PDA

View Full Version : Mid-mo mandola - m-16 . . . value?

scgc.om
Dec-14-2007, 1:40am
I was in the local GC equivalent today. They had just taken in trade a cute little Mid- Mo "army/navy" (Model M-16) . I was noodling around with it and something seemed odd. I measured the scale length (about 15.5") and then pulled out a tuner and sure enough, it's a mandola!

Looked in quite good nick - only a little top wear where pick guard wasn't. Very little fret wear. Virtually no dings and scratches. However, the C strings seemed HUGE - didn't really sit in (rather just on) the nut grooves. Kinda buzzy (non adjust/1 pc bridge). Is it that guys swap the C strings routinely for effect??

They had $500 tag on it - whadda ya think? If it'd been $300, I probably woulda scooped it up just for fun. I gather Mid Mo is out of bus - and somehow Big Muddy is the the replacement (??).

Any help appreciated.

billkilpatrick
Dec-14-2007, 1:55am
mike dulack made mid-missouri mandolins. due to a fire and subsequent insurance hassels, he renamed his business "big muddy." he explains here:

http://franklinguitarcompany.com/reviews.php

i've ordered an m-16 from mike but i'm beginning to wish i hadn't - simply because i don't think i'll like the deeper register. the "thick 'c'" you mention makes me nervous. i was thinking of changing the order to another of his wonderful mandolins.

Steve Baker
Dec-14-2007, 7:59am
I've played a ouple of Mid-Mo mandolas, and got noticeably better sound than from the cheapies. That price sure seems reasonable to me. The C strings are easy to change and it sounds like someone went heavier to coax out more bass than a little instument should have to produce. Will the shop throw in a set-up for the price? If you like that mandola sound this sounds like a good way join the brotherhood.

My $0.02

Steve Baker
Fylde mandola
McDonald GOM

Brad Weiss
Dec-14-2007, 8:46am
Offer 'em $400. #$500 is a bit steep, but worth it!

steve V. johnson
Dec-14-2007, 11:34am
Yep. Offer $400 ( or $350 and work up to $400... ;-) )

As Steve Baker notes, I too think the huge C strings may have been an experiment by the previous owner.
I can't imagine that Mike Dulak would send out an instrument that way.

Good luck, and enjoy,

stv

otterly2k
Dec-14-2007, 1:05pm
$500 for used is a bit steep... on the other hand, there have been many raving reviews of Mid-Mo 'dolas... so don't worry about the strings, those are easy to change, and see if you can get the price down a little... OTOH, even at $500, it's probably worth it.

scgc.om
Dec-14-2007, 1:46pm
Thanks for responses re: #Mid Mo 'dola. #

I've slept on it (figuratively . . . ) and done some Googling. #I've learned that the M-16 was their top model. The M-14 (MahogB&S/sitka top/Rosewood FB) = $795 list; # M-15 (Maple B&Ss/Engle top/rosewood FB) = $856 list; #and M-16 (some kinda Rosewood - can't recall name now, not Indian - B&S/Engle top/Ebony FB) = $916 list. #[BTW: #anybody know what discount from list Mid Mo allowed? #10% ? # 20% ? #more??].

Also found an M-14 for sale at Cotton Music for $650 with OHSC (not sure if "mine" comes with a case or not . . . . #

So, if an M-14 listed at 7/8 ths the list of an M-16, a used M-16 (not M-14) would equate to #$750 - all else being equal. #[Like my "justification math"?!!]

So it would seem that $500 used is not a ridiculous price. #I think I'm gonna go back with my tools (steel ruler, mirror and light), do some serious examining, and then perhaps some haggling. #

This little toy would be fun to mess around on - I'm kinda in the mandola game already, given my size 5 Martin tenor guitar 1927 - 1st year!). #But coming fully into the CGDA world with a true Mandola (albeit an entry-level one) might be worth $500 . . . .

Still hoping someone with actual hands-on experience with a Mid Mo Mandola will speak up.

Lastly, this photo from Folk of the Woods indicates to me that oversized C strings WAS the "factory issued standard". see Picture at

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page407.htm

thx

Brad Weiss
Dec-14-2007, 2:08pm
Oh, I do have experience. #I'm very happy with the Mid-Mo 14 I just picked up on the cafe for $400 and change. #And I think it's worth $500- but I'd offer +/- $400 and see where that gets you. #The quality of Mid-Mo is apparent - simple, but very clean, easy to play HUGE sound from a small instrument. I like an oval hole for a mandola - here is something very unconventional on a mandola: Nature Boy (http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5962241&q=hi), the intro is on the Mid-Mo, one of the choruses, too. #It's a bit tricky to figure out where a 'dola fits into the jazz and choro contexts I'm interested in, but it works- and the Mid-Mo has satisfied all 'dola cravings I could have. #Your plan makes sense -Go for it!

scgc.om
Dec-14-2007, 2:17pm
Hey Brad

I'm listening to your Nature Boy track as I respond - WOW, great cover! Is there also a mandolin in the mix? Sounds great - who needs Nat's vocal to get in the way?!

big thx!

