love the simplicty of these...

JEStanek
Jan-22-2008, 1:52pm
Great looking top wood, man!

Jamie

JHo
Jan-22-2008, 1:56pm
Nice. I've never gotten to play one, though I've heard nothing but good things about them.

farkle_30
Jan-22-2008, 1:59pm
Thanks...btw the post is Sound Posts not Sund posts.
I got this at Music Folk in St. Louis, If you are ever there stop by, you will be VERY impressed.

farkle_30
Jan-22-2008, 2:02pm
Here is a link to their site...I don't work for them, I just like the store. http://musicfolk.com
and one more picture

kudzuklunker
Jan-22-2008, 2:23pm
What is the general price range for this instrument? I like it!

midmando
Jan-22-2008, 2:29pm
Can't get them anymore new, but the Big Muddy's are pretty much the same instrument. I got my m1 new several years ago for around $300. Not sure what the Big Muddy's go for. They are great playing, great sounding, inexpensive American made mandos though.

farkle_30
Jan-22-2008, 2:30pm
I paid $350 but it was used. If I understand correctly Mid-Missouri's place in columbia burned down and the insurance company screwed him. However he is now making stuff under the name Big Muddy...I think they were $600 or so bucks. Not a bad price for an American made all solid axe

Brad Weiss
Jan-22-2008, 2:42pm
Looks just like my Mid-Mo 'dola, purchased from the Cafe in Fall for $400. #Great deals!

Michael H Geimer
Jan-22-2008, 2:54pm
Great looking Mid-mo! I'm currently favoring my M-11 as the "Go To" mandolin of the house, but my M-0 has gone places with me that no other instrument has, or could go! On top of that, I have a not-often-used, but great sounding Big Muddy mandola. With three all together, call me a fan of their work!

- Mike

Mike Buesseler
Jan-22-2008, 7:48pm
Mr. Geimer, you are a Fan of Their Work! How's home suitin' you, Mike?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Michael H Geimer
Jan-23-2008, 7:33am
MikeB,
You know ... I bought that M-0 as a "beater" to carry around during my first trip out here. I think it was a sign. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

- MG

billkilpatrick
Jan-23-2008, 8:47am
i've a limited choice from which to obtain samples from but i've noticed that tone varies greatly with a change of strings on my m-4 ... it seems to have many voices. flatwound, steel strings (from dogal) makes it sound more like a lute; light gauge strings from galli give it a bright bowlback sound and d'addario bronzewound make seem suitable for bluegrass.

i love the woody tone of my epiphone m-30 but it doesn't provide this variety of tone.

making something simple AND comprehensive is rare and wonderful.

catmandu2
Jan-30-2008, 10:13am
As a proud owner of a M-0, I've been on the lookout for others the past couple of years. Last night, I occasioned upon ebay at just the right time and scored a M-1 for a killer BIN price.

Now, I don't really expect to get an M-2, or M-3...(but I kinda want an M-4)

powercat
Jan-30-2008, 12:42pm
The Old Mid-mo / Franklin Guitar (http://www.franklinguitarcompany.com/products_mandolins.php) site says that the basic differences between the M-1 and M-11 are the use of a spruce top and rosewood bridge and fretboard on the M-1 as opposed to the all mahogany and ebony parts of the M-11. So how do the difference in woods affect the sound differences (if any) between the M-1 and M-11?

mandogerry
Jan-30-2008, 1:17pm
Here is another member of the Mid-Mo / Big Muddy fan club. I bought a new M-4 long distance a few months ago, based on how Cafe members have raved about the instruments, plus a couple of lovely sound clips sent to me. I was not disappointed. It gets way more playing time now than my other two, more costly, mandolins. The tone is deep and smooth (courtesy of the "rosewood" pao ferro back and sides?), and something about the simple overall design, the tubby body, and the round unvarnished neck, really appeal to me.

The M-4 is one of their more expensive models, and it only cost me $500 from the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago (NFI). They threw in a hard shell case that is slightly too long, but OK, for another $40. You also probably could order a mandolin directly from Mike Dulak, who is Mister Big Muddy and reportedly a heck of a nice guy. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Eric F.
Jan-30-2008, 1:32pm
Still loving my M-4. Still jonesing for an M-11 to add to the herd.

farkle_30
Feb-03-2008, 11:50pm
Due to a recent financial issue I may have to sell my beloved mid-mo. I doubt the music store would take it back and I wouldn't expect them to. If someone is intrested let me know. I love my mid mo but my family is more important. I am confident I can find another one in the near future.

Bill Snyder
Feb-03-2008, 11:52pm
List it in the classifieds. It is free.

farkle_30
Feb-04-2008, 12:14am
I just did...Thanks for the advice.

Lou Scuderi
Feb-04-2008, 12:20am
That's too bad about the financial troubles! My first mando was a Mid-Mo M1, and it served me well for five years until I finally upgraded. My 'dola is also a mid-mo, and if I had the time I'd play it more. Good luck with the sale!

farkle_30
Feb-04-2008, 12:25am
Thanks....Things just come up sometimes, I'll get something else sometime soon I hope. I bought it on a whim (which is why I shouldn't hang around Music Stores) so it isn't a real hardship to I part with it, but it sure plays nice and I will miss that. I will spend the time building up my finger muscles playing an old Kay!

farkle_30
Feb-04-2008, 12:44am
What's amazing is that on ebay a guy has an m2 up for auction, He got it at the same place where I did....weird!