PDA

View Full Version : Brentrup oval a model

sgarrity
Dec-28-2007, 10:27am
I'm sure this has been posted before but a few more pics can't hurt, right? I got this a little before Christmas and have been enjoying it ever since. I've owned oval holed mandos before but this is the first time I've had an oval as my primary instrument. So far I'm diggin' it!!

Steve Cantrell
Dec-28-2007, 10:32am
I'm getting pretty riled up about getting an Oval and have begun to drop some subtle hints to my Minister of Finance. Hopefully she won't kick me out. That's an awesome instrument.

NoNickel
Dec-28-2007, 10:33am
Very Nice Shaun. Of course, like you, I am a bit biased.

Mark Walker
Dec-28-2007, 10:37am
Hans sure crafts beautiful looking and sounding instruments, doesn't he? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Someday - after my (current) desire for a two-pointer, I might have to get an oval hole. (How about an oval-hole two-pointer?) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

sgarrity
Dec-28-2007, 10:49am
Another

sgarrity
Dec-28-2007, 10:51am
Peghead, Gold Waverlys with ebony buttons

sgarrity
Dec-28-2007, 10:53am
James tailpiece, between this and the Waverlys, that's some serious mandolin jewelry http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

sgarrity
Dec-28-2007, 10:54am
It's got some amazing quilt. Another board member described it as "molten lava."

sgarrity
Dec-28-2007, 10:56am
This one really shows the quilt but the other back pic is a much better representation of it's true color. It's definitely not red

sgarrity
Dec-28-2007, 10:58am
Ok, last one. This really show's Hans' attention to detail. The fit and finish is virtually flawless. I really like the tortise rosette. And the scooped fingerboard extension with the matching pickguard....pure genius!

Jim Roberts
Dec-28-2007, 11:50am
Glad you are enjoying it, Shaun. #It's a great mandolin and belongs in your hands! #Hopefully you'll bring it to Winfield next year so I can hear how it sounds after a year or so of hard-driving playing.

It was professionally set up by Leo Posch, Mandolin Cafe luthier of choice. #Leo built a new radiused saddle (the original one was flat, or straight across if you will) to compensate for the radiused fingerboard, installed a new nut and put his magical finishing touch on it and it plays like a dream now. #It's a sweetheart of a mandolin and Hans built it with a fantastic piece of German Spruce (top) that really sings.

BTW, if any of you folks ever deal with Shaun, he is first class to do business with.

Steve-o
Dec-28-2007, 1:07pm
Wow, just a gorgeous mando, Shaun. Hans is very talented. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!

Fliss
Dec-28-2007, 1:14pm
Beautiful mandolin, I love oval holes! Nice photos too, I particularly liked the photo of the rosette, it looks great.

Fliss

billhay4
Dec-28-2007, 1:25pm
Gorgeous.
I'd like to clarify one thing, though. This is an elevated fretboard instrument, right?
Bill

JeffD
Dec-28-2007, 2:33pm
Wow, a very nice instrument.

sgarrity
Dec-28-2007, 3:33pm
Thanks for all the compliments. And yes, it does have an elevated fingerboard that joins the body at the 15th fret.

Don Grieser
Dec-28-2007, 9:10pm
Beautiful, Shaun. Foots Brentrup outdid himself on that one. I imagine you're enjoying that oval tone.

Chip Booth
Dec-28-2007, 9:32pm
That rosette is amazing. Hans sure does beautiful work. Enjoy!

Chip

Chip Booth
Dec-28-2007, 9:43pm
Shaun, I couldn't help but notice your avatar could use a little sprucing up. Here's a new version of it.

Chip

Hans
Dec-29-2007, 6:12am
Shaun, I'm glad you like the instrument. I have the M21V ff-hole version that was built for Peter MIx several years ago with German/quilted bigleaf. It never fails to turn heads.

LKN2MYIS
Dec-29-2007, 8:29am
That mando just looks like it will sound great, if that makes any sense.

Chris "Bucket" Thomas
Dec-29-2007, 3:32pm
Hmmmmmmm.....

Me thinks Shaun also received a new digital camera from Santa. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif