PDA

View Full Version : Keb Mo

jamman
Jun-11-2004, 2:11pm
Caught him and his band the last night and was blown away. A polished blues act that still maintains soul and grit. To top off his voice and music, there was a decent amount of mando being played by his keys/harp guy, and Keb even picked on an F9 for a tune.

A different type of blues, but genuine blues all he same.

hellindc
Jun-12-2004, 11:04am
I was just lookin' through the used bin of my local music shop and discovere Keb Mo. Not much mando on the recording, but I fully agree on the musicianship.

I wonder why mando isn't more prominant in blues. Yank Rachel is about the only old-time blues artist who specialized and is know -- at least as far as I know (which is not much).

ira
Jun-12-2004, 12:40pm
good question. bit by bit, my folkie, acoustic rock type duo is sliding into blues more and more (last night we played 6 blues songs -original and covers- out of 16 songs in total). the mando is perfect. i play blues harp as well, and the licks, timing are quite similar due to the tonal range of both instruments. the use of double stops slides and slurs creates a harp type quality as does the tremolo when used in creative ways.
i too wonder why more mando blues isn't available.

ShaneJ
Jun-13-2004, 6:30pm
Keb Mo's "Hand It Over" is one of my favorite songs. No mando though on the recording.

mad dawg
Jun-14-2004, 9:17am
Keb Mo is awesome; I have never seen him live (I hardly ever see anyone live anymore http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif ), but I have been a fan of his for years. He's an all-around excellent writer, singer, and musician.

duuuude
Jun-14-2004, 3:13pm
Saw Keb at Strawberry & wasn't all that impressed with what little he played on mando, but his kb played could fairly rip it up. Don't know how much Keb actually plays on mando but would like to hear him take it farther. A little more delta & a little less Chicago!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

earthsave
Jun-15-2004, 2:12pm
He's just a great entertainer. It's hard not to like the guy. He comes across as very personable and down to earth. Great songwriter, blues player, and singer.