PDA

View Full Version : This could be thin ice

ironscot
Jun-11-2004, 12:52am
I might be getting out of line here, and if I am then please let me know. I used to haunt these quarters a few years ago, but lots has happened in the mean time. I'm not wanting to start a whole ballyhoo, but I've got a grievance that I can't seem to get addresed and you folks are the ones that might be able to help me.

Three or so years ago I bought a Johnson MA-550 octave mandolin from Folk of the Wood and was tickled stupid with it. Sounded pretty nice and was well put together. In the intervening time I got hooked up with a top shelf mando teacher and decided that I was gonna get serious about playing the little dude. I called up the forementioned outfit and began discussions about trading up a bit. In the several calls I made I talked with dang near everyone there including Mickey himself. Initially I tried the Phoenix Bluegrass but it didn't really come across like what I was wanting. I ended up with a Breedlove Alpine which I have no complaints at all with. It is a beautiful instrument and sings way better than I can pick it for.

The problem that I have is that I can't get them to give me credit for the octave that I sent back in excellent condition or the difference of the Phoenix less a pickup install on the Breedlove. I've been trying to get this resolved since November of last year and nobody there can get me any kind of satisfaction. I've called Shelly at least half a dozen times and left messages but she won't call me back. I've spoken with Trad and James, admittedly Trad said he couldn't help me, but James told me any number of times that the credit would be done that very day.

Life is too short to have these kinds of hassles, and I don't go looking for trouble, but seven hundred dollars give or take a couple isn't something that I can just leave on the table. Anyone else have similar dealings with them, and how did you reach a resolution?

If you think I'm just out casting for trouble you can reach me at my e-mail and I'll give you my cell phone number by that method if you want to talk about it and verify that I'm not just casting junk. Trouble is too easy to find, fair deals don't seem so.

the_ironscot@hotmail.com

Pick like yer life counts on it!

John Bertotti
Jun-11-2004, 8:48am
I use prepaid legal. A letter and or call from a lawyer goes a long ways if done tactfully. John

BenE
Jun-11-2004, 10:17am
It is sort of troubling how many times these threads pop up about FOTW...

Good Luck...

mandofiddle
Jun-11-2004, 10:23am
Similar thing happened to me about 2 years ago. I won't go into details, but it took over 6 months to resolve, all the while I was paying interest on my credit card on which the item was charged. I'll never do business with them again...

BenE
Jun-11-2004, 10:41am
Similar thing happened to me about 2 years ago. I won't go into details, but it took over 6 months to resolve, all the while I was paying interest on my credit card on which the item was charged. I'll never do business with them again...

Hah....Same thing to me about 3 years ago as well....Took about two months to get my refund after trading in a mandolin.

Greenmando
Jun-11-2004, 11:02am
I read once they credit you after they sell it, I could be wrong.

ira
Jun-11-2004, 12:39pm
had one experience with fotw, and that was enough.

ira
Jun-11-2004, 12:40pm
had one experience with fotw, and that was enough.

Lee
Jun-11-2004, 12:54pm
Not giving credit for a trade-in until it's sold is certainly bad business.
Ironscot, I would suggest you send Mickey a letter to tell him that you're angry enough to have aired your complaint here on the Cafe. And also mention you will be reporting them to the beter Business Burea if the matter is not quickly resolved.
I bought a Phoenix Deluxe #296 from FOTW last September. Tradd handled the transaction and it was flawless. It's a gorgeous instrument. FOTW still has it listed for sale.

ironscot
Jun-14-2004, 10:06pm
Thanks for the feedback folks. Not exactly what I was wanting to hear, but that's the way it goes sometimes. I can't reach Mickey by phone now and my other calls aren't returned. I guess a visit is in order.

solerydr
Jun-14-2004, 10:29pm
I called FOTW last week to ask about a Rigel the had on theyre site. I dont know how long it had been gone but I, being to nice to hang up on Trad, spent 20 mins hearing about how thats not what I really wanted and a Breedlove was just like a Rigel. He played into the phone forever to convince me.........my Rigel got here friday and I love it.....Thanks EBAY.

ira
Jun-15-2004, 5:20am
it was amazing to me with fotw, that in the sales process all phone and emails were answered in a friendly and an indepth manner, but suddenly everyone was to busy when i had questions and concerns after the fact.

PCypert
Jun-15-2004, 9:45am
I don't have any personal complaints with them. I think you'd do yourself a favor to not buy anything from them for a while as they're moving and getting stuff sorted out. I know I can be kind of scattered sometimes in the middle of a move. Doesn't explain some of the bad dealings discussed here that happened in the past. But I think you're just asking for it while they are moving and changing phone numbers and all of that. Wait for them to update their site (there's a Rigel on there that has traded hands three times since it's left there store they still have for sale!), get settled in, etc.
Paul

Furnman
Jun-17-2004, 7:28pm
I ordered a Morgan Monroe dobro from them, and Tradd was very helpful to me over the phone as well. Everything came as ordered, no problem (and it's not like that is a high-end, high-margin instrument). I have noticed their site is quite dated of late as well, so waiting might not be such a bad idea if you really want to work with them.

levin4now
Jun-17-2004, 8:48pm
These threads DO help if one were deciding b/w FOTW, FQMS, JanetDavis, Elderly or any local store, even Sam Ash Music.