PDA

View Full Version : Travelite case

johnwalser
Feb-03-2004, 6:25pm
I wanted a case with backpack straps to take my instrument with me to festivals or when I get on the quad and hop up to the lake. Well, the Travelite arrived last night and it fits my 2 point and my "F"s perfectly. It almost feels like it vacuum seals the instrument it fits so well. Kind of like the old VW Bugs in the early 70s. It is a much better product than I was expecting and I'm tempted (but, not stupid enough) to put a mando in it and throw it off the roof to see if it's as tough as it seems. The straps seem very comfortable and all this NEW for $51 and $15 shipping on ebay.
John

AlanN
Feb-10-2004, 3:06pm
Mine just arrived at my office, and man, this thing looks gorgeous. The lid covering the inside string well is a bit tight, but that should loosen up.

My colleagues here were all interested (and clueless) about the case, I said it's for a baby guitar - half of 'em don't know mandolin from Adam.

levin4now
Feb-10-2004, 3:29pm
Well, i'm awaiting shipment of mine this week from folkmusician.com. They had the best price (except for that one on ebay now -doh!).

FUnny thing. After it was shipped, the guy from folkmusician.com mentioned in an email that they had a funny smell - he thought it was in the glue used in gluing the lining in...and thought it should go away.

I hope the thing doesn't smell. John said his didn't. How about AlanN?

Anyone else here ever ordered from folkmusician.com?

AlanM

Mando4Life
Feb-10-2004, 3:35pm
levin4now,

When I had my Calton it had a smell of glue from construction. Calton suggested leaving it open and empty for 2-3 days to get rid of the odors.

wbl

GVD
Feb-10-2004, 3:43pm
If you think you like it now just wait till you do some traveling. I've had mine for a couple of months now and couldn't be more pleased. With all the standing and waiting in lines you have to do in airports these days the light weight and straps make the Travelite a great combination.

I'm already looking forward to toting it around Winfield this year. That long walk between the the Pecan grove and the west campround is going to be a lot easier now!

I ordered mine from folkmusician.com and it cost $63 including shipping at the time. Shipping only took 2 days and arrived just as advertised. I don't remember any odor out of the ordinary but then again it seems like every new case I've had emitted some vapors until they air out a few days.

GVD

Ted Eschliman
Feb-10-2004, 3:47pm
It almost feels like it vacuum seals the instrument it fits so well.
Bet you could take it for a swim, too, John.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

AlanN
Feb-10-2004, 4:17pm
Yeah, it has a new car smell, but that'll go away. It's a fine case.

levin4now
Feb-12-2004, 3:55pm
It came in to work today! #Not as exciting as a new mando but still fun. #It seems awesome! #Very ridgid structure - looks like it's kidproof anyway. # #The zipper is a little more work than two old latches on my old case, but it isn't just going to fall open when walking either.

Oh yeah, it doesn't smell. #The guy had me worried. #(As AlanN said, just a new car smell.)

.....now only if I had a new car~!

johnwalser
Feb-12-2004, 6:10pm
I took a mando in the hot tub at the Luxor and got thrown out and Ted is never going to let go of this one little mistake I made!! The people at the hotel said it would have been better if it hadn't been elecric and pluged in to my amp. It was also a shame when the amp fell in the main pool and the fellow with the pacemaker just happened to be near where it went in. Bad luck happens to nice folks all the time.
John

AlanN
Feb-12-2004, 6:54pm
I've set the mandolin in the case and tried 'er out. It's very light, yet feels stable and firm. The headstock touches nothing but air when seated (a requirement for me) and the push points when the case is latched are 2 neck cushions and a tailpiece cushion. It's a winner.

billbo
Feb-13-2004, 8:58am
Does the "odor" result in any outgasing of the glue issues? Will this hurt a nitro finish? I ordered one from The Mountain Music Shoppe, and am going to pick it up today.

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-13-2004, 3:15pm
'Told 'ya so....... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

I love mine...and yes John...as I said a while back "It feels like it would be safe to drop kick"

jasona
Feb-14-2004, 2:52am
Which moel would you suggest for an A5? I see the rectangular would work, but there is the special A style version, and now I am undecided. My TKL puts too much stress on the bridge for my liking...

