PDA

View Full Version : New collings mt blacktop

Jonathan James
Dec-11-2007, 10:43am
Just got this from Greg Boyd's shop: a custom Collings MT blacktop with wider nut option (1-3/16), a one-piece back, white binding on top, and a more rounded neck profile. I also added upgraded tuners with pearl buttons and a brass strap button from Lynn D. I call it my Poor Man's Tim O'Brien model...

Jonathan James
Dec-11-2007, 10:44am
shot of the nice back Collings picked out for me (only 1 in 50 MT's have a one-piece back)...

Jonathan James
Dec-11-2007, 10:45am
Love the simple headstock design...

Jonathan James
Dec-11-2007, 10:46am
Rear of headstock

Kevin Briggs
Dec-11-2007, 10:46am
Nice one-piece. Why'd you go for that?

Jonathan James
Dec-11-2007, 10:47am
Nice strap button from Dude...

Jonathan James
Dec-11-2007, 10:48am
Just liked the look of the one-piece and Collings was able to find it and do that for no extra charge! Great customer service...

sgarrity
Dec-11-2007, 10:54am
That is one killer looking MT

Jonathan James
Dec-11-2007, 10:58am
Thanks. Still sounds really tight, but you get subtle hints about how great it will sound as it opens up. Can still smell the glue, it's so new!

bradeinhorn
Dec-11-2007, 11:09am
by far the nicest mt i have seen. i'd like to see them do a black on blond.

Jerry Byers
Dec-11-2007, 11:11am
You can't go wrong with a MT. Congrats on a good looking mandolin.

sgarrity
Dec-11-2007, 11:16am
Collings is reserving blonde quality wood for their higher end mandos these days. Here's a black/blonde MT2 Blonde MT2 (http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/Bumblebee.html)
I like this MT better. Love that one piece back

Kevin K
Dec-11-2007, 11:44am
Let's see that top. Is that the one with white purfling and tortoise binding?
Very nice and neat mandolin and they sure sound good.

kk

Jonathan James
Dec-11-2007, 11:55am
Yes, white w/tortoise binding. Here is a close up shot.

Rick Schmidlin
Dec-11-2007, 1:24pm
Purty

jasona
Dec-11-2007, 1:31pm
Very nice!

Kevin Briggs
Dec-11-2007, 2:16pm
Looks great! Let's get some sound clips.

surfandstrum
Dec-11-2007, 2:23pm
Very nice...did you know what you wanted when you started talking w/Greg or did the guys help you in the customizing of the beauty?...Congrats either way because you have a beauty there...

JEStanek
Dec-11-2007, 3:47pm
That's quite nice indeed! Very Nice! Ever thought of ebony tuner buttons?
Jamie

Jonathan James
Dec-11-2007, 3:53pm
I had a pretty clear idea of what I was after when I first talked to Chad at Greg Boyd's but he really worked closely with the guys at Collings to find the perfect back.

I did think about ebony tuner buttons. May give those a whirl at some point, but I had these nice tuners with pearl buttons already...

Kevin K
Dec-11-2007, 4:44pm
Ebony might look nice, but I think the white purfling, the white (or pearl), and white buttons really tie the mandolin together. It really looks classy.

LKN2MYIS
Dec-11-2007, 4:57pm
That is one beautiful instrument. Love the original Collings 'haircut' headstock. Very classy.

Play the heck out of it.

Scott Schmidt
Dec-11-2007, 7:10pm
Very sharp! #If I ever have an A built it will definitely have similar appointments! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

TeleMark
Dec-12-2007, 9:04am
Where did you get the strap button? Directly from Lynn?

I'm likely going to need one for the next stablemate (cello or mandola, still on the fence).

Jonathan James
Dec-12-2007, 9:34am
Yes, Lynn posted an ad a while ago under the "Mandolin Accessories" section of the Classifieds when he had 5 or 6 of these custom-made strap buttons. #You could contact him directly and see if he's making any more in the near future.

This is the closest I'll ever get to owning a *Dude*!

Dan Margolis
Dec-12-2007, 10:04am
That looks great. #Any thoughts of a pickguard to preserve that nice black finish? #It's so cool to order exactly what you want. #I've always bought used in order to save money (well, except for my Bales electric). #Enjoy it!

Reid Morsi
Dec-15-2007, 1:19am
That is one beautiful MT, i luv the Collings black top instruments.
When you contacted Collings about your one piece back did you send an email directly to Collings? or did you go through the dealer? (I guess Greg Boyd) I actually placed an order for a Custom Blonde Collings MF through Acoustic Music works in Pittsburgh, and I would love to get a one piece back to make it more unique, but i wasn't sure if that were an option, and i already got the gloss top and upgraded binding an didn't want to spend too much more. Anyways that is a Gorgeous mando that i am sure you will get some great use out of for many years to come

Jonathan James
Dec-15-2007, 12:07pm
I requested a no upcharge, one-piece back thru Chad at Greg Boyd's shop. I also sent some jpgs of the kind of back I was interested in. He then handled the interaction with Alex at Collings and it took a little longer to complete the build, but he found a nice one.