PDA

View Full Version : Mandola/mandolin tuning

jim_n_virginia
Jan-10-2008, 1:16am
I know a mandola is tuned CGDA

But what would happen if you tuned it to standard mandolin tuning? Would if then be tuned as an octave mandolin? Would it work and do people ever do it?

jus wondering...

trevor
Jan-10-2008, 2:55am
Jim,
It all depends on scale length, I have seen mandolas, CGDA from 16" to about 21". You can tune most mandolas (up to about 17" scale) as a mandolin with lighter than standard 'dola strings, to tune to an octave mandolin you would need heavier strings. In my experience the shortest scale that works for octave mandolin tuning is about 19". Unless anybody has tried shorter?

Steve Baker
Jan-10-2008, 9:32am
Last year at Zoukfest I had the pleasure of sitting in on a class with Roger Landes and Luke Plumb. They each had put lighter strings on a mandola and tuned it to FCGC. They then played with a capo at the second fret to yield GDAD. It was a really nice sound.

I've been playimg my mandola tuned up one step to DAEA. That makes playing in D, G, and A a lot easier.

Steve
Fylde mandola
McDonald Type 3 bouzouki/GOM

Eugene
Jan-10-2008, 9:59am
Another name, the original name, for octave mandolin was mandola: G-d-a-e'.

Red Henry
Jan-10-2008, 11:10am
Speaking of this, I've seen a couple of Gibson H-model mandolas which people tuned, and played as mandolins. Both were in Florida. One was an H-1 which didn't have any trouble staying together, but one was an H-2 which had the neck joint coming out.

(That was lucky for me. I traded for that instrument pretty reasonable, and reset the neck. My Avatar seems to be holding it in the picture.)

Red.

sgarrity
Jan-10-2008, 11:19am
I've thought about this too but sold my mandola before I ever tried it. I understand that this is what Mike compton did on the Stomp cd. They used Grismans 17" scale (I think) Gilchrist mandola and strung it to be played GDAE like a true octave mando. Sounds great on that recording. I'd love to know the particulars on the string gauges and set-up.

mandroid
Jan-10-2008, 3:00pm
I, on some, shift the whole set of 5ths down ,
FCGD on one or 2 mandos
15" 5 string electric i'm in Bb F C G D
14" 4 string electrics in CGDA, [the cure for a weak E string in a Magnetic pickup output]