PDA

View Full Version : Nashville Mandolin Ensemble

aimee
Jun-07-2004, 9:45am
Have any of you been to see/hear this group? They are appearing at a venue near us this summer. One of the other featured artists on the same stage is the Klezmatics, which sounds really cool.

AlanN
Jun-07-2004, 10:05am
The NME is Butchie and company, used to be about 9 players, now I think it's down. Good, varied program of timeless music.

Clamdigger
Jun-07-2004, 10:41am
I saw them last June. Butch Baldasarri and three other guys who are all good. They played from Bach to the Beatles with a bit of Bill Monroe in between. You won't be dissapointed. Clamdigger

John Zimm
Jun-07-2004, 10:41am
I saw them this past winter and loved the show. I enjoyed the classical music more than the pops-sounding Beatles tunes, but they were all good. I am sure you won't regret seeing them if you go.

-John.

Jun-07-2004, 11:04am
they are great!

aimee
Jun-07-2004, 11:27am
Good to know, guys. Knew I could count on the folks here at the cafe'.

Bluegrasstjej
Jun-07-2004, 12:09pm
I bought a CD with them, with Christmas songs, years ago and I just loved it.

AlanN
Jun-07-2004, 1:58pm
Yep, "Gifts" was the holiday recording. Cover has a nice shot of a red fern Loar. And one tune on there just cooks - "Sleigh Ride" - Fred Carpenter very nicely states the melody, then the take-off solos are by Richard Kriehn and Aubrey Haynie - simply terrific mandolin playing.

RobP
Jun-07-2004, 7:15pm
I just got Bach Beatles and Bluegrass in a trade from Butch. #Really nice CD -- even nice for those who dont care for the "usual" flavors of mandolin music!

Rob

Big Joe
Jun-08-2004, 9:00am
FYI... Our own Charlie Derrington was one of the founding members of the Nashville Mandolin Ensemble and was a member for many years, including their first few recordings. Lots of good guys in the group over the years. Gene Ford was the guitar player for many years. Great guitarist and one of the best guys I've ever known.