PDA

View Full Version : Silverangel  fantasma

kyken
Jan-14-2008, 11:59am
This is the latest from my shop. I call it El Fantasma. I'll post some shots with the finish before I go to SPBGMA with it in a couple of weeks. Thanks...........

kyken
Jan-14-2008, 12:00pm
any suggestions for colors?

kyken
Jan-14-2008, 12:02pm
it has a rich deep woody tone, German spruce.

Tom C
Jan-14-2008, 12:02pm
Nice

kyken
Jan-14-2008, 12:03pm
another..........

kyken
Jan-14-2008, 12:04pm
last one for now, headstock...........

Bill Snyder
Jan-14-2008, 12:13pm
Blond. I don't know that you will improve on the looks of that mandolin by coloring it.
EDIT. Maybe add a bit of amber to the back and sides.

Don Christy
Jan-14-2008, 12:15pm
I agree. That's a beauty in blonde Ken.

Is this going to become a standard model Ken?
Don
PS: Still loving my SA.

kyken
Jan-14-2008, 12:40pm
Well, it's a prototype, and with that comes alot of tooling up, molds etc, so, yes, It will be a standard model from now on. thanks. I'm thinking light amber top, and slightly darker sides and back.

Nathan Kellstadt
Jan-14-2008, 12:48pm
Ken, Is that some sort of double arm rest, or is that just a stand it's setting in? Also, could we get a better look at the tailpiece?

The whole thing looks very cool, I really dig asymmetrical 2 points.

Tom C
Jan-14-2008, 1:08pm
I think the color of this Bacon would look nice. Oh yeah, don't forget the distressing.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/uploads/post-27-25921-baconart_204_ft.jpg

Bill Snyder
Jan-14-2008, 1:20pm
Ken, Is that some sort of double arm rest, or is that just a stand it's setting in? Also, could we get a better look at the tailpiece?

The whole thing looks very cool, I really dig asymmetrical 2 points.
As mentioned in another thread this is a four point. What you are mistaking for a stand is where there is NO mandolin. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

JEStanek
Jan-14-2008, 1:32pm
I like the Bacon color above too. But I think the f-holes would get lost on a burst that dark... I would suggest you take a page from the Brentrupp and Rigel book on a cool-o jazz box like that and get off into other color schemes. At the very least I would photoshop some other colors in to see how it looks.

I mean, that is not your dadd's bluegrass mandolin, why color it like one, too (unless that's what the customer wants!).

Jamie

kyken
Jan-14-2008, 2:10pm
The mandolin is hanging by a fishline with a black background. Those indentations at the bottom are the way the mandolin is designed. I like the color of the Bacon, but I want the soundholes to show up well, and I'm afraid if it's too dark, they won't be visible.

Tom C
Jan-14-2008, 2:29pm
Ken,
Have you ever build an oval hole mando?

kyken
Jan-14-2008, 3:20pm
Yea Tom, I've built several, don't really care for the sound too much though.........

Sergio Saldivar
Jan-14-2008, 3:30pm
Awesome! Rigel made a custom yellow "Palomino" finish that would look great on that mando.

Trip
Jan-14-2008, 3:41pm
Nice design....very refined......I agree with the very light amber top and a darker amber sides and back and maybe a little burst on the back will show off the design.... more than a dark edge burst will

Mark Walker
Jan-14-2008, 3:43pm
'Fantasma' means 'ghost' or 'phantom' so I think it would look better with a lighter color, and no burst. But maybe a dark color with light-colored binding on the soundholes...? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

wildpikr
Jan-14-2008, 3:51pm
Ken,

Looks like another winner!

Así parece que es hora de ahorrar por otra mandolina...