AlanN
Feb-14-2004, 7:49am
Jasona,

I would think they make an A. A well-designed feature of the TL is the fact that the only touch/push points when the lid is closed are tailpiece and neck.

levin4now
Feb-14-2004, 10:37am
I love the case. The straps seem like they will be a winner for me. Sometimes when I am carrying my guitar and mando, and guiding one or both of my young daughters into the door at church, it's quite a handful...

jasona
Feb-16-2004, 11:14am
Just went to the folkmuscian site, and the only travelite they had is for an F model--do you think it would work for an A? The A style they have listed is called "featherweight" and is rectangual--which I like for the storage space, but it seems a different beast than the travelite. Comments?

levin4now
Feb-16-2004, 2:30pm
jasona,

My A-style would not fit in this case, the body is a shade to big, and the neck is shorter, so a 1/3 of the headstock does not reach the head compartment...however, I may a funny A-style. I don't know anyone with a Levin (like mine). It is a flattop.

I suggest you wait for more responses here, but you can always email folkmusician. I had questions for em and had quick replies.

GVD
Feb-17-2004, 9:44am
jasona

When I ordered mine back in November I think they listed it for A or F styles. At any rate my custom made A has pretty much the same dimensions as a Gibson A5 and it fits perfect.

GVD

Mandobar
Feb-17-2004, 10:32am
i have 2 of the a styles, (my first rigel came in one). i love them as they are light and have losts of storage space. the only thing is they do not have the latch. only the zipper all around.

Tom C
Feb-17-2004, 10:42am
I'm kind of undecided. I do not like the fact that once you remove your mando, the case easily tips over. Like somebody stated above, the lid covering the inside string well is a bit tight. It's hard to leave your mando strap on the mando. Carrying it sure is easy. I'm not sure on the protection thing if somebody accidently kicks it while walking by if left on the floor.

AlanN
Feb-17-2004, 10:47am
<<It's hard to leave your mando strap on the mando>>

Not if you wear a roo strap <g>.

One thing, which may ease over time, is the tendency for the lid to want to drop closed when it's propped open, a mild annoyance.

jasona
Feb-17-2004, 11:37pm
jasona

When I ordered mine back in November I think they listed it for A or F styles. At any rate my custom made A has pretty much the same dimensions as a Gibson A5 and it fits perfect.

GVD
You're talking about the rectangular case? If so I love the storage space and may just have to order one!

GVD
Feb-18-2004, 3:13pm
jasona,

No I'm talking about the tear drop shaped Travelite. I can't comment on the rectangular (Featherweight?) case. The somewhat limited storage space is the only negative I can find with the Travelite. But then again it has enough room for my Intellitouch tuner, a strap, a cloth, and a whole bunch of picks. That's really all I need to carry in a case. Plus with the straps you still have 2 hands free to carry anything else you might need.

GVD

SamnSC
Feb-23-2004, 11:41pm
Hello all,
I have had a Travelite case for about 5 months. I like it, it seems to protect my mando well, but have discovered I can't trust the inner latch by itself. It is only pinned into the foam molding and can easily pull out. Consider it closed only when zippered shut.

jugband
Feb-24-2004, 12:15am
What that inner latch is best for is keeping the case closed, but leaving it un-zipped for air circulation while at home, assuming that your home has a good humidity level, and to provide a place for the key-lock.

You really wouldn't want to take it anywhere with only that latch being used, though.

I think the smell is from something in manufacture of the nylon covering, because the Trailpak gig bags (for various instruments) smell pretty much the same.

Actually, I LIKE that smell, but then I'm fond of isopropyl alcohol, strike-anywhere matches, and whatever gunpowder it is that they use in .22 cartridges. Sometimes I think I'd sit around and just shoot a .22 off into the ground for an solid hour, just for that whiff of powder smoke after each shot!

