PDA

View Full Version : 121 Favorite Irish Session Tunes

GBG
Jun-11-2004, 10:29am
I apoligize if this has already been covered, but what is your opinion on these CD's as a representation of Irish Traditional Music and as an effective learning aid for mandolin?

plunkett5
Jun-11-2004, 9:58pm
I have great regard for L.E. as a musician, but if it is the same book/cassette set with the same title available about 10 years ago I found it pretty useless as I thought it was completely without any feel, almost like a midi track. Also, if you're going to play in sessions, you might as well learn the versions that people play in your area. Because of this, I found it much more useful to tape real sessions and transcribe the tunes. If that's more work than you're looking for, get a few CDs by great players, listen 'til you know 'em and look up the notes or ABCs at http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/FindTune.html
(one of the greatest sites on the net).
Listen and listen and listen.
I'd recomend Mick Moloney's Strings Attached CD for mando and the Na Connery's 2 CDs for general session feel and great tune selection. It's a pile of work...never ends...great fun.- Good Luck

harmon
Jun-12-2004, 9:25am
The new CD version is a much better tool than the older tapes. Their is a backing track on each cut making it easier to play along with. I already know most of the tunes and find the cd useful for warming up or learning a new tune.

steve V. johnson
Jun-12-2004, 1:21pm
I haven't listened to it in a while, but I used to use it a lot. I haven't heard the cassette version, but only the CD.

It's NOT like playing in session, but for a few hours of practice with the CD player on 'random play' it can be real good exercise.

BTW, I've not used it with mandolin, playing melody, but with guitar, octave mando and bouzouki, playing accompaniment.

When I could only go to one session a week, it was of great help in keeping my hand in and it has 'paid for itself' many times over.

There's nothing like playing with real folks, tho.

stv

GBG
Jun-14-2004, 7:57am
Thanks to each one of you for your helpful response. I don't get around many sessions so these CD's, and the others mentioned, may be my only way to learn some more ITM.