PDA

View Full Version : Designed a new tailpiece.

Keith Newell
Jan-10-2008, 10:32pm
This is going to be a standard with all snakehead model A or F models I make. The front profile matches whats on the headstock. Sorry I thought I wiped all the fingerprints off it but seems I didn't.
Keith Newell
http://www.newellmandolin.com

Keith Newell
Jan-10-2008, 10:33pm
The tailpiece is made from 304 stainless steel and uses my "N" logo on it.
Keith

Keith Newell
Jan-10-2008, 10:35pm
I the posts could be a bit shorter but not sure if I will change them. What do you think?
Keith

JEStanek
Jan-10-2008, 10:46pm
Keith,
It's nice looking. I also feel the posts are maybe 1/4 - 1/3 too long, from the photos it looks like it would be a tight squeeze to get the 1st G string on next to the edge. Will having the loops so far forward on the body prevent wrapped flatwound strings (like TIs or JazzMando JM11s from having the silk windings on the peghead? Also, can you show a photo from the side to see how it is elevated from the top, please?

Jamie

Keith Newell
Jan-10-2008, 10:47pm
Here is the peghead profile.
Keith

Keith Newell
Jan-10-2008, 10:54pm
Here is a side view, sorry it's blurry but I did not feel like getting the instrument out again. I think I agree on the posts.
The position of the strings really is not much different then a stansard tailpiece.
Can somebody give me a measurement on TI's or JM11's from loop to the start of the silk windings?
Thanks so much,
Keith

Keith Newell
Jan-10-2008, 10:56pm
Ack it didn't post...here.

thistle3585
Jan-10-2008, 11:08pm
I like it. Very simple and elegant looking. I'd buy one in a heartbeat to put on one of my instruments. Of all your designs I really like this one. Good job. Will you make them to sell without your logo on it?

Keith Newell
Jan-10-2008, 11:13pm
Yes I could make them without a logo. After thinking about it if anybody had a leading edge shape (mine is the Snakehead I build) That wanted a few of these I could make it if they traced their peghead and either scanned it or mailed me the tracing. Just rambling thoughts here but it's a thought.
Keith

littledonnie
Jan-16-2008, 9:53am
I really like the design of your tailpiece. I am in the process of building my first mandolin. It's going to be a flat top and I like the idea of a hand made tailpiece to go with it. What type of metal did you use, how did you bend it, and what thickness? sorry for all the questions, I'm starting this project with little more than a felled tree and a few hand tools. (and the silly notion that I and my ten thumbs cam acually build a mandolin).
Thanks to you and all the builders. I'm sure there will be more questions in the weeks to come.
Don

AlanN
Jan-16-2008, 10:03am
I like it too, kind of reminds me of one of them African finger pianos http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Kevin K
Jan-16-2008, 10:38am
Good job. Nice clean work.
There might be a concern of the length if used on other mandolins as I see some tailpieces that are long that end up touching the top of the mandolin.

Keith Newell
Jan-16-2008, 1:48pm
I agree the length if too long can be an issue but this one is the same length as a standard tailpiece and has the same mounting hole pattern. It is from 304 stainless steel and is .075" thick.
Keith

Kevin K
Jan-16-2008, 2:00pm
Do you have any cork or leather underneath the leading edge? Price?

MikeB
Jan-16-2008, 2:27pm
Looks pretty nice to me. The length might be the same as a 'standard' TP (whatever that is) but the posts where the strings attach are definitely forward of the standard TPs. How about trying one that mimics the shape of your headstock, say, from the top two tuners and up? That would make it shorter, overall, and move the string loop points back. Mimicking the HS would make the sides straighter and avoid what Jamie pointed out, that tight spot on the outside two string pegs. Just suggestions! Looks like a good solid idea there! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Bruce Evans
Jan-16-2008, 3:38pm
Somebody asked me where I got my tailpiece and for the life of me I couldn't remember. Is it one of yours?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/tocotodo/daylilypresentation019.jpg

Keith Newell
Jan-16-2008, 3:56pm
Yeah its one of mine http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif There is no need of moving the strings back since I already make about 5 models with that already. I was designing this one kind of like the old tailpieces you would find on old Gibson archtop guitars (or other brands) where there are two connection points and then the mounting of the strings is suspeneded a bit farther forward. Yes, a leather strip under the leading edge does stop any string harmonics going on.
Keith

JHo
Jan-16-2008, 4:13pm
I might lean toward shortening the pegs slightly as someone else mentioned, for a little extra clearance out toward the edges when restringing. Otherwise though, I really like the simplicity of design and functionality. Nice work indeed and very aesthetically pleasing.

I do like your original style too though, as shown in your avatar, which is on your #37 A style that I now own, an awesome instrument by the way, I couldn't be happier.

Lane Pryce
Jan-21-2008, 5:49pm
Classy. Lp