PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic disc download-"thailand"

coletrickle
Jan-06-2008, 10:46am
I just downloaded the free cut from Acoustic Disc for Sunday (1-6-07) "Thailand). I was just wondering if anyone knows what album that is from and what version of the quintet is playing on it. I was going to guess O'Conner on the violin and Marshall on the guitar but I may be way off. Thanks!

Jim Garber
Jan-06-2008, 11:28am
Quintet '80 - Warner Brothers BSK346

Tracks

Dawgma (Grisman)
Bow Wow (Grisman) *
Barkley's Bug (Grisman)
Seal Of Cortez (Grisman)
Naima (Coltrane)
Mugavero (Carlini)
Dawgmatism (Grisman)
Thailand (Grisman)
* includes an excerpt from Beethoven's Sonata in C major

Musicians
David Grisman - mandolins
Darol Anger - violin, cello, violectra, violin arrangement
Mike Marshall - guitar, mandolin, violin
Mark O'Connor - guitar, violin
Rob Wasserman - bass

http://www.deaddisc.com/imgjz/Quintet_80.jpg

coletrickle
Jan-06-2008, 11:37am
Perfet! Thanks! I'm guessing this is one of those "out of print" albums you can only get used?

mandroid
Jan-06-2008, 11:51am
same recording as what went up before 10/28/07 ?

Jim Garber
Jan-06-2008, 12:00pm
same recording as what went up before 10/28/07 ?
Yeah, he does repeat many of these. I have been downloading daily for quite some time. I think otherwise, he would have everything given away. It is a great thing in any case, Thanks, Dawg! Wonderful music.

mandolooter
Jan-06-2008, 1:17pm
Starts off sounding like Whiskey before breakfast to me, I think? At ten minutes plus plenty of time to go elsewhere! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

mandelect
Jan-06-2008, 1:25pm
I was going to guess O'Conner on the violin and Marshall on the guitar but I may be way off. Thanks!

On "Thailand" I think it's Mark on guitar & Darol on violin; Mike plays 2nd mando - other tracks vary slightly!

entau
Jan-06-2008, 2:17pm
that album was O'Connor on guitar and violin, Darol on cello and violin, Mike on mandolin and mandocello and guitar,
Rob Wasserman Bass, and of course the Dawg on mandolin - a monteleone I think was on the cover ( before he began covering up head stocks)
John Carlinni may have played guitar on one track.
I think shortly after that O'Connor left the group and Mike took up the guitar parts and they toured as the DG quartet for a while.
check out Mike's mandocello on "Bow Wow" along with Darol's cello.

Spruce
Jan-06-2008, 2:51pm
"Starts off sounding like Whiskey before breakfast to me, I think?"

Yep.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

" At ten minutes plus plenty of time to go elsewhere!"

Man, there are some great live versions floating around with "the" Quintet (Grisman, Anger, Rice, Phillips, and Amatneek) just kicking butt on "Thailand"...

Try to run down some Great American Music Hall shows from ''77 or so....

mandolooter
Jan-06-2008, 5:50pm
Thanks Bruce...and of course we've seen you in Thailand also! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Old Spruce-zanno with a banjo on his knee, lol! All my pic's from Thailand were destroyed by a typoon in the Philippines that wiped out the place I was staying. Luckily I had taken refugee in a friends house that was more solidly constructed.

jim simpson
Jan-07-2008, 8:15pm
I just burned myself a cd from my Dawg Jazz/Dawg Grass & Quintet '80 long players. They sound great on the turntable as well as (now)in the car.

mandolooter
Jan-07-2008, 8:20pm
Jim, ain't technology fun!

SternART
Jan-07-2008, 10:40pm
That is a smokin' Thailand! Spruce is right Thailand was a regularly played tune for the early Quintet. There
are even earlier versions out there pre-DGQ, from the Great American Music Band, where David played with Richard Greene.
An earlier Dawg masterwork!!!.....I dig the longer more symphonic Dawgworks.....Dawg's Rag, Dawgology, Sativa, Arabia.
These tunes have parts or sections where one or more players trade back and forth or have extended solos, the tunes kinda shift gears....
Great stuff!!! Definitely part of the soundtrack of my life.....

Tom C
Jan-08-2008, 9:09am
On that '77 Tony goes off on it. Rippin it up for about 5 minutes. It is my favorite Rice solo. plus the qulaity is so crisp.

AlanN
Jan-08-2008, 10:05am
Is there a transcription of this around? T or N, no matter. I mostly have it, just would like to check.

jasona
Jan-15-2008, 1:44pm
Another download question: I've made a playlist on my MP3 player of all Grisman tunes. On the tune Henry Brown, what mandolin is Grisman playing? It just buzzes with overtones and sounds Engelmann topped to me. Is this his Giacomel?