PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bought an ebay mando by antonietsai?

racer122
Dec-12-2007, 1:32pm
This guy, Antonietsai, seems to make some really beautiful inlaid mandolins. I'm not really interested in buying one, but he makes does some really detailed inlay that would make a really nice wallhanger.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering if anyone has actually played one of them?

(Here is an auction link -- no interest on my part, just showing the item...)

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/F-STYLE-MANDOLIN-DETAILED-INLAY-ANTONIETSAI-GREAT-GIFT_W0QQitemZ120197359808QQihZ002QQcate
goryZ10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Ebay link</a>

JHo
Dec-12-2007, 1:45pm
There have been a number of threads about them. I think you hit the nail right on the head, as what I gather from the previous threads is that they're better suited to being wall art than to really being instruments for players.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-12-2007, 1:54pm
Take a look through these (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=Search&CODE=02&SID=47602d95464a9b7d) threads. There is plenty of information there. Scan the subject lines first.

allenhopkins
Dec-12-2007, 2:31pm
A subject of extended discussion in the past. Spend some time following Mike's links and reading before you spend your money. There are some who have bought them and, after doing a bit of set up and parts replacement, have been quite satisfied. Othere have seen them as more decor than playable instruments.

Caveat emptor, do your research, don't expect miracles; if it sounds too good to be true...

jerchap
Dec-12-2007, 2:34pm
Bruce Wei mandos are in the same category, just posted my experience with them on that thread.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-12-2007, 2:38pm
They actually show up in the same link listed above.

racer122
Dec-13-2007, 10:24am
Very strange. I guess my search-fu doesn't work very well on this forum, because I searched and found nothing.

Honestly, I'm not even thinking of buying one ... I actually was looking at some of the cast brass bridges he also sells, and got curious.

Thanks for the link.

Docmarc
Dec-13-2007, 2:57pm
...as Allen notes..Caveat emptor, do your research, don't expect miracles; if it sounds too good to be true...

I bought a 'Wei' only because he was willing to sell it for $200+$60 shipping...the risk seemed small and wall art was always an option...

...it came to me almost unplayable - strings poorly spaced and too high, bridge out of place, strings with real rust on them and a broken tuner peg...an hour recutting and fitting the nut, refitting the bridge, new strings and using a pliers to tune with the broken tuner made a surprising difference...

...Wei sent me, at his entire expense, a new tuner bank that fit fine and works OK...

...when all is said and done, this is a pretty good sounding mandolin that 'out-tones' many of the more popular Pacrim mandolins I've played at 2 or 3 times the price...

...my motive in the thread of several months ago was to let a player on a limited budget know that there was at least one more alternative that could be explored...

For what it's worth, the mandolin has proven to be very stable...no funny cracks or popped inlays (maybe it's the .125 of lacquer that it was dipped in (:laugh: )...

Finally, my experience with Bruce Wei has been outstanding...he writes in comfortable English and his emails suggested a genuine concern for making sure I was happy...I've been ripped off far worse by Ebay sellers in the U.S...

Paul Hostetter
Dec-17-2007, 11:40am
Racer -

Doing searches can be a little tricky, but the devil is in the details. The searches work best if the spelling is correct. Your thread here won't appear in subsequent searches because you misspelled Antoniotsai.