PDA

View Full Version : Overtones

Jeff_Stallard
Jun-10-2004, 11:28am
I just put on some new Boston strings, and the overtones I'm getting are noticably more pronouced than with other strings. Why is this? I never thought string constuction affected overtone, just frequency...but maybe I'm wrong. Are some strings designed to bring out overtones?

Michael H Geimer
Jun-10-2004, 12:47pm
" I never thought string constuction affected overtone, just frequency ... "

Well ... the upper frequencies that we hear off the strings are better described as upper partials ... i.e. overtones.

Different material will resonate with different upper partials, and/or with different amounts of the upper partials.

Also, these partials will change as the string ages. In fact the problems we all have of being unable to tune older strings is brought on when the dissonant upper partials become more pronounced as the string becomes more and more corroded.

Short answer to your question of weather string are manufactured to accent different tones, "Yes". e.g. TI strings are know for having a lack of upper partial, giving them a pure tone with a strong emphasis on the fundamental fequency.

Any engineer types have more/better info?

- Benig

duuuude
Jun-10-2004, 2:47pm
Benig, you never cease to amaze me! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Michael H Geimer
Jun-10-2004, 3:08pm
My old band mates used to say I was quite a Benigma.

mandoanon
Jun-11-2004, 5:38am
...as the string becomes more and more corroded...
Any engineer types have more/better info?

i.e. dead skin

Bob A
Jun-11-2004, 9:54am
The diameter of the winding on the bass strings would affect the overtones produced. The ability of the string to vibrate at a given frequency can be enhanced or attenuated by the overwinding.

The design of the mandolin will also affect which tones or partials will be emphasised or suppressed.