PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight case

kmando
Dec-04-2007, 1:01pm
I am searching for a good lightweight case for a new mandolin. I currently own a travelite which seems to offer a good deal of protection. I have been looking online at the TKL Zero Gravity case, the ProTec case, and the lighweight Gator case. What do folks think of these? How do they compare to the Travelite? Any other suggestions?

Brad Weiss
Dec-04-2007, 1:04pm
I have an Eastman and a Travelite-both great. #My Phoenix won't fit in a Travelite, or I'd use one for it, as well. #Many luthiers ship in Travelites, and that seems a good recommendation.

JHo
Dec-04-2007, 1:12pm
I have a Featherlite II case by Saga which seems to work well, and is very light and not overly expensive. I assume it's a similar foamy material to the Travelite, just a oblong shape instead of the tapered shape. Compared to my Eastman plywood case (also a good case) the Featherlite sure does live up to its name.

Saga Featherlite II case (http://sagamusic.com/catalog/images/C-3720.jpg)

Don Grieser
Dec-04-2007, 1:38pm
I bought a TKL Zero Gravity and sent it back. It didn't fit any of my mandolins--the headstock was supporting the whole mandolin and the case wouldn't close. Couldn't quite figure out their design. YMMV.

Rick Schmidlin
Dec-04-2007, 3:58pm
My MF5 fits just fine in my Travelite , and I also have a Calton. This makes a perfect combo http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

SChase@EastmanStrings
Dec-04-2007, 6:49pm
Our fiberglass cases at Eastman are very lightwieght and durable.
Retail price is $155

MikeEdgerton
Dec-04-2007, 6:51pm
Actually the fiberglass Eastman case is quite light. However there is zero storage space inside for picks, tuners, etc. I had one for a few years and loved it except for that part.

Tim2723
Dec-06-2007, 10:54am
Mike, I have to agree. The lack of storage is what keeps me away from the Eastman product.

Kmando - What is the new instrument? It would help to know what mandolin we're trying to fit in the case.

JHo
Dec-06-2007, 11:57am
I also have an Eastman fiberglass case, and I'm very fond of it, though I feel it could use a little more space. However, now that I'm mostly carrying an A style mandolin in it, I find I do have a little extra space where the scroll of my F style would have been. Even so though, with some creativity I did manage to fit in (with an F style in there) a tuner, my pouch of picks, a spare set of strings, a humidifier, and a strap, still attached.

Another option is to get a little pouch made for a point and shoot digital camera, and attach it to the case shoulder strap (assuming you use one, I do but not the stock one) using the little belt loop on the back side of the pouch. I have done this in the past, and it nicely provides some more space for small tools, string winder, tuner battery, etc., things that don't necessarily need to be in the case, but are nice to have with it.

kmando
Dec-06-2007, 3:47pm
Well, I am happy to report that my Daley Classic (f style) is nearing completion. I though about a Calton case but I really do not think that I need that right now. I'm not jumping on any planes with the mando anytime soon. If truth be told, I have been very happy with the Travelite case that I use for my Weber. It's taken a few bumps and has protected my mandoin quite well. I just wondered if there was a better lightweight case out there. I'm disappointed that Modern Case (FQMS Supercase) went out of business.