PDA

View Full Version : F-style octave mandolins... why not?

steve V. johnson
Dec-24-2007, 1:40pm
I was just looking at the pictures of Craig Wilson's beautiful WH-5 F-style mandola in the Builders' section, and I again wondered...

Why are there so few F-style octave mandolins?

stv

allenhopkins
Dec-24-2007, 2:14pm
Michael Kelly makes one (link) (http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/octave.html), and I've seen others by independent luthiers. Don't know much about the MK's; perhaps a search for prior topics would turn something up.

The cost of adding the "Florentine" (scroll & points, plus fancy headstock) ornamentation to a carved-top OM would be substantial. F-style mandolins and mandolas are consistently and significantly more expensive than their A-style counterparts. And what you're paying for is basically esthetics rather than acoustics.

Plus, many octave mandolins aren't carved-top, but flat-top, bent-top or induced-arch (curved but not carved, as it were). And many players, especially those who favor Celtic music, prefer the look and sound of a flat-top, round-hole instrument. There's no consistent bias toward the F-style instruments, as there definitely is in bluegrass.

I love the look of Florentine model instruments, which is why I have two Gibson "F" mandolins and an Eastman "F" mandola. Dubious about the MK, however, and doubt that I'd lay out the substantial bucks needed to get someone to build me an F-style OM.

Betcha, however, that if octave mandolin started infiltrating bluegrass circles, within a short time there'd be F-style OM's around in greater numbers. The prejudice toward the classic Gibson "F" look is just so prevalent in that genre.

boatman
Dec-24-2007, 4:51pm
A year or two ago there appeared on the "classifieds" here @ the Cafe a Weber "Big Sky" octave mando (top of the line "F" style) that lasted about fifteen minutes. That leads me to believe that there is a market for such a beast. I'm sorta sorry that this boy didn't make a move on it.

entau
Dec-24-2007, 5:14pm
I think "folk of the wood" has had a few of the higher end weber F style octaves

there was a video of one being played

Darol Anger has a Monteleone F style octave

you can hear it on the duo with Mike Marshall or on his Heratage album " talk about sufferin" I think he plays it like a hammered dulcimer with pencils or something like that

some of the flat top octaves lean towards a guitarish sound
which seems to be desirable in some circles for celtic and other stuff

IMHO generally carved top instruments speak in single tones while flat tops tend to speak more chordally ( more overtone interplay)

pjlama
Dec-24-2007, 6:38pm
Here's a couple at Canyon Music in Durango, NFI.

pjlama
Dec-24-2007, 6:39pm
BTW I played them and was impressed, they're all Weber's.

pjlama
Dec-24-2007, 6:48pm
I found another shot

bradeinhorn
Dec-24-2007, 7:30pm
kinda sorta (with baby kinda sorta brotha):

Rick Banuelos
Dec-26-2007, 10:58am
FYI: the f-style on the right from the photo of Canyon Music in Durango is a very rare sight: an F-style Yellowstone Mandocello.

groveland
Dec-26-2007, 11:23am

For me, the scrollwork strikes me as heavy-handed at that size, kindof garish and overstated. Just an opinion. I guess I just don't like ornamentation at that scale. It reminds me of what scary things Miracle-Gro can do to vegetables. #Just ain't right somehow. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Skanderbeg
Dec-26-2007, 11:45am
I have an F-4 style octave mandolin made by Thomas Jessen in Mankato, Minn. with a 19 1/2 inch scale. I find it better balanced then most of the flat top OMs I have tried. I have also have played a Michael Lewis F style OM and the quality and sound can't be beat. It is obviously just personal preference and there really is just no right or wrong about the two styles.,

zoukboy
Dec-26-2007, 12:15pm
Darol Anger has a Monteleone F style octave
I think I remember him having an F style OM by Gilchrist on the first duo record he did with Mike Marshall...

rohan
Dec-26-2007, 12:31pm
Last year I test drove the Mk F style. The Mk cost about twice as much as a TC A style and do not seem to play/sound any better. The fit/finish was nothing to write home about. The Mk is heavier and might warm the lap better. If you like big curls, it qualifies.

Bertram Henze
Dec-26-2007, 2:07pm
As Allen Hopkins pointed out - it's a lot of money just just to please the eye, not the ear. Some years ago I considered getting me a Weber F-style OM, but then decided to invest in sound instead and get away with a Fylde for less than a quarter of the price.

And talking about style - there is a fine line between the beautiful and the ridiculous, and I am not sure if a pumped-up F-style mandolin would stay on the right side of this line forever in my eyes (I tend to second groveland's comment here), seeing that I normally prefer minimalistic elegance. And I would have been to be the one who likes it, because in celtic music (which I do) visual beauty is not important to other players.

So I'd go for one of those only if I could not sleep at night without it in my bed beside me (which is not the case in my case).

Bertram

Shalebot
Dec-27-2007, 6:48am

For me, the scrollwork strikes me as heavy-handed at that size, kindof garish and overstated. Just an opinion. I guess I just don't like ornamentation at that scale. It reminds me of what scary things Miracle-Gro can do to vegetables. Just ain't right somehow. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
I tend to agree. It just seems a little overwhelming to me, given the thicker and larger bodies.

That and well... they can get pretty pricey.

allenhopkins
Dec-27-2007, 11:01am
Gibson tried putting a scroll on their Style O guitars back in the 'teens. Not particularly successful, due in part to the questions of proportion raised above. Here's (http://www.vintagemandolin.com/19gibsonstyle0.html)a link to one for sale at Mandolin World HQ.