The bag/case smell, (as already mentioned) like a New Car Smell, though, and will fade out completely after a few weeks, whether you want it to or not.

levin4now
Feb-25-2004, 10:07am
I wouldn't carry the case around any where with just the latch closed, but I don't zip it up all the time either. THere is also that velcroed strap over the latch to keep things tight. In addition to the zipper, the latch, and the velcro, the two handles velcro together as well.

uncle ken
Feb-25-2004, 3:49pm
I ordered one of these from Folk Musician based on this thread. It's a fantastic case for the money but what a stench! I'm feeling dizzy from the fumes.

cbogle
Feb-25-2004, 11:44pm
I agree U.K. I just received mine today, and it smells positively dreadful; It's now laying open in my garage, airing out. Hopefully the odor will disappear in a day or two.

Nice case, though. My Flatiron fits in it beautifully!

jlyhd28
Mar-03-2004, 1:52am
OK, I'm gonna bite. I checked the folkmusician site and noted three models for F-style mandolins. I want to park my new Benson in an upgrade. Which model are y'all referring to? I did note a price reference that turned me on to the 50.00ish dollar model. Anybody using one of the others? Thanks,
john

levin4now
Mar-04-2004, 12:49pm
john,

the case we are referring to is the third in the list of mando cases on folkmusician.com.

Model number: TL-45
TRAVELITE CASE MANDOLIN F-MODEL
Code: TL-45
Travelite Case on FolkMusician.com (http://www.folkmusician.com/travfstylman.html)

jlyhd28
Mar-04-2004, 1:42pm
Alan,
Thanks for the "wite-back"post. If Darryl Wolfe is using one of these bad boys, that may be just enough endorsement for me.
john

Folkmusician.com
Mar-10-2004, 12:04am
Hello All,

I just stumbled on to this thread (noticed a lot of hits to our site).

I wanted to thank you all for the business. We really appreciate it!

I do recall commenting on the scent these put off. We sell a whole lot of these, and they rarely sit around more than a week or two. I honestly couldn’t say how long it takes for the smell to air out. Judging from your posts, it seems to go away quickly.

Travelite only makes this one F – style mandolin case.

We do have a similar case for A style mandolins:
http://www.folkmusician.com/featcasforas.html

This is the same basic construction…. Foam with a plush lining and heavy cover.
It does not look quite as nice.. no inside pockets, only a zippered closure but I would say it is just as protective as the Travelite.

Both of these are normally in stock.

Happy Pickin,

Robert
www.folkmusician.com

jasona
Mar-10-2004, 1:18am
Thanks for stopping by Robert! Tell me, does the Featherweight also prevent contact between the bridge and top? The bridge of my mando presses right against the top of my TKL case, and that has me concerned that a sharp shock would split my top!

Martin Jonas
Mar-12-2004, 10:10am
I've just bought a Kentucky KM-380s from Acoustic Music in Brighton for my mother, and they sold it with a Travelite case. It's the F-style case (looking at the Saga web site, it seems that's the only one they make), but it fits the A-style Kentucky like a glove: a precise fit everywhere except at the scroll and protrusions of the F-style. So, at least for Kentuckys, you can put either of them in the case, although I can't speak for any other makers of A-styles. As an aside, it also fits my Washburn M3-SW F-style like a glove.

I can also confirm that it *does* have a fairly strong "new car" type smell, which I hope will go away as everybody in this thread says it will.

It's a lovely case, anyway, and spectacularly good value: I paid 40 Pounds for it, and no extra shipping, as I was getting the mandolin anyway. I'm very tempted to keep the case myself and give my old A-style case that I have for my flattop to my mother. Unfortunately, the flattop will *not* fit in the Travelite case.

Martin

Folkmusician.com
Mar-16-2004, 7:27pm
Jasona,

The Featherweight case does have some clearance for the bridge. It looks like there is almost 1/4". There is a fair sized channel above the bridge. This is a very snug fitting case for an A-style.

The one thing I do not like about this case is the two foam pieces that come in contact with the top of the mandolin. They are very soft foam rubber and do compress down when the case is closed, but they do not need to be nearly as thick as they are. I would pull them off, cut about half the foam off and then glue them back on. They are wrapped in a plush lining. It would be a very simple job and not damage anything. You can see these in the picture. It is usable left as is.

I wanted to confirm that the Travelite TL-45 will not hold a standard A-style mandolin.
The Kentucky KM-380-S is a Loar-designed A-5 body style. This has the same body size as an F style. There is just no scroll.

Please do not buy one for an A-style. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif