PDA

View Full Version : Building a case

futrconslr
Jun-07-2004, 9:18pm
I didnt want to hijack a previous thread about foam for a case....Has anyone ever built a case? How did you do it and what did you make it out of?

dreads
Jun-07-2004, 10:47pm
I don't know much about building cases, but would say get some plywood, and thin strips for the sides, which can be bent and re-inforced with pieces of wood where needed. Cover with this stuff they use on amplifiers, which can be bought online somewhere I'm sure. Or go buy one.

douglas2cats
Jun-08-2004, 8:58am
If you're going to have curves in the shape, you probably want bending plywood instead of the regular stuff. Instead of alternating the grain direction of every other ply, it's got all the plys running in the same direction which allows it to remain more flexible. You can probably find it at a supplier that caters to cabinet makers or maybe marine/boatmaking suppliers.

Rob Anderson
Jun-08-2004, 9:13am
Hello,
Give me a call, I'll tell you how to do it fairly cheaply and painlessly. Too much info to relate here in print. I've built around 50 cases in the last couple of years. The only thing you can't find through ordinary sources is the hardware and I'd be happy to help out fellow mandolin players by selling you hardware for my cost plus shipping.
There's no way to build a case for less than $50 plus alot of time so if you are looking for a cheaper alternative, this is not the way to go. It is a fun project though, and not too hard to complete in a day or two of work.
Thanks,
Rob Anderson-Dunamis Designs 920-989-1396