PDA

View Full Version : Proud owner of a new poe

Steve-o
Dec-05-2007, 7:38am
Poe #16 arrived at my house yesterday. It's an A5 beauty and everything I dreamed it would be. I'll post a few pics, and there's more pics and sound clips on Andy's web site Poe Strings (http://www.poestrings.com/PoeStrings/Home.html).

Here's the front, Engleman with a birds eye maple pic guard:

Steve-o
Dec-05-2007, 7:40am
Here's the back, one piece birds eye maple (same with the sides and neck). The photo doesn't do it justice. This baby is like a hologram - changes hue and depth as you look at it from different angles.

Steve-o
Dec-05-2007, 7:43am
And the headstock:

Kevin Briggs
Dec-05-2007, 7:46am
Hubbudda!

Sweet perfection at it's greatest. What a classy mandolin.

Sound clips, now!

sgarrity
Dec-05-2007, 8:34am
Andy is certainly cranking out some beautiful instruments!

JEStanek
Dec-05-2007, 8:34am
Kevin,
Soundclips (http://www.poestrings.com/PoeStrings/Recordings.html) are here... listen to Nathan on #16 1 and 2.

Jamie

EDIT: D'OH! Shoulda said... What a cool looking instrument. I dig Andy's headstock inlay quite a bit. The whole shebang is a beauty.

Mark Walker
Dec-05-2007, 8:38am
Steve-O - wow! Beautiful. I love that 'matching yet contrasting' pick guard too!

That's a keeper! Great work Andy!

Steve Cantrell
Dec-05-2007, 9:07am
Awesome Steve! Love the birdseye. The mandolin will only sound better as time goes by. It seems like mine gets a little more complex all the time.

mdlorenz
Dec-05-2007, 9:32am
georgeous

steve V. johnson
Dec-05-2007, 10:32am
Just fantastic!

Congratulations!!

woo... I'm... breathless...

stv

Doug Edwards
Dec-05-2007, 10:41am
Outstanding, love that Birdseye!

jasona
Dec-05-2007, 11:36am
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

mandopete
Dec-05-2007, 11:39am
Beautyous!

Milan Christi
Dec-05-2007, 11:44am
Man, that's gorgeous!
Congrats! and Happy Pickin'!

Skip Kelley
Dec-05-2007, 12:02pm
Sweet! That is an amazing looking mandolin! I love the peghead inlay! That is the coolest I have seen!

lovethemf5s
Dec-05-2007, 12:26pm
Really beautiful mandolin but is the Poe Strings website infected with a virus or adware? It sometimes freezes up on me or it moves and loads so slowly that I hate to even visit it. I know it's not a problem on my end because Poe Strings is the only site that does this to me.

swinginmandolins
Dec-05-2007, 12:29pm
Congrats on receiving a great looking mandolin. Andy does some great work. Pick in good health!

Chris Biorkman
Dec-05-2007, 12:30pm
It does that to me too. It wasn't that way when the site first went up.

mikeo2
Dec-05-2007, 12:45pm
Wow, these Poes just keep looking better and better. Congrats on a fantastic instrument and kudos to Andy!

LKN2MYIS
Dec-05-2007, 2:17pm
A stunning instrument. Enjoy it!

Jerry Byers
Dec-05-2007, 5:22pm
Great looking mandolin - nice choice of woods. The inlay is spectacular.

F5G WIZ
Dec-05-2007, 6:01pm
Another Beauty from Andy! #Love the birds eye, don't think I have seen any like that from Andy before. I bet waiting for the mando to warm up before opening the case was torture!#Anyone know who got #17? Congrats and welcome to the Poe mando club! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Steve-o
Dec-05-2007, 7:35pm
Thanks for all the nice comments and especially those that recognize Andy for his amazing craftsmanship. Going through the building process was a joy. Andy was very helpful, creative, and easy to deal with. Glad to be in the Poe club,
Steve

JeffD
Dec-05-2007, 11:40pm
A real beauty. How does it feel to play?

Steve-o
Dec-06-2007, 12:44pm
A real beauty. How does it feel to play?
Jeff - It's got great action and playability - reminds me of the Collings MT models. I really like how Andy set it up. It's also got amazing volume and sustain for a brand new mando.
- Steve

johnM
Dec-06-2007, 2:25pm
Sing with me...................i'm on the list, i'm on the list:laugh:

Walter
Dec-06-2007, 2:30pm
That is one beautiful instrument. Love the pick-guard, the MOP, and the black tuners. -Please post a few more photos if possible.

F5G WIZ
Dec-06-2007, 4:47pm
That is one beautiful instrument. #Love the pick-guard, the MOP, and the black tuners. #-Please post a few more photos if possible.
If you go to http://www.Poestrings.com there are more pictures there. Plus others and sound bites.

