PDA

View Full Version : Dvd suggestons

heyday
Jan-18-2008, 3:32pm
Well, I'm new here, and I got a mandolin for Christmas, the $50 Rogue, but it has gotten me just a little smitten with learning this thing. I grew up around Bluegrass and Country music, so on the mandolin I naturally start to gravitate to Bluegrass. I started playing Bluegrass bass, oh... MANY years ago, and can play rhythm guitar pretty good.

So with a good background on a lot of the songs, etc, I'd really like a DVD or something that could help me work on learning the Bluegrass Mandolin.

I see lots out there, Sam Bush, etc... so
What are some good ones, for someone familar with music, but new to the mandolin?

Thanks.

heyday
Jan-19-2008, 5:08pm
No suggestions? Did I miss something somewhere?

re simmers
Jan-19-2008, 7:43pm
Give us a lttle time! It's hard to say without knowing whether or not you are a complete novice. But, the Mandolin of Bill Monroe, Vol. 1 and 2 from Homespun.com is good. I guess I would give a stronger recommendation to Herschel Sizemore's instructional DVD. Pay close to attention to what Herschel says about the right hand. That is essential!

Bob Simmers

Steve Cantrell
Jan-19-2008, 9:25pm
I would second the Monroe DVD, although keep in mind some of his stuff can be pretty crooked for a beginner. My first mandolin instruction of any type was one of those "Murphy Method" VHS tapes. I learned to play along and at least got the feel for it. I followed that up with Roland White's Book and CDs, which were invaluable.

heyday
Jan-19-2008, 9:59pm
No suggestions? Did I miss something somewhere?
Being new to the site, I wasn't real sure if I'd even posted in the correct area. I'd searched around a bit and didn't see anything related... Well, that's why I made the comment in case I'd missed something.

As to novice, well, beginner on Mando as I said in my first post, but I've been working through Greg Horne's Beginning Mandolin book, and I've also got Ray Valla's Bluegrass Mando Method that I'm working on. I've got a pretty solid grasp on Bluegrass, as I've been playing it and singing it all my life, just new on the Mandolin. I like to have some visuals to guide me at times, and I just ordered a DVD from the classifieds, Butch Baldassari's BG workout, to help me along the way, hope it's a good one...

On the Monroe DVD's that the ones hosted by Bush? I had contemplated the Herschel Sizemore one, and will look even harder now. Thanks.

Keep with the suggestions, cause I seem to have caught a touch of some sort of addiction, cause I've not picked up my guitar or my bass since I got the Mandolin.

Hallmark498
Jan-22-2008, 2:30pm
Ronnie Mccourie (sp?)is good one!

Wesley
Jan-23-2008, 9:32am
For someone just starting out you couldn't go wrong with the Butch Baldasari series on Introduction to Bluegrass Mandolin from Homespun Tapes.

heyday
Jan-23-2008, 2:28pm
Thanks

lgc
Jan-23-2008, 3:35pm
Captain Corelli's Mandolin (2001)

Wadefox
Jan-23-2008, 11:09pm
For a non-instructional Bluegrass DVD, I recommend High Lonesome, all about Bill Monroe. It's great.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-24-2008, 3:10am
''Bill Monroe - Father of Bluegrass''
''High Lonesome'' - the story of Bluegrass music.
''Bluegrass Journey'' - the Grey Fox festival plus other bits & Pieces.
''Herschel Sizemore - In his own style'' - tuition DVD by one of the greatest.
'' The Mandolin of Bill Monroe'' Vols. 1 & 2 Tuition DVD's by the guy who started it all.
'' Jimmy Martin - King of Bluegrass''
''Doyle lawson - Through the years '' - performance DVD.
''Essential Techniques for Mandolin'' - Cris Thile.Tuition DVD by possibly the best Mandolin player around at the moment - but that's a matter of personal oppinion.

All the above are well worth having. The tuition ones especially,even if they seem too advanced for you at the moment. Those & the 'performance' DVD's are to me, 'inspirational' tools maybe more than anything. Watch the individual players,note how they hold their instruments,how they position their right hands when picking. Watch where they begin 'runs' on the neck - all sorts of things can be picked up just by watching.
My personal favourite is the 'Herschel Sizemore' DVD. He explains so much, he's just a super guy & along with Alan Bibey,himself an awesome player,i think he;s made one of the best tuition DVD's around - IMPO,
Saska