PDA

View Full Version : Case options for two-point mandolins

Jim MacDaniel
Jan-15-2008, 3:45pm
Seems to me an F-style case should work for a symetrical two-point mandolin (e.g., 70's Ibanez two-points), but are there any other cases out there that might work as well?

Chris Biorkman
Jan-15-2008, 3:59pm
Rolfe uses Eastman fiberglass cases for his Phoenix two pointers.

MandoBen
Jan-15-2008, 4:39pm
The 5th String has some, you could try one out and ask Cowboy Jim if he can sell it without the mandolin. I have the Eastman canvas covered type for my BRW 2-point, but the points on mine are a lot smaller than those of a Gibson 2-pointer.

mandroid
Jan-15-2008, 5:02pm
Cal's A [looking in mine] looks like one would fit.
padding turns outward at that, er, point.
'snake head' would fit in the small end best.

As I see, in photo below, It's True.

and it's Blue too. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

evanreilly
Jan-15-2008, 6:58pm
I believe that Rolfe Gerhardt now uses Eastman F-style cases to house his Phoenix mandolins.

Frank Russell
Jan-15-2008, 8:09pm
My Randy Wood 2-point fits great in my Travelite F-style.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-15-2008, 9:00pm
If you're looking for an inexpensive case look at the Breedlove mandolin cases that are sold on eBay for around $50.00 (or they were). It would fit most 2 pointers.

Check out this (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=46275;hl=breedlove+and+ case) thread for pictures.

Walter Newton
Jan-15-2008, 9:05pm
The only way to know for sure is to try the particular mando/case combo to see if it works. My Phoenix came in an Eastman case as pictured above, but it does not fit in many other F-style cases (including Travelite).

Jim MacDaniel
Jan-16-2008, 1:59pm
Evan and Walter -- I am looking at a mandolin with similar proportions to yours, but to Walter's point, I won't know for sure until I have the instrument in hand and try it in a few cases. From the pic above, it looks like the right point is pressed against the side of the case; is the padding compressed much at that, er, point?

Mike -- I like the Breedlove as well for a budget option. I know it may sound a little OCD, but I especially like it because of the symetrical padding configuration -- as opposed to padding with the F-style shape. (I guess I can ask the folks down at Gryphon if I can test the mandolin if I get it, in one of the cases that came with their Breedloves.)

Walter Newton
Jan-16-2008, 7:18pm
Quote (jimmacd @ Jan. 16 2008, 12:59)
Evan and Walter -- I am looking at a mandolin with similar proportions to yours, but to Walter's point, I won't know for sure until I have the instrument in hand and try it in a few cases. From the pic above, it looks like the right point is pressed against the side of the case; is the padding compressed much at that, er, point?

I've attached a quick photo to show the Phoenix in the Eastman case (excuse the poor photo quality, flash glare etc) - hopefully it will give you an idea of the 2 point shape fit.

Overall it fits well, it does not compress any padding - however, look at how the thickness of the padding tapers down on the right side - on the area just above the point there essentially is no padding anyway, just the very thin case shell. #Overall I think the Eastman case is just OK - it's light, compact, easy to carry with the strap attachments, and stylish (gets a lot of comments); but the shell material is quite thin (it flexes easily when the case is open, it's rigid when closed though), there's no storage compartment, and I'd like more and thicker padding.

Stephen Perry
Jan-16-2008, 7:22pm
Guardian Tweed universal.

dougjay
Jan-16-2008, 7:58pm
My new Austin Clark Two-Point (No. 22) seems comfortable in my old F-model Calton case, with room to spare.

Chris Biorkman
Jan-16-2008, 8:02pm
My new Austin Clark Two-Point (No. 22) seems comfortable in my old F-model Calton case, with room to spare.
So you are the one that picked up that Clark, how do you like it?

dougjay
Jan-16-2008, 8:08pm
I tried to upload a photo, but apparently it was just a small amount over the size limit. Here we go again:

dougjay
Jan-16-2008, 8:15pm
So you are the one that picked up that Clark, how do you like it?

I love it. #I like everything about it. #Funny thing, I was never drawn to two-points much at all, until I saw this one.

Chris Biorkman
Jan-16-2008, 8:27pm
It's a looker for sure.

Salty Dog
Jan-18-2008, 12:30am
I once owned an Ibanez 2-point that I bought in the '70s, and also bought the Ibanez hard shell rectangular 2 point case which was shaped inside specifically for the 2-point mandolin. #I recall paying about the same for the case as the mandolin as hard shell cases were relatively expensive back then. #I sold the mandolin and case to an Ibanez collector who was more interested in the case than the mandolin.

Lane Pryce
Jan-18-2008, 6:20pm
Those Breedlove cases make mighty fine two pointer mobile homes. Lp