Grassman
Jan-15-2008, 3:04am
Beautiful mandolin! Love your take on the style. It's gorgeous.

james condino
Jan-15-2008, 4:40am
Ken:

The new model looks great. It is refreshing to see folks producing new designs. Keep up the good work!

j.
www.condino.com

Ted Eschliman
Jan-15-2008, 6:37am
Inspiring! I like the idea of the dark "classic" sunburst mentioned, too.

billhay4
Jan-15-2008, 11:17am
What about a white milk paint finish?
Bill

Mark Walker
Jan-15-2008, 11:20am
What about a white milk paint finish?
Bill
Oh - like those 'albino' Gibson A-3's (http://www.vintagemandolin.com/22gibsona3_xx640fon11578.html) from the 20's? #That would be an interesting look from the 'ghost' perspective!

billhay4
Jan-15-2008, 11:31am
Yeah, but with a transparent finish to show off the beautiful wood. Hans did a black one recently. Why not a white one?
Bill

Ken Olmstead
Jan-15-2008, 12:22pm
I will vote for blond. The mando has beautiful lines and really stands on its own. Also, colors are generally harder to sell as a spec. Ken do you have any idea how much you are going to charge for that model? I think it is stunning visually and if it has a the sound quality of your other mandos of late...its a winner!!

kyken
Jan-15-2008, 1:37pm
I'm thinking that a white or even a silver mandolin would fit this model very well. Silverish grey to a transparent white burst. PM me for a price.
thanks.........

bgmando
Jan-15-2008, 3:18pm
I like it as a blonde, too.

Ken's a very creative artist in all regards. So it seems natural to me that he would do one in modernistic style.

But he also knows how to build with tone. It's going to be interesting to see what comes out of that shop in the next decade.
Bias ackknowledgement -- I own Silver Angel No. 243.

Skip Kelley
Jan-15-2008, 8:57pm
Ken, A mandolin that cool will look great any color it is stained! Awesome work!!

Mark Walker
Jan-18-2008, 9:06am
Ken, A mandolin that cool will look great any color it is stained! Awesome work!!
Skip - I'd struggle with PURPLE (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=18372;hl=kentuckyken)! #Ken craft that mandolin a few years back and the client wanted it done in purple. #I just can't see the Fantasma in THAT color! (Though he did a great job making it purple!)

But I am looking forward to whatever Ken comes up with. #As an artist, he sure knows his way around the color spectrum, and tranfers it wonderfully to his instruments. #I love the finish colors (and painting) on mine!

fredfrank
Jan-18-2008, 4:39pm
Actually, I think the F-holes would show up fine with a dark finish. After all, the unfinished wood of the back would be showing through them.

Mark Walker
Jan-18-2008, 5:25pm
Actually, I think the F-holes would show up fine with a dark finish. After all, the unfinished wood of the back would be showing through them.
Good point - hadn't thought about that aspect. You can bet that'll look sharp in several color schemes!

Hans
Jan-19-2008, 10:28am
I like it Ken...glad to see others stepping out of the F5 box! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

kyken
Jan-19-2008, 11:53am
here's the colors I've chosen. I know, too many refections, but I'll take some better ones when I get it all done. It's a cream top with dark sunburst back etc.

kyken
Jan-19-2008, 11:54am
the back..........

Mark Walker
Jan-20-2008, 8:00am
I think you're on to something there Ken! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

tortuga
Jan-20-2008, 9:16am
I think it looks absolutely awesome just the way it is. Maybe you could post a performance for us - the ability to hear the tone would be wonderful. Thanks http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

kyken
Jan-25-2008, 4:58pm
here's the finished Fantasma.........

kyken
Jan-25-2008, 5:00pm
The sound is really wonderful with that German top. It's deep and so rich on all the strings.

kyken
Jan-25-2008, 5:01pm
headstock..........

kyken
Jan-25-2008, 5:02pm
the back..........

kyken
Jan-25-2008, 5:03pm
top again..........

kyken
Jan-25-2008, 5:04pm
top..........

kyken
Jan-25-2008, 5:14pm
Here's the SPBGMA crop minus a possible A-style........