cbarry
Dec-14-2007, 2:22pm
Okay, I have actual experience with an M-14. I'm not really a mandola player, though. I just thought it might be a good change of pace to play something in a different register. I really like mine. I had it up for sale a couple of months ago, but changed my mind and decided to keep it. Paid $400 for it about a year ago and I had a few folks interested in buying it for that price. The criticisms I've heard about these are that the scale is in the short range for mandolas and the body is not as big as some.
I've got Jazz Dola strings on mine and the sound is great. Nice and mellow.
$500 might be slightly steep, but considering it's from a store and not an individual, it's probably okay.
Chuck

Brad Weiss
Dec-14-2007, 2:22pm
Yeah, that's my Phoenix up front, with the Mid-Mo doing some fill - thanks for the kind words! Um, I'l take Mr. Cole any day, but this was fun!

scgc.om
Dec-14-2007, 2:28pm
Brad

You said: #"Yeah, that's my Phoenix up front". #Is yours a Phoenix like the one mandolirius showed us last month (or so) at General Discussions? #i.e. with lotsa abalone inlay and a wild peghead design?

http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....us;st=0 (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=48665;hl=phoenix+mando lirius;st=0)

mikeo2
Dec-14-2007, 2:35pm
I'll throw in another vote for it. Mike's mandolas are a great value and I wouldn't have a problem paying $500 for this. I've played several and for the money they are difficult to beat. I'd agree with offering $400 and I'm sure you can probably by it for no more than $450.

Brad Weiss
Dec-14-2007, 2:36pm
Nope - its this one. (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=27482;hl=europa) #A NeoClassical Europa. #NFI, but I'd jump on Rolfe's offer of the Baldassari Phoenix- a near custom build at the current price is a ridiculously good offer for an outstanding cause!!

scgc.om
Dec-14-2007, 2:54pm
You're talking about this auction, right?

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin....trieval (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=25987&exact_match=on&query=retrieval)

I see it ends in just a few hours. Certainly is a fine cause AND you indicate $2900 is a great value . . . . Be still my "MAS" beating heart . . . .

I'm off to audition the M-16 [sounds like a machine gun . . . ?!].

billkilpatrick
Dec-14-2007, 2:58pm
Yeah, that's my Phoenix up front, with the Mid-Mo doing some fill - thanks for the kind words! Um, I'l take Mr. Cole any day, but this was fun!
thanks brad - as i've already sent half-payment on a m-16 "big muddy" mandola to "big" mike" - that was (literally) music to my ears. i'd never actually heard the thing before and was thinking of changing my commission to something else.

sounds sweet. #i like the idea that it's small.

thanks alot - made up my mind now.

- bill

scgc.om
Dec-14-2007, 3:29pm
Brad

What string set do you use on your M-14? And do the C strings sit VERY high in nut string grooves?

Thanks for assist.

steve in tampa
Dec-14-2007, 3:30pm
I have a Big Muddy mandola made to spec. It is great! Using TI strings on it. 500 is not too out of line, but do haggle. It's not a Stratocaster,after all......

Martin Jonas
Dec-14-2007, 5:51pm
But coming fully into the CGDA world with a true Mandola (albeit an entry-level one) might be worth $500 . . . .
Lastly, this photo from Folk of the Woods indicates to me that oversized C strings WAS the "factory issued standard". see Picture at
I'm not so sure I'd call Mid-Mo "entry level" -- these are very nice instruments indeed and the low price is largely a reflection of the stripped-down way of making them rather than any indication of low quality or poor tone. I have a M-0 mandolin, and I've played one of their mandolas at Hobgoblin in London. Good stuff all around.

Regarding the C-string gauge, you need faily heavy strings to get to that pitch at 15.5" scale without the string being floppy. Still, if the strings don't sit properly in the nut slots, then the ones you've seen aren't the originals -- the Mid-Mo factory setups are pretty good and Mike wouldn't have let it out the door with mismatched strings and slots. For comparison, I have a 15" mandola (a guitar-shaped archtop with f-holes) and I had to go up to 0.056" to get a workable C!

Martin

scgc.om
Dec-14-2007, 7:55pm
I did jump - got 'em down to $450 (with extra string sets, a Planet Waves string winder, and an HS case). It'd only just hit the floor a coupla days ago, and so they were less willing to negotiate. [I'd played the thing in the Acoustic Room for a long time, so maybe they were just happy to get me out of the store . . . !!]

So I'll be sitting on the sofa tonight with my new (to me) M-16 - still sounds like I'm packin' serious HEAT with an M-16 ! More to report in a few days.

Thanks to all here who gave me a push! My 1st Army/Navy and my 1st Mandola . . . ! Nothing else req'd for xMas . . . .

catmandu2
Dec-14-2007, 9:39pm
Nice work. I'm on the lookout for one of those myself. i also have an M-O and enjoy it.

Brad Weiss
Dec-14-2007, 9:51pm
Good job! Pics please- clips, when you can!

With a case, and the appointments of the M-16, you got a VERY good deal.

steve V. johnson
Dec-14-2007, 11:49pm
Congratulations, a good buy!

Great advice here, too, a whole array of experiences.

Thanks to all!

The hardshell case with it is nice. Well done, and enjoy,

stv

billkilpatrick
Dec-15-2007, 2:03am
well done - tante bene cose (as they say) and a long life to you both.

bratsche
Dec-16-2007, 3:42pm
Congratulations - I have an M-16, and wouldn't give it up!

bratsche