PDA

View Full Version : Rigel Demo song

Turas Mor
Jun-10-2004, 1:39pm
On Rigel's website they predominately use one melody for their sound demos (Hear the sound of a Rigel). On the Rigel Jethro demo it is noted as: Rigel Jethro - This I Know.

What a great melody. Is this a traditional song? Is it something that Mr. Mix came up with? Does anyone know what this melody is, and where it came from?

Thanks

Mike Buesseler
Jun-10-2004, 2:11pm
Turas,
I felt exactly the same way about that tune--a Peter Mix original. I wrote him and asked. We had a long, pleasant email correspondence. Great guy.

No tablature exists, as far as I know, but Peter was working on a CD. You might write Rigel and ask about it. Peter answers their email. Say hi for me....

craigtoo
Jun-10-2004, 2:45pm
I emailed Peter about it too... ! #I spent an hour figuring it out one night. #What a cool... cool rif. #He said he's still working on that disc.. can't wait to hear it!.

(Peter....we jam regularly to your melody in our local session...)

Craig

Turas Mor
Jun-11-2004, 1:58pm
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that it was an original. There is something very lilting about it. Every time I sit down to practice now I always seem to start off with the short version of that riff.

I'll certainly buy the CD.

Peter Mix
Jun-15-2004, 8:08am
Thanks folks! I really appreciate the kind comments. Now if I could just get my lazy self into the studio and finish the cd.... This I Know was written for my wife, Cynthia, and started with a lyric that I have yet to finish. The tune has about a half dozen parts and continues to develop....kinda like a relationship, dontcha think?
regards, Peter Mix

neal
Jun-15-2004, 5:06pm
Peter, get your lazy self into the studio. We all really like that tune. What was the website that you compared different mandolins? I think Darby B from Rose posted the link, but I'm too lazy to find it. That stuff was great, too.

Kekule
Jun-16-2004, 2:47pm
I was about to post the same question, but saw a topic had been started. Can anyone post the chords, etc?

Mike Buesseler
Jun-16-2004, 5:35pm
I'm hoping Peter won't mind me posting the answer he gave me to this question. #He doesn't seem to get around here too often...

# #The A section is built around A, D & E chord inversions that are
fingered thus:
A: 6th fret G-string (third finger) #2nd fret D-string (1st finger) #A & E
strings open
D: 7th fret G-string (4th finger) # 4th fret D-string (2nd finger) #A & E
strings open
E: 4th fret G-string (2nd finger) #6th fret D-string (4th finger) # 2nd fret
A-string (1st finger) #open E-string

# #I then slide those chord-shapes up to the 11th fret and play the same
line in D. There are several other sections as well. The left hand is fairly
simple, the right hand is doing most of the work. #I think of it as pattern-picking (AKA
Smoke & Mirrors), an approach I started to develop years ago as a
finger-style guitarist trying to play multiple voices on the mandolin.