PDA

View Full Version : Why the big v in collings neck?

DougC
Jan-04-2008, 2:29pm
I'm new to this forum. Just got a Collings MT for Christmas. I'm an Irish fiddle player and violin repair guy. I have played guitar for many years and the first thing that I noticed about the Collings was the neck. Collings seems to have some strong opinions about design and this is just my First question...

Mandolin Cafe seems like a very nice place. Looking forward to meeting you guys online!

Doug Cole - Minneapolis

Jerry Byers
Jan-04-2008, 2:33pm
I hear this all the time and took it as gospel until I bought a Collings. I don't find the neck much different from a Gibson Fern. Now, if you're comparing it to a Weber, I could see how somebody would call it a big V.

mandroid
Jan-04-2008, 2:55pm
neck profile variety :
I have round-ish sided V on the gibby '22 As,
Picking Buddys Eastman F is a straight sided V.
D shape on A50 gets thicker tapering up to the body
But the slim D section On Lebeda Jazzica is significantly
nicer in its Profile, as is the radiused fingerboard , But It may be part of that model's features.
the BG oriented line may be different.

does Collings offer only a take it or leave it neck profile?
maybe part of the 'just like the big G' modeling.

[but I don't get to try many other instruments than the ones I have to buy to play on]
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Jonathan James
Jan-04-2008, 3:06pm
When I custom ordered a Collings MT recently, I asked them to make the neck a bit more rounded and less V-shaped. They did it without any questions/issues....

mandroid
Jan-04-2008, 3:11pm
Armed with that feedback, Perhaps Doug Cole, the original questioner,
can exchange the off the shelf one for one with the neck profile he likes better.

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-04-2008, 3:16pm
I have to say that I play my MF5 at least three hours every day. When I had a Prucha and a Weber my hand would tire. As with the Collings it feels normal and pefect after every play.

DougC
Jan-04-2008, 9:39pm
Wow what a nice set of responses...The comments from a guitar making friend about the neck relate to how the V helps position your hand, or rather your thumb very well for picking. However when a guitarist plays a chord, and I'm assuming a mandolin too, that a more rounded or even flat neck shape is prefered.
I was playing a friend's Gibson A5 and felt that it's neck shape was fine for both. The Collings takes some getting used to...
You chord playing guys, does that neck hurt? Or do you get your thumb over to one side without thinking about it?

Caleb
Jan-10-2008, 1:46am
I own a Kenucky and the V neck profile is the only thing that I don't like about it. In fact, I dislike it so much that I'm considering reshaping it and taking it to more of an oval feel. This is my first mandolin and I didn't know the V neck would be an issue. Not a fan of the V neck here.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Ken Feil
Jan-10-2008, 2:11am
I had to limit my playing due to arthritis in my left hand. I tried a Collings at a music store and to my suprise no arhritus issues. I now own a Collings MT-2 and am back playing without pain. I'm guessing its due to the V-neck.

Ken

DougC
Jan-10-2008, 10:35am
For what it is worth... I am getting used to the V neck after kind of hating it. I got the Collings just two weeks ago. Seeing that some can play it for hours and not have hand strain problems I'm gonna hold off on my negative first impression. I wish Collings were here to defend his decision!

sgarrity
Jan-10-2008, 10:40am
I think you;ll find a lot of people like the v-shaped necks. Personally, I think Collings necks are extremely consistent and very comfortable. I don't like beefy necks. My Brentrup has a stout neck on it and it's definitely taking some getting used to. But after a few weeks my hand is adjusting.

Mando Medic
Jan-12-2008, 11:30am
Doug, I have an early MF5 and I reshaped the V profile to more of a D profle... It worked for me. And, by the way, as a fiddle player, the finish is not on the neck, just a coat of clear sizing and the neck feels very natural. Kenc

DougC
Jan-12-2008, 2:22pm
Violin necks have two basic profiles, maybe three if you consider a rounded D shape to be more of a C profile, and then a sort of a gradual V shape. Since the neck is much smaller it's not that much of a problem to get around with any of them. Infact, I make it a point to play on different fiddles, with and without sholder rests, to be able to play violin. Any violin. After a while some bad habits really show themselves by switching around.

The fun for me I think, is to try a number of mandolins. I don't want to mess with Mr. Colling's MT especially if I want to trade it someday. So I look forward to seeing some of these fine mandolins. Also I notice a bunch of you guys have more than one mandolin. Switching from one to the other must be fun, right?

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-12-2008, 2:30pm
Switching from one to the other must be fun, right?
Yep http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Antlurz
Jan-13-2008, 12:12am
In fact, I dislike it so much that I'm considering reshaping it and taking it to more of an oval feel.
I'd be extremely cautious about that. If you remove very much, you run a very real risk of cutting right through to the truss rod channel.

Then you would be even MORE unhappy with it.

If you are positively serious, it might be worth your time and money to take it to a veteranarian and get it x-rayed to find the exact location.

Ron