Darrin

Lane Pryce
Dec-07-2007, 7:08pm
Steve thats a real sweet A. I love the Collings' influenced peghead ---- really reminds me of my Mowry A. The inlay work has a cool retro vibe. And the birds eye ----- dude I cannot say enough good words to describe your new mandolin except enjoy it. Lp

Robert Moreau
Dec-07-2007, 8:58pm
That is a class act.

Awesome looking instrument!

Rob

Jim Kasperson
Dec-07-2007, 10:01pm
congrats That is probably the most attracctive mandolin I have ever seen.

Steve-o
Dec-08-2007, 9:17am
That is one beautiful instrument. #Love the pick-guard, the MOP, and the black tuners. #-Please post a few more photos if possible.
Thanks everyone for the positive reviews. I'm just blown away with the look, sound, and playability of this mando. I'll post a couple more pics for those having trouble with Andy's web site. He just updated his web site, and I think you will find improvements on access time.

Here's a full front shot:

Steve-o
Dec-08-2007, 9:18am
And a full back shot:

Andrew Faltesek
Dec-08-2007, 12:16pm
Unbelievable! Super Fine! Not enough superlatives to describe it.

12 months ago I was so settled and happy with my plain little STE...
You guys are makin' it tough not to indulge the desire for a world-class mando, which your beautiful Poe certainly is.

Amandalyn
Dec-08-2007, 1:46pm
Welcome to the club! I know will enjoy your mandolin as much as I am loving #8. I especially like your choice in headstock inlay design...:) (Andy and I worked a while creating this one)
Teri

Steve-o
Dec-08-2007, 2:25pm
Welcome to the club! I know will enjoy your mandolin as much as I am loving #8. I especially like your choice in headstock inlay design...:) (Andy and I worked a while creating this one)
Teri
Thanks Teri. Your #8 is a piece of art. And thanks for the #8 headstock inspiration. My artist wife and I both gravitated to it immediately.

Wilson
Dec-08-2007, 11:20pm
Steve, your are a lucky guy to have such a beautiful instrument. I think Andy outdoes himself with each new example of his art. I am especially happy to see that he has been able to continue his amazing craftsmanship despite his injury. Best wishes to you and #16.

Joel Spaulding
Dec-08-2007, 11:31pm
Steve-O - We are depleting the list of superlatives to describe this beautiful instrument. Another work of art.

I was unable to access Andy's website - I am very curious about the stand pictured above. Any info?

Thanks,

Joel

Wilson
Dec-09-2007, 8:58am
For some reason, Darrin's link didn't work, so I went through the old Driftwood site and found my way into poetones.com. Try this link: http://www.poetone.com. He has pictures up now through #17, which looks fantastic also.

ANP
Dec-09-2007, 12:15pm
Thanks everyone for all the kind compliments. It was a pleasure working with Steve on this mandolin. I am really happy that hes pleased with his new mandolin. #

Sorry about the problems with the web site. It was hosted on a mac server and there was a compatibility problem with mainly Internet Explorer. I had no idea that it was working so poorly until it was brought to my attention and I gave it a try myself. I have switched servers and it should be working properly now on all browsers.

Thanks again to all!

Andy Poe

www.poestrings.com (http://www.poestrings.com)

Steve-o
Dec-09-2007, 12:18pm
I was unable to access Andy's website - I am very curious about the stand pictured above. Any info?
Thanks Joel. That intriguing stand is Andy's. I'd suggest contacting him directly through the link on his web site. Wilson (thank you) has the correct link... and now Andy himself has confirmed it. Nice to see you on the cafe Andy. And yes, I am overwhelmingly impressed with #16 and your fine craftsmanship.

B. T. Walker
Dec-09-2007, 5:07pm
Steve-o, that's a beautiful mandolin. If I wasn't already on another builder's list, I'd be talking to Andy Poe, no lie.

bropete
Dec-09-2007, 10:31pm
Steve, Congrats! Enjoy!!! Andy, Beautiful work, inspiring. Pete

wmferg
Dec-12-2007, 5:20pm
Well, at least #16 is that much closer to #23....

SIGH.......

Can't wait! Congrats on a BEAUTIFUL mando.

Mike

Yonkle
Dec-13-2007, 1:11pm
Hubba Hubba- ooh la la !

dan@kins
Dec-13-2007, 3:06pm
Extremely tasteful aesthetics.

Nicest looking A I've seen (with F holes that is).

Who needs an F when you've got an A like that.

Very curious about the tone. If you ever get the chance, please post sound clips.

Steve-o
Dec-14-2007, 8:02pm
Very curious about the tone. #If you ever get the chance, please post sound clips.
Thanks for the admiring words, Dan. The tone is very sweet and balanced and getting more complex by the day. Andy posted a sound clip on his web site, See Nathan on #16 (http://www.poetone.com/Recordings.html)