PDA

View Full Version : Calton case and heat?

T W Perez
Dec-07-2007, 7:38am
Just bought a Calton case,and though I don't plan on leaving my mando in a hot trunk was wondering how temperature resistant are they.My instrument fits like a glove in this thing.Just curious to how much I can get away with,as I travel and gig quite a bit.
Thanks

Big Joe
Dec-07-2007, 7:48am
Any place you are not comfortable, your mandolin is not either. The case will provide some protection, but not as much as you might think. If you want to check it out, just place your case on a picnic table in direct sunlight and come back about 20 minutes later. You will be amazed how much heat it has absorbed. The rule of thumb is NEVER leave your instrument in the trunk. I would add that unless there is no other option at all never put your instrument in the trunk.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-07-2007, 8:55am
The temperature inside the passenger compartment of a car parked in direct sunlight can reach 131 to 172 degrees Farenheight in 15 minutes. I'll step in and say the temperature inside the passenger compartment in the sunlight is much higher than inside the trunk. I would say never leave an instrument in a car but if you have to, I'd pick the trunk over the passenger compartment any day. The better choice is to not leave it in a car. I totally agree with Joe's statement that if you are not comfortable, your mandolin is not either.

sunburst
Dec-07-2007, 9:28am
BTW, I had a white Calton once, and I did Big Joe's test (with the case empty, of coarse, and without the picnic table). I left it in the August sun for 15 minutes or so, and it was still pretty cool inside. I like light colors for cases because they stay cooler longer in the sun, but it doesn't make much difference what color it is if it's in the hot car, that's too hot.

Salty Dog
Dec-08-2007, 1:06am
Even in the Caltons, they will warm pretty quickly if sitting beside you in the sun at a festival. I always take a blanket or a protective covering for the Calton to keep it out of the direct sunlight. Of course, the best answer is to keep it in the shade, if possible (but never leave it in the car or trunk!).

mandroid
Dec-08-2007, 4:09am
Physically the catalyzed resin chemically cures
from a liquid to a solid, not reversable. It will not change shape
made of fiberglass cloth and resin [Corvette cars are too]

is not to be confused with thermoplastics used by Gator, SKB and some others .
it is a sheet, heated in an oven, and vacuum molded into shape.

if it gets hot it wants to be a flat sheet again.

I'm just speaking about materials used in the case making,
no argument about bad overheating effects on the wood and wire treasure inside.

Dr. Jazz
Dec-11-2007, 10:14pm
White Caltons will never get hotter than the ambient temperature. Even in the hot sun. (except that the black bits will get hot and may transfer some of this to the case). A white car will not get as hot in the trunk as it does in the passenger compartment, though there will certainly be some transfer over time from the passenger compartment to the trunk.
Always best to get a White Calton.

Mike Bunting
Dec-11-2007, 10:33pm
I have a Colorado Case cover for my Calton, I suppose that it would work to level out temperatures. That said, I never ever leave my mando in a compromising situation.

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-12-2007, 8:11am
Seems like the standard view here is DON'T leave your Mandolin in the sun EVER - just in case (no pun intended).To comment on Richard's remark that thermo-formed cases ''want to be a flat sheet again'',that's true of some thermo-plastics,but not all have a MEMORY & want to get flat again. Still, not a good idea to leave a case in the sun,especially as the majority of moulded plastic cases are black.
I don't like PLAYING any of my instruments in full sun either. They get hot pretty quickly (or maybe that's just my playing !)& soon go out of tune. A nice shady spot
out of the sun suits me fine,
Saska

AlanN
Dec-12-2007, 8:15am
The only way I'll leave an instrument in the car on a hot day is if I cover all windows (from the inside) with cardboard cutouts, including windshield and back window. I have done this at festivals and it works well.

Cheryl Watson
Dec-12-2007, 8:39am
Shade is best, light colored case or cover is best--and one other trick is that if you have a large enough vehicle, you can get a very high quality, large cooler with several ice packs and leave your mandolin in the cooler (with the alarm on your vehicle or with the cooler chained and locked securely) and this works great for several hours, I am told. Never tried it though; anybody else try this?

I use a Travelite case with a Colorado case covering (silver grey) and if it is sunny and cool/breezy, I don't worry; sunny and warm, I get into the shade with it. Never had a problem yet and when you are an act at a festival, etc. there is always shade provided for the musicians.

Cheryl

Tom C
Dec-12-2007, 9:07am
Reflecting light and heat protection are not the same. A light colored case does not reflect heat, it reflects light. Try putting a white case and black case in the refrigerator or the oven where there is no light.

AlanN
Dec-12-2007, 9:11am
I'll pass on that litle test, thank you.