PDA

View Full Version : My latest

TomMorici
Jan-04-2008, 3:13am
This is my first of this style with a Douglass Fir Top.
It is brighter sounding and less "woody" than the spruce top builds that I normaly use on these.
I just love the sound of it!

Thanks for looking.
Tom

TomMorici
Jan-04-2008, 3:15am
The curly maple back.
Tom

JEStanek
Jan-04-2008, 8:10am
That looks really good!

Jamie

billhay4
Jan-04-2008, 11:09am
Tom
Very nice instrument!
A couple of questions if you don't mind. Where did you get the fir? Looks very nice.
Second, what is the depth of the instrument?
Thanks,
Bill Hay

mandolooter
Jan-04-2008, 3:20pm
man, thats a real beauty Tom!

Alex of the North
Jan-04-2008, 4:03pm
That's a beautiful design, I find myself really drawn to it.

B. T. Walker
Jan-04-2008, 6:06pm
Very impressive. I've always liked this style of mandolin, and now you've done flung a craving on me.

sebastiaan56
Jan-04-2008, 8:25pm
Hi Tom,

Congratulations, that is one very fine looking mandolin, what are the bindings? maple back and sides? I think the oval holes balance the look of the instrument, a bit Selmerish, very fine mate,

Sebastiaan

brunello97
Jan-04-2008, 9:38pm
Hi Tom,

I think this is a fine looking mandolin. Very nice swelling proportions and lines and exceptional looking craft. Forgive me for asking though, as the tailpiece looks a bit odd with it. (Maybe its association with another particular model.)

I'm not meaning to knit pits, because this is a beauty. Any thoughts on this? Or options?

thanks for posting!

Mick

TomMorici
Jan-04-2008, 9:51pm
Thanks to Jamie, Jeff And Brian for your kind comments.

Bill, the D fir I cut back in 1996, Larry Stamm sells D fir
on his website. The body is 1 7/8" thick at the sides and the Top and back are both radiused to a 9' dome shape. This adds about another 3/8" to center of body depth.
Thanks for your kind comment.

Sebastiaan, Thanks for your nice remarks. The binding is some mild figured hondo mahogany.

Tom

TomMorici
Jan-04-2008, 10:00pm
Mick,
Thanks for your kind words. I agree the Gibson style tailpiece just looks odd on this design. I plan on making a trapeze style one from either brass that i will have plated
or an Ebony trapeze style.

Tom