PDA

View Full Version : Oil finish

The Non-Sequiteers
Jan-09-2008, 7:01pm
Is an oil finish advisable on a mandolin? I Love the feel and look of oil finishes. I also have a feeling that an oil finish would give a warmer tone (I have nothing to base that on, just a feeling). I know that oil finishes are more work to maintain but that isnt an issue. What do you think? Does anyone have any experiance?

billhay4
Jan-09-2008, 8:03pm
I use Tru Oil, a gunstock finish, and find it to be good.
Not quite the same as Watco, but not far different.
Bill

Bill Snyder
Jan-09-2008, 8:11pm
Many of the varnishes used are oil varnishes. I have no idea if instruments finished with oil have a warmer tone or not. I do know that some luthiers charge a premium for their varnished instruments.

Dave Cohen
Jan-09-2008, 8:45pm
"Oil varnishes" like Behlen's Rockhard, Pratt & Lambert #38, Tru-oil, etc., are used for instrument finishes. They are called "short oil" varnishes. Wiping "oil finishes" like Watco, Minwax Antique Oil, Behlen's Master Gel, etc., are usually not used for instruments. They penetrate below the wood surface to a greater extent, don't make a hard film or build fast, and consequently have greater tendency to damp vibration. Conventional wisdom is that these "long oil" varnishes ruin tone. Even with short oil varnishes, one needs to seal the surface prior to applying the varnish in order to prevent too much penetration.

DougC
Jan-09-2008, 9:42pm
Oil varnishes take longer to dry. But you are right, it is a real nice look and feel. Some folks say that the wood can vibrate more with oil. Some say hard varnishes stiffen the wood - for better or worse. I have a Collings MT with a gloss front and mat sides and back and I wonder if that has any effect at all. All I do know is that they are able to paint a 'sunburst' halo around the thing and cover up the wood grain.