PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hear of billy bean?

mandroid
Dec-02-2007, 1:57am
String Bean , played banjo - in the grand ol opry, but he passed on a few years back.

4and4
Dec-02-2007, 2:36am
hmmmmm. I had heard this was a pretty good site for ALL levels of players. Maybe I heard wrong! Since I asked if anyone had ever heard of the man, AND since this IS a valid question. I would appreciate witholding the wise cracks for someone who might appreciate them!

Geoff B
Dec-02-2007, 2:52am
I've never heard of that brand/builder, perhaps more info from the label, or even a picture of it could help. How does it sound?

Geoff B
Dec-02-2007, 2:58am
found a couple sites with his name on there:
jazz guitarist? (http://www.fretsonly.com/xcart/MAKIN-IT-AGAIN-pr-7143.html)
response on another forum? (http://www.tommyjordan.com/L-00_saga.htm)
Good luck!

4and4
Dec-02-2007, 3:16am
Geoff, it sounds great. I just got in from a big jam that we hold on a regular basis. This mandolin was played by a guy who has a very nice varnished Duff. He thought enough of it to ask if I would sell it to him.. I just got it today, so the answer was "no". It's quite a bit woodier than the Duff, and somewhat louder. cosmetically it is a fairly rough mandolin. But, I have heard mandolins that would rival the best out there, that looked like they were created with a pocket knife. I don't always judge ANYTHING by looks alone. I'll try and get a good shot of the label tomorrow..

jim simpson
Dec-02-2007, 11:06am
I agree that sound trumps looks - it's great when you get both and there is usually a cost relative to that. I would guess that this is an early effort by the maker - it's great that he put his name on it.
There are so many folks making small numbers of mandolins - they are just under the radar.
I've never made a complete F-5, just re-topped one. The scroll/binding work in itself is enough to ward off the faint of heart.
Glad you found one that sounds great.

mandolirius
Dec-02-2007, 11:35am
Just curious - why do you refer to this as a "master model"? Is that what the maker calls it? Does he make more than one model?

4and4
Dec-02-2007, 1:13pm
That's what it says on the label. Bean "Master Model". Very detailed label stating the warranty. I've been trying to get a good picture of that label with little success. I've got a better camera at the office.

Frank Russell
Dec-03-2007, 12:44pm
Is this him?

Paul Kotapish
Dec-03-2007, 1:06pm
hmmmmm. I had heard this was a pretty good site for ALL levels of players. Maybe I heard wrong! Since I asked if anyone had ever heard of the man, AND since this IS a valid question. I would appreciate witholding the wise cracks for someone who might appreciate them!
Hey Ed,

The wisecracks come with the territory here. There is no disrespect intended, and everyone here is really helpful and supportive. If any knows anything about Mr. Bean the luthier, you'll get a straight answer. In the meantime, the joshing is just for fun.

I wasn't able to find out anything about Billy Bean either. There was a great but somewhat obscure bop guitarist named Billy Bean, and a recently out-of-the-closet baseball phenom named Billy Bean, and a small-time English comic on the dinner circuit named Billy Bean, but I can't find a luthier named Billy Bean.

Good luck.

olgraypat
Dec-05-2007, 10:38am
....and then there is the Mexican dude, Guillermo Frijoles...but I don't think he makes mandolins either..

ellisppi
Dec-06-2007, 6:18pm
I know Billy Bean, haven't seen him in years. He lived in Anderson, Texas, probably still does. I don't know if he's the maker, but its likely.

bjh
Dec-06-2007, 11:30pm
I think there was a fellow on the Flatpick-L list named Billy Bean (from Texas I think) and he kindly sent me copies of a brochure that featured Gurian Guitars. Maybe he's a guitar player?

AlanN
Dec-07-2007, 7:43am
And there was "Billy Carter, a 6-pack and cold steel"

mjblcb509mando
Dec-12-2007, 9:52am
Then Michael Jackson sang about a boy named Billy Jean

allenhopkins
Dec-12-2007, 10:24am
Billy Beane (note spelling) is GM of the Oakland Athletics. No connection to the mandolin has been established, but his "Billyball" style of team architecture results in hiring a lot of "banjo hitters"...

MandoBen
Dec-12-2007, 10:57am
Billy Beane (note spelling) is GM of the Oakland Athletics. #No connection to the mandolin has been established, but his "Billyball" style of team architecture results in hiring a lot of "banjo hitters"...
I think you mean Billy Martin

Eric F.
Dec-12-2007, 12:26pm
Not to be persnickety, but ... Billy Martin's been dead since 1989. Billy Beane is alive and well in Oakland. Then there is Billy Bean, a former major league outfielder who came out of the closet after retirement. Neither Bean, so far as I know, makes mandolins.

blacksmith
Dec-12-2007, 12:47pm
Well, this certainly has bean interesting.

allenhopkins
Dec-12-2007, 3:52pm
Rolling down the Highjack Highway, and replying to MandoBen: "Billyball" was term first applied to Billy Martin's style when he managed the A's -- base stealing, hit-and-run, less emphasis on power hitting.

In its current form, as applied to Billy Beane's tenure as A's GM, it refers to signing players who have a high on-base perecentage, and a high level of productivity relative to their salary cost, rather than going after high-profile sluggers. Results have been a consistently contending franchise, but one that seems to lack the highest-quality stars that might take them to a Series championship. Beane has not worked hard to retain his stars (Tejada, Giambi, Mulder etc.) and has preferred to work with younger players from the farm system, or obtained via trades.

Beane reportedly uses complicated statistical analyses to select players who fit his system. Here's (http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/70/beane.html) an article on his tenure with the A's, and his system (called "Beane Ball" in this case).

Enough hot stove, back to hot pickin'...

Jonathan Peck
Dec-12-2007, 5:36pm
I've never played one myself, but I read that they are dryer and louder than a Duff http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

There is a Billy Bean on the Flatpick-L. I will PM you his contact info.