PDA

View Full Version : Visit to collings shop

Andrew Lewis
Dec-10-2007, 12:57am
I'm thinking about visiting the Collings shop in Austin and seeing if I can pick out a mandolin there on the spot. Does anyone know if this is something that they'll do? I know they take shop visits, and I've already sent them an email with my inquiry, but I'm curious if anyone's done this and how the experience was.

Rick Smith
Dec-10-2007, 4:23pm
I would think that everything Collings has in progress at any given time is spoken for by distributors. There's usually a pretty good waiting list from what I understand. It would be great to tour the factory though. I would love to.

Jonathan James
Dec-10-2007, 4:27pm
Speaking of the fine folks at Collings, I recently ordered a Collings MT blacktop thru Chad at Greg Boyd's shop and man, what a great experience. I asked for the wider nut, a one-piece back and a more rounded neck shape and the guys at Collings were extremely accomodating. Not to mention the gang at Greg Boyds. This mando is a beauty, and I can only imagine how great it will sound once it opens up more...

Rick Smith
Dec-10-2007, 4:55pm
Collings and Greg Boyd....both class acts.

mrauch
Dec-10-2007, 5:05pm
I was in Austin last year at a meeting and 4 of us decided to take a trip out to Collings (about 20 mi. out of town). They do group tours at certain times. Call or e-mail them for details. It was a great experience! Just terrific people, and a very interesting tour of the facility. Not sure, but I doubt you could pick out a mando in progress as I expect they are filling orders. But you could certainly order one to spec., as jjboone describes in another response. I just recently bought a slightly used MT-2, and absolutly love it. Have fun.

Walter Newton
Dec-10-2007, 5:31pm
I've done the tour (it's given every Friday afternoon) - it's great...but it's a factory, not a store, everything is in process for a dealer order. #You might get to stuff like finishes, inlays etc. on work in process that might give you some ideas for your own custom order...if I were you I'd just call Alex at Collings, he'll be able to answer any questions you have.

Andrew Lewis
Dec-10-2007, 11:25pm
That does make mroe sense. Thanks for the thoughts, folks. I'm going to try to do the tour next time I'm down there, and just keep my feelers out there for an MT2 that I like.