JEStanek
Jan-25-2008, 5:25pm
Very nice, Ken.

Jamie

Mark Walker
Jan-25-2008, 5:55pm
I think that Fantasma is going to be a big hit. #Does it have the expected Silver Angel 'bark' - deep and woody? #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

My wife and I were thinking of heading down to that, but our group has a schedule conflict with a gig now.

Good luck Ken & Laura!

kyken
Jan-25-2008, 6:26pm
I really like the tone that this Fantasma has. I used a different configuration on the bars inside among other things. The tone is deep, woody and unexpected with a meaty sound on all the strings and up the neck. It's only a few hours old, but I really can't believe how it sounds, and it plays easy. There is a few things that I may do different on the next one, mainly considering the color. I think a pale yellow would look good for the whole mandolin with tortoise binding. I love the German spruce. Good thing, I have at least 100 tops. Thanks............

Skip Kelley
Jan-25-2008, 8:38pm
Ken, That mandolin looks great! Nice looking group of mandolins for SPBGMA!

chip
Jan-25-2008, 8:50pm
Very nice! How much is one of those puppies?

Mark Walker
Jan-26-2008, 8:52am
I hope someone among the Cafe' members gets a chance to check those beauties out at SPBGMA this coming week and report back!

Ken, you've always made some great mandolins (I know, I'm slightly biased) and I really think you're going to have a 'niche' following with the Fantasma! If Julie and I could make it down to SPBGMA, we would - but can't. So we're hoping for input from others! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

kyken
Jan-26-2008, 9:48am
Sorry that you can't be there Mark. We could go out for Mexican food again. I could teach you some Spanish maybe. Man, that Fantasma has a sound. Anyone interested to know the price of these should PM me I guess. Not sure it's right to talk about that right here.
thanks to all for the comments. Hope to see some of you at SPBGMA..........

kyken
Jan-26-2008, 12:06pm
here's a brighter shot of the crop.....

Mark Walker
Jan-27-2008, 1:17pm
Thanks Ken. You'll have to meet our daughter; she speaks fluent Spanish and volunteers teaching English as a second language. She and Laura could probably chat up a storm. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

We sure enjoyed lunch with you at your favorite Mexican restaurant. We'll meander down your way again and visit soon.

Good luck at SPBGMA with your beauties. I still maintain this new mandolin will be a hit; I think you and Hans Brentrup have a couple of cool 'out of the box' winners with your Fantasma and his Stealth!

- Mark

Jim MacDaniel
Jan-27-2008, 6:07pm
Nice design Ken, and I think it would work nicely as a black-top.

However, to compliment its exciting, non-standard shape, an exciting non-standard color would be a blast, such as some sort of yellow, red, or red-burst -- or maybe even a combination of all three, in the form of a tequila sunrise burst. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

kyken
Jan-27-2008, 8:08pm
Thanks, I'm thinking a yellow, since that's my favorite color. The next one is in the works now.

clineon
Jan-28-2008, 6:17pm
Went over to kenny's house yesterday and was able to see the famous fantasma!
Looked beautiful at first glance but even better when in hand, seems pefectly balanced from top to bottom...simple,beautiful,design and what a sound! Loud even with the slightest strum. I love the whole design and layout! With a few more color schemes and stains, this will really be a hit! I'm Also proud owner of an awesome two point angel #151 and what can I say, well i guess thanks wouldn't be even close for that one but, Thanks KENNY!

Mark Walker
Jan-28-2008, 6:31pm
Clineon - thanks for the report. I agree with you - I think he'll have a winner. He'll refine them further as he crafts a few more, but sounds like he used a lot of his luthier knowledge in this new creation!

Mark Walker
Feb-05-2008, 10:49am
So - did anyone get a chance to see and play this baby at SPBGMA last weekend? Any reports on it?

Satchel
Feb-08-2008, 3:18pm
I was wondering the same thing....I think that we will be seeing a lot more of these from